Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mapping

The DJI Pilot app does work with the Spark (with some limitations). DJI does not officially support using Pilot with any consumer drones.

Not all functions of Pilot are available when using Spark because it was designed for more sophisticated commercial drones. Pretty sure mapping is not available on Pilot when combined with Spark.

Fortunately there are good mapping apps from third party developers that better support the Spark (ex. Pix4Dcapture)

How do you use the dji pilot app
Try DJI GS Pro. It doesn't say it supports Spark, but it does. I used it to plan and execute several mapping missions. Make sure to orient the camera/gimbal to nadir manually before starting the mission; it took me a while figure this out :)

Reactions: basily
nuzhet, Mike doesn't ask for another alternative App, he ask specific for how to use the DJI Pilot App.

Yes. The OP was asking how the DJI Pilot app works. But he says owns a Mavic Pro Platinum -- and he's on the Spark Forum.

Tons of info about Pilot app on MavicPilots Forum and YouTube.

• Wow
Reactions: MarRoh
Tons of info about Pilot app on MavicPilots Forum and YouTube.
I already said in the post #6 that's YouTube maybe can help. The hint with MavicPilots is new to me. I am a member of MavicPilots but I am not visit the side a lot. I will try the DJI Pilot App this weekend for my self... but as a Litchi App owner I expect not to much from the DJI Pilot App. ;)

Reactions: Haggi
The DJI Pilot app does work with the Spark (with some limitations). DJI does not officially support using Pilot with any consumer drones.

Not all functions of Pilot are available when using Spark because it was designed for more sophisticated commercial drones. Pretty sure mapping is not available on Pilot when combined with Spark.

Fortunately there are good mapping apps from third party developers that better support the Spark (ex. Pix4Dcapture)
The Spark’s gimbal does not look straight down. It’s limited to 85 deg down, so it’s not good for mapping.

No need to try. I use a different drone for aerial mapping, Doesn't not looking straight down distort the photos, or does post processing software automatically correct the distortions?

Thanks for the clarity on this
I haven't been on the Mavic pilot site alot . I have been flying my spark more and was looking at the apps for mapping and was just wondering if it would work for it or not.
Thanks guys

Thanks for the clarity on this
I haven't been on the Mavic pilot site alot . I have been flying my spark more and was looking at the apps for mapping and was just wondering if it would work for it or not.
Thanks guys

I’ve been meaning to try mapping with my Spark, but the weather has been bad. I may get a chance tomorrow to fly a trial mission, but I won’t have ground control points so I may not be able to check the accuracy of the data. Maybe I’ll fly a local football field, which is flat and may have lines I can measure as a rough check of the accuracy. In any case, I suspect that the gimbal issue mentioned above will introduce parallax errors. Note the apparent non-parallel “vertical” lines in the attached photo, which I took at 85-deg from vertical rather than 90-deg. There are fewer pixels between the “vertical” lines at the top of any square than at the “bottom” of the same square. There should be about the same number of pixels. When the post-processing software does its thing, I don’t know how this error will be handled. I don’t worry about it with my survey drones where the gimbals hold the camera looking straight down. On the other hand, there’s still some lens distortion in the photos even if the camera looks straight down, and that doesn’t seem to noticeably affect the quality of the survey,

Anyway, I’ll let you know if I find anything out.C94CD471-2AF8-4D81-B925-D86A24D20A65.jpeg

I’ve been meaning to try mapping with my Spark, but the weather has been bad. I may get a chance tomorrow to fly a trial mission, but I won’t have ground control points so I may not be able to check the accuracy of the data. Maybe I’ll fly a local football field, which is flat and may have lines I can measure as a rough check of the accuracy. In any case, I suspect that the gimbal issue mentioned above will introduce parallax errors. Note the apparent non-parallel “vertical” lines in the attached photo, which I took at 85-deg from vertical rather than 90-deg. There are fewer pixels between the “vertical” lines at the top of any square than at the “bottom” of the same square. There should be about the same number of pixels. When the post-processing software does its thing, I don’t know how this error will be handled.
Anyway, I’ll let you know if I find anything out.View attachment 10511

Sorry I can’t check because I use MapsMadeEasy’s flight planning/control app for mapping and it appears that it doesn’t connect with the Spark (I just tried). Sorry.

The Spark’s gimbal does not look straight down. It’s limited to 85 deg down, so it’s not good for mapping.

If you modify the camera pitch you can get 90 deg, or nadir

If you modify the camera pitch you can get 90 deg, or nadir

Yes, but how does one modify the pitch limit on the gimbal? Is it a software or hardware mod, or both? I’ve assumed it’s both and never looked into it since my Spark is still under warranty. Have you done the mod? Can you provide directions for the mod(s)?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Yes, but how does one modify the pitch limit on the gimbal? Is it a software or hardware mod, or both? I’ve assumed it’s both and never looked into it since my Spark is still under warranty. Have you done the mod? Can you provide directions for the mod(s)?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

It's a feature of the DJI Go 4 app, this clip shows where it's located.
Just set it down to -5.0 and you'll get a vertical camera:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme