Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mavic Mini

It's disappointing when the Spark replacement omits things we use all the time. The controller no longer has the 2 programmable buttons, the gimbal tilt control, sport mode switch and, most importantly, the pause button.
So, I wonder how you control the gimbal? Through the app?

Other question, assuming the FAA doesn't change the regulations, what exactly does that mean for recreational type people who fly the mini? I'm assuming you can't fly in restricted airspace (duh), but does that mean you don't have to register and take the test when it finally rolls out? If you've already registered, if you switch to the mini, does that mean you can avoid taking the test? (I've got concerns about the cost of test and the distance I would have to travel to the closest testing facility.)

Last edited:
From what I understand, and I don't have first-hand information, white balance is automatic only. In movie mode, shutter speed us automatic only. In still mode, shutter speed is adjustable. Go figure...

(I've got concerns about the cost of test and the distance I would have to travel to the closest testing facility.)
According to the FAA website, "The new law also requires Drone operators to pass an online aeronautical knowledge and safety test and carry proof of test passage". The Part 107 tests are administered at specific locations, but I'm hoping "online' here means you could do it from any computer to which you have access like you did with registering your drone. We'll see.

Reactions: repete7
So, I wonder how you control the gimbal? Through the app?

Other question, assuming the FAA doesn't change the regulations, what exactly does that mean for recreational type people who fly the mini? I'm assuming you can't fly in restricted airspace (duh), but does that mean you don't have to register and take the test when it finally rolls out? If you've already registered, if you switch to the mini, does that mean you can avoid taking the test? (I've got concerns about the cost of test and the distance I would have to travel to the closest testing facility.)

In USA, the sub 250 gram thing isn't very significant. You don't have to register it, but everything else applies. In some other countries, it's a pretty major thing. In the UK, it's still an evil life threatening drone that can get you a life sentence.

Agreed, because this new mini-mav is not aimed at us. It's aimed at the new entry-level crowd (which I was). Our step up is the Mavic 2. This is a step sideways in most respects for you and me, but still wish I had the 3-axis gimbal and longer flight time.

That does make more and more sense the more I read. Well, I will be hanging on to my little spark for a while, then. Thank you for your thoughts.

I like the 30 minutes flight time - but in the EU/CE you've got very restricted range so I'm wondering how useful this will be in practice. Ok it is a small drone so you may not want to fly too far out of sight but on my Spark I'm frequently getting issues with picture breakup and RTH at (what I consider) quite moderate range. It would be nice if some of the YouTube tests looked at this but maybe all the reviewers have high power models?

Lack of camera controls is not a biggie for me, just flying a drone taxes my brain enough so I may be in the target market. The film quality looks pretty good.

No follow me? Well it never really works well with the Spark so maybe no loss but apparently it works well on the newer drones, pity we don't get this as a small drone with good follow me and good battery life would be great - maybe down to lack of collision avoidance?

i just preordered the minithe intro model not the fly more.. dji charges tax that they dont tell you about 430 bucks for the mini.. ill buy an extra batt off ebay when they become avail and a extra charger... dji in their ad dont say preorder it says buy now its not even shipping yet.. that gets to me.. so you can preorder and it ships like in a week or so... just in time for xmas... hopefully its good.. i sold my crappy spark i hated the spark.. spent all that money sold it for 200 bucks when i had 550 dolalrs into it.. everyone is cheap nowadays if you dont sell on ebay you wont get your asking price craiglist sucks they all want it for 100 bucks or less yea 100 bucks... people suck.. lol..

I like the 30 minutes flight time - but in the EU/CE you've got very restricted range so I'm wondering how useful this will be in practice. Ok it is a small drone so you may not want to fly too far out of sight but on my Spark I'm frequently getting issues with picture breakup and RTH at (what I consider) quite moderate range. It would be nice if some of the YouTube tests looked at this but maybe all the reviewers have high power models?

Lack of camera controls is not a biggie for me, just flying a drone taxes my brain enough so I may be in the target market. The film quality looks pretty good.

No follow me? Well it never really works well with the Spark so maybe no loss but apparently it works well on the newer drones, pity we don't get this as a small drone with good follow me and good battery life would be great - maybe down to lack of collision avoidance?
its not 30 minutes it will prolly be 20 or less... dji flies with no wind in side a building and hovers and moves slow around aka side to side.. real world will be max 23 minutes no youtuber has ever shown the actual flight time from the screen dji said dont when they sent them for review and thats another thing that pisses me off they send all the youtubers the drone make it seem like its out and all. the youtubers never ever put it on a scale and show the actual weight... they never show the screen app never ever show quirks cons etc they've had it for like 3 weeks over a month now and well never trust bought reviews ever... dji sent stipulations on how to demo it and paid them.. with the drone or actual cash.. and they sent the drone to tubers with only 50k subs that ticks me off youd think they would only sent it to drone reviewers but well casey neistat has it and i hate that guy... etc etc... dude limit it to a handful of trusted people...

ive asked to and i have 1k subs and they ignored me i guess the min is 50k lol dji better better not let us down again.... this thing better be the hype its intended too... see enhanced wifi wha tis that huh... freq hopping on channels? you better have that.. freq diversity like on the phantoms and hopping better have that.. to be able to do the 3 miles like it says it can you need that.. so i dont see how this tiny drone has a 1 watt transmitter in it like the spark did i say it flies about less than a mile to a mile tops.... which is fine for me but a disappointment to others

At this point, I’m only moderately jealous of the longer flight time, better camera, and better gimbal. Seems like the Spark is equal to, or better than, the MM in other aspects. I know it’s not a major thing but I very much dislike the removable joy stick knobs on the Mavic series and I hate it that DJI is sticking with it.

The MM isn’t a product I’ll rush out to buy to replace my Spark. I’ll likely upgrade drones in the future but it’s not looking like it’ll be the MM.
i had to sell my spark just to afford this thing... and not even the fly more combo or even care fresh warranty. care fresh wanted 40 bucks then if you need to send a new one you pay 40 more then another one 90 more.. really ticks me off i paid 40 bucks or 80 and your gunna prolly give me a used one someone fixed ....see folks dji is like apple they dont care... i gave them a 3rd chance with this mini i bought off them if this fails then im out no more dji products.. ill build my own

At this point, I’m only moderately jealous of the longer flight time, better camera, and better gimbal. Seems like the Spark is equal to, or better than, the MM in other aspects. I know it’s not a major thing but I very much dislike the removable joy stick knobs on the Mavic series and I hate it that DJI is sticking with it.

The MM isn’t a product I’ll rush out to buy to replace my Spark. I’ll likely upgrade drones in the future but it’s not looking like it’ll be the MM.
the spark has this over the mini..it feels better built aka tough thick etc.. the spark has a better remote the mini they took off a few buttons but there in the app this is how they saves mony to sell it so cheap... they lightened the casing it does feel like cheap plastic one youtuber confirmed they had to cut holes in to get the weight down.. sure obsitcal avoidance is on the spark whoopty do... what most people want is the weight and flight time and 3 axis gimbal which dji finally delieverd and 2.7 k.. you have give in take you can only put so much stuff on this drone the mini is the size of a phone.. a 100 to 120 mm size drone the ones that fly for 3 minutes and have cameras so yea its small and to get 30 minutes like they claim wow a nd have a camera and tranismit it like any other dji product.. its y i bought one

I was pretty excited with this until I looked at specs and it looks like it's still just basic WiFi control. Cue the constant fly aways or disconnects.... bye bye drone.... :(
why does everyone say its wifi. wifi is a protocol for routers its 2.4 ghz enhanced meaning it prolly will hop channels or hop and have diversity... the spark didnt hop channels locked on to a channel and only flew 1.2 miles the mini doubles that why because it transmits on 13 channels at once and hops around so it should be better the phantoms and the mavic pros use freq diversity antennas and hopping and transmit video on the same channel.. so it will be fine... now the transmitt power i hope is higher.. the spark did 1 watts on the transmitter and 1 watt on the drone.. thats why they b oth got hot.... to make up for the lack of hopping... a strong signal and it goes farther.. now the mini will mostlikely be 500 millawatts or close to 1 watt on the drone.. why well 8.4 volts is why and only 2400 mah so they had to do hopping and diversity your cell phone only does 500 millawatts but towers are like 3 miles apart and from and you can hear and talk etc get internet and they are even higher in band than 2.4 ghz.. what they need to do is do 400 mhz or 900 mhz do hopping diversity and 1 watt but they wont because fcc wont certifiy that because old house phones and new ones use 900 mhz but cant hop around.. folks our spektrum is cluttered with to many things... crap if 1 watt and 30mhz can go 20 miles why aint it on drones etc because ham radio etc.. limits bandwith unless someone smart comes up with a new transmission way like tunneling or reverse signals on the same bands etc etc... or sub space communications lol like in startrek so yea it should be fine just go 100 feet high aim your antennas at it or in its relative position and youll be fine and just fly less than a mile you dont need to fly 50 miles

You’ll hare them less when you drop your controller and one breaks.

Honestly, I was not expecting the Mini to be so crippled.
There is no White Balance control, ISO, no Panorama, no Bracketing, No Burst, No tracking, etc.
Remains to be seen if it can be used with Litchi, etc, etc.
So I'm not interested at all.
Perhaps if hackers get to modify the firmware next year or so to unleash more capabilities but for now is Spark and P4P for me.
Yeah a hack would perk my interest if it opened up some new features, but there is still so many things missing on the Mini. Just on the remote control alone there is no ability to set function buttons. ?

This is not looking good. The very familiar issue of weak signal that we see with the Spark seems to be there in the Mavic Mini as well. Only time will tell how new drone pilots are able to cope with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: I B Spectre
Maybe it's not a flaw...yeah, maybe it's a "feature"...you know, to get people excited. It seemed to work on those guys.

Maybe it's not a flaw...yeah, maybe it's a "feature"...you know, to get people excited. It seemed to work on those guys.

I see what DJI is trying to do by introducing the Mavic mini with a totally new app and stripping it of features like Active track and manual camera settings. They are only targeting the people who have never flown a drone before and who would never complain of not getting those features. And with the new app they are trying to make sure that it won't be easy for someone to mod it (atleast for the time being) and unlock features which are available in the high end mavics. 2.7K video with a 3-axis gimbal at less than 250grams and 30mins of flight time seems like a very good deal at $399 even sans those features. But DJI wouldn't want to hear fly away stories due to loss of signal on their latest drone again. We will have to wait and watch how the mavic mini performs at the hands of rookie pilots.

Reactions: I B Spectre

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast