Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mavic Pro?

idbl_fanatic

Join
Jan 9, 2018
I love my Spark, but I am seriously considering getting a Mavic Pro, what are the Pro/Cons that you see?

Pros that I see are:
Range (Ocusync)
Longer flight time
About the same size folded up
Gimbal

Cons:
Heavier
Louder

That is a tough question for anyone to answer. Mavik pro is much larger and therefore more intrusive in the air. Spark is almost un-noticable and draws very little attention. If those and the obvious price difference are not an issue, then the Mavik Pro is most likely the best choice. It will outperform Spark in all categories. The question for you to decide is are those improvements are worth the added cost and will you actually use them?

If I could afford a Mav Pro I'd jump on it! It's camera is superior (even over the Mavic Air) and like Bob said it will beat the Spark in all categories. I'm curious why you're considering the Mavic over a Phantom 4?

I would add a plus for the Spark: it's cheaper to replace when you lose it.
I'am concerned since I lost mine 3 days ago in a 70ft tree...:eek:

Folded the Maverick is still slightly larger than a spark & is more than twice as heavy. The extra batteries are also heavier.
I like that the sparks friendly, almost toy-like appearance when flying, The general public seem to be much less intimidated by a spark.

Reactions: perrylawrence
I own both and use both. Occusynch,battery time,and camera are deciding point. I never fly both at the same time but if it’s a bit windy I take my MAVIC. Occusynch gives me the piece of mine

I love my Spark, but I am seriously considering getting a Mavic Pro, what are the Pro/Cons that you see?

Pros that I see are:
Range (Ocusync)
Longer flight time
Gimbal

Cons:
Heavier
Louder
I have both Spark and Mavic Pro. Mavic Pro flies 10X better than Spark, but I have found it very difficult to dial in a camera setting that I like as much as the Spark. If you are making videos of wide open spaces, then a Mavic is a good choice. If you like to film architecture, or events, then Spark is a good choice.
If I fly 10 times, Spark is used 6 or 7 of those times. It's just easier to use, less invasive (people think it's cute), video looks good straight out of the camera (no color correction, and no color grading in post) and I don't concern myself with crashing the drone. The Spark can take a pounding, the Mavic Pro is far more delicate. If you crash the Mavic Pro, it's probable that the gimbal will be destroyed, and that's another $200 to $350.
Spark is for everyday people point and shoot
Mavic is for artists, and yet if that's your desire, go for the phantom 4 advanced, or pro, both of which have a better camera.
I look forward to a Spark 2/Pro with a 3 axis gimbal, 2.7K, gimbal follow mode in sport mode (as opposed to the horrific FPV), and free form mode in tapfly. Unfortunately, Spark 2/pro may never happen. I know there is Mavic Air, which has all of those features, but I think Spark is more robust, and will be more affordable; especially to replace.

Last edited:
I have both Spark and Mavic Pro. Mavic Pro flies 10X better than Spark, but I have found it very difficult to dial in a camera setting that I like as much as the Spark. If you are making videos of wide open spaces, then a Mavic is a good choice. If you like to film architecture, or events, then Spark is a good choice.
If I fly 10 times, Spark is used 6 or 7 of those times. It's just easier to use, less invasive (people think it's cute), video looks good straight out of the camera (no color correction in post) and I don't concern myself with crashing the drone. The Spark can take a pounding, the Mavic Pro is far more delicate. If you crash the Mavic Pro, it's probable that the gimbal will be destroyed, and that's another $200 to $350.
Spark is for everyday people point and shoot
Mavic is for artists, and yet if that's your desire, go for the phantom 4 advanced, or pro, both of which have a better camera.
I look forward to a Spark 2/Pro with a 3 axis gimbal, 2.7K, gimbal follow mode in sport mode (as opposed to the horrific FPV), and free form mode in tapfly. Unfortunately, Spark 2/pro may never happen. I know there is Mavic Air, which has all of those features, but I think Spark is more robust, and will be more affordable; especially to replace.

That's an excellent comparison, my question is whether you have the same comments for the Mavic Air? I'm thinking about getting one for the better range etc, but don't know whether I should just hold on to the Spark.

Kulu, the Maverick Air, would be somewhere between the spark & mav’ pro. Like Richard said the Air has the attributes a lot of people want to see in the “Spark 2”. We all have to figure out what drone best suits our particular wants. We have different priorities

That's an excellent comparison, my question is whether you have the same comments for the Mavic Air? I'm thinking about getting one for the better range etc, but don't know whether I should just hold on to the Spark.
I don't own the Mavic Air. I have watched many videos about the air from the release until now, and have asked owners of both, which one would they keep MP, or MA if they had to make a choice. They replied publicly MP. I don't believe they own the Spark.

I have a Mavic Pro and just got a Spark and agree with Richard Ruckert. The Mavic Pro is a DSLR (maybe more prosumer?) and the Spark is a point and shoot. If you want more granular control of the camera, the Mavic is in the right direction, Phantom is even better. When I had a Phantom it seemed to bother people for no reason other than it was the drone every news story threw up as the image of the "Are drones invading your privacy?" segment. The Mavic was much better received in the same flight spaces, and the Spark barely turns heads as most seem to see it as a toy and not a threat.

Pros:
Better Range
2x Flight Time
3-axis Gimbal
More granular camera controls
4k video
Handles wind better
Faster
Waypoints in Litchi
Wireless connection to DJI Goggles
Dual operator capable