Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Motors stopped at 100 metres while in LANDING mode

That action would require a very conscious action and I know I did not do it. I just took a look at the playback and it shows that the sticks were centered during the descent and movement only occurred when, as I said, I saw the motors work again and I regained control and pushed the drone up a bit.
That method does not work on the spark

You are wrong, read the manual before making such outlandish statements. Page 49 at the top, black and white, hold the sticks for 1.5 seconds. Dont give advice out your @$$. Prople read these forums looking for answers, not your assumptions.
Look who's calling The Pot Black that method has been taken out of the spark the manual is out of date

You are wrong, read the manual before making such outlandish statements. Page 49 at the top, black and white, hold the sticks for 1.5 seconds. Dont give advice out your @$$. Prople read these forums looking for answers, not your assumptions.

Tone down the anger, dude. The stick movement will work if, and only if, the drone is on the ground or it detects a problem. Take it up in the air, app detects as normal....tight spirals.

DJI has confirmed this on the official forums.

Edit: here is the thread.
Combination Stick Command (CSC) during flight is disabled in Spark

Last edited:
Normally, I use RTH to bring the drone within close range and then stop it and manually guide it to land. It's not always accurate enough to land on the GPS home point so I handle the last bit myself. .
Maybe try to avoid to use RTH. I use that only when fpv fails and i accidently flew out of LOS. RTH ist a nice technology but it hast way to less redundant systems in the Spark for regular automated flights. So If one thing fails, it will go crazy - so better do not use it in normal situations. These Hobby drones are not designed to fly completely unattended - so better control it yourself when you can.
I made the experience, that most crashes or going crazy situations happend when i am in a fully or semi automated mode...

Too weird , I tested it 3 times, worked 3 times from one meter. Have you tried it? No anger at all. Just facts supr.
Go higher. At 1M the craft detects the ground is close, it may even believe it is already on the ground, and the CSC is available to turn off motors on the ground. Try as another user did, go over a soft landing spot and get higher. And yes, I have tried it, while making this thing spin like crazy in sport mode.

Also, no facts were said. You brought forth undue hostility and accuse me of talking out my rear. And yet, I have more experience with this drone than you. YOU made the assumption, YOU gave the incorrect advice. Heck, I give you a link to the facts straight from DJI and you still think it's wrong? Lol

Here is how it is: DJI got tired of dealing with newbies accidentally doing a CSC mid air and destroying their drones, so they limited it's function. Yeah, many argue the safety aspects of not being able to kill it mid air, and I will probably agree with you, but that doesn't change what DJI decided to do.

Reactions: koffe
Thanks for agreeing, haha! I doubt I will try this any higher than 1 meter. I was training another pilot in a gymnasiun and he contacted the wall ever so gently. It dropped like a rock from 2 meters and broke the arm off. My fault for not using prop guards. The frame is more brittle than I would have expected. Don't make assumptions you are more experienced, it has no relevance. I train people to fly the whole line of DJI products my company owns. I study online material and know how much BS is posted, it wastes my time reading BS and then finding out its BS. I strive to have the most accurate info available. I test things I read before commenting. So maybe I get a bit annoyed. I will take your word it doesn't work higher than 1 meter and update my training material considering you say you have tested it. Sorry if I offended you. (Smirk)

Not offended, Bob, just have no patience for people who jump on others because they think they know better. Like you said, people come here for help, not BS answers. I'm glad you do your best to be accurate, me too, but in being your best, you should understand that sometimes others may know better. Next time instead of accusing someone of talking our their rear, perhaps ask how they acquired that knowledge, because yours is different. Learn. Understand. Peace.

Ya, I agree,not a bad idea. Maybe next time. Peace.
So getting back to the original question...... why did his spark drop?

Maybe try to avoid to use RTH. I use that only when fpv fails and i accidently flew out of LOS. RTH ist a nice technology but it hast way to less redundant systems in the Spark for regular automated flights. So If one thing fails, it will go crazy - so better do not use it in normal situations. These Hobby drones are not designed to fly completely unattended - so better control it yourself when you can.
I made the experience, that most crashes or going crazy situations happend when i am in a fully or semi automated mode...
I agree, I have had some bad experiences with RTH on a phantom 4, a few times things were going bad, dropping altitude and not following the course. So I rarely use it. HOWEVER.... I was flying an Inspire 2 in -35 celcius and my ipad quit due to the cold. As this happened, my spotter had just lost sight of it. My only option was RTH. I must say that day it saved my butt. Brought it back into visual contact where I could resume control and land without incident. I have now made a heating pad for the ipad to prevent it quitting on me again. And yes, I know it is not recommended to fly the Inspire 2 below -20 but the risk of failure is still outweighed by the cost of using a helicopter. So my advice is to use RTH only as a last ditch effort to save your Spark. Just make sure your RTH elevation is set at a safe height for your surroundings, and your home point is set to where you want it to return to (most important). A friend of mine told me about a trip he was on. They were on a car ferry. He saw a guy get a brand new mavik pro out of the box and start to set it up, a definite newbie. My friend warned him not to take of from a moving vessel. He said he would just take off and land. As soon as he took off, it appeared to runaway, but it was just the motion of the ferry leaving it behind, the pilot attempted to fly "back" but was not able due to his lack of experience, so he hit RTH and watched it disappear behind the ferry!!! I hope he had DJI care refresh to replace it!! The flight log would have shown pilot error, so he was probably not covered anyway.

I'm having trouble figuring that out. I looked at the logs. Solid GPS throughout. Due to the altitude, it was flying based on GPS and barometer (IMU altitude). A couple errors do appear:

At 7:18.8-there is a very brief SPEED ERROR. In the previous full second, it lost almost 20ft. 6m/s decent rate! That does corroborate what OP said.

In the next second, you can see the bounce, as altitude on VPS hits zero, then increases.

At 7:19.4 there is a "GPS Position NoMatch" error. I'm not sure what that means, or what it is matching to.

One thing I see that maybe the OP can clear up: the landing altitude is -6.9ft below take off altitude. Did you land somewhere below where you took off?

If not, perhaps the IMU barometer (used to determine altitude) is giving a false reading, leading to bad behaviour. Something that suggests this may be true is the IMU altitude drops 0.3ft even after VPS has determined it is at zero.

I suspect the GPS readings are all accurate, as in other logs I've looked at, it always seems to track well even if there are other errors.

I agree, I have had some bad experiences with RTH on a phantom 4, a few times things were going bad, dropping altitude and not following the course. So I rarely use it. HOWEVER.... I was flying an Inspire 2 in -35 celcius and my ipad quit due to the cold. As this happened, my spotter had just lost sight of it. My only option was RTH. I must say that day it saved my butt. Brought it back into visual contact where I could resume control and land without incident. I have now made a heating pad for the ipad to prevent it quitting on me again. And yes, I know it is not recommended to fly the Inspire 2 below -20 but the risk of failure is still outweighed by the cost of using a helicopter. So my advice is to use RTH only as a last ditch effort to save your Spark. Just make sure your RTH elevation is set at a safe height for your surroundings, and your home point is set to where you want it to return to (most important). A friend of mine told me about a trip he was on. They were on a car ferry. He saw a guy get a brand new mavik pro out of the box and start to set it up, a definite newbie. My friend warned him not to take of from a moving vessel. He said he would just take off and land. As soon as he took off, it appeared to runaway, but it was just the motion of the ferry leaving it behind, the pilot attempted to fly "back" but was not able due to his lack of experience, so he hit RTH and watched it disappear behind the ferry!!! I hope he had DJI care refresh to replace it!! The flight log would have shown pilot error, so he was probably not covered anyway.

Exactly what I mean - the RTH function is a really nice failesafe technology, but i think it is better to use it only as this - as last option if everything else fails.

Specially when you see that the drone already acts weird, the best way will be to land it manually on the position, where it is - or maneuver it manually to a safe landing zone, when I know where "where it is" actually is, because normally weird behavior is a result of a misfunctional Sensor or GPS. Hitting RTH when the drone already has a problem will probably make it worse, because in that mode it will rely completely on those sensors, which are mayby already working faulty and the spark has no backup systems like military drones.
So as long as you have LOS and/or FPV feed, it is normally not a good idea to hit RTH.

I specially miss with the spark, that there is no manual sensorless "stupid" mode, on which you can fallback to get it safely out of the air, when some strange sensor error occures.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe