Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

My new range test record

Sabotage

Join
Jan 15, 2020
I'm very excited about my range test results. Usually I only get around 2800 feet. Idk what was going on but my spark went all the way out to 6163 feet heading south. I just "sent it" and long and behold a new record. My set up is stock, I only use the cable to connect my phone to the remote and that reflective antenna range extender. I tried going other directions to get similar range numbers but could only get a little over 2000 feet which is a little less than usual. It's crazy how your range increase with simple mods. Purely stock, I was only getting around 1000 feet before losing signal. After I added the cable it nearly doubled my distance. When I added the antenna extender, i got a few more hundred feet.

Screenshot_20200408-171501.jpg

I'm very excited about my range test results. Usually I only get around 2800 feet. Idk what was going on but my spark went all the way out to 6163 feet heading south. I just "sent it" and long and behold a new record. My set up is stock, I only use the cable to connect my phone to the remote and that reflective antenna range extender. I tried going other directions to get similar range numbers but could only get a little over 2000 feet which is a little less than usual. It's crazy how your range increase with simple mods. Purely stock, I was only getting around 1000 feet before losing signal. After I added the cable it nearly doubled my distance. When I added the antenna extender, i got a few more hundred feet.

View attachment 12636

"....To infinity and beyond! (VLOS)" ;)

The reflectors really seem to work to keep a signal strong to and from the Spark.:)

Looks like you were fling in class B airspace, did you use the LAANC system to get an approved flight?

My airspace is class G so I haven't had the need to try it yet and was curious how it went.

Looks like you were fling in class B airspace, did you use the LAANC system to get an approved flight?
I have no idea what that is. When I fly around my neighborhood the App does not notify me of any airspace alert but when I try to fly by my parents I get all these alerts so I just don't fly. Seems like i still have a lot to learn. The more I fly the more people keep educating me on the dog's and don'ts

Here's a link to the LAANC system.

AIRMAP is a very useful tool and I believe you can get approval through the app at participating airports using LAANC.

I don't think all the airports have it in place yet.

There are YouTube videos of pilots using it and looks fairly simple to use.

The spot you were flying was the edge of class B airspace.

Screenshot_20200408-175159.png

Thank you for the information. Is there somewhere I can go to research what the class air space are and what they mean? I just currently listen to what the app tells me

Thanks for that website spark 317. I'm in the process studying for my part 107 lic. through Drone Pilot Ground School. When I put my address in: 2621 Springwater Dr. Flower Mound TX it puts my in class B. But, it is indicating 400 ft.

So as long I stay below 400 ft do I need to log a flight permission through AirMap?
Also, when I look on the sectional map Fig.25, or using SkyVictor it is indicating either SFC/110 or 20/110.
John

Reactions: Spark 317
I'm not sure, but I would assume that since you are in an airspace other than G, you should request permission to let them know your presence.

You should always stay below 400' AGL, but you may be on the edge of the airspace allowing you to fly (with permission) up to 400'.

As you get closer to the airport, the altitude that you may be able to fly will be lower 300, 200, 100, 0.

I'm pretty sure that is the way it works?

It used to be that pilots had to contact airport management to let them know about a flight near the airfield, the LAANC system is making it easier to conduct a flight near an airport.

I'm not sure about the vector map, other than it is entertaining to look at and study.

Last edited:
You are in a Class B airspace, but LAANC can get you immediate authorization up to 400 ft. Get the "AirMap" app for your phone and it will fix you right up to fly there whenever you want.

On the other hand, LAANC can get me immediate authorization no higher than 0 ft where I live.
beat.gif

Very impressive!!! Did your controller warn you that you had reached max distance and stop sparkie, or did it simply just stop? Where were you in battery strength and did you initiate RTH to get back? Thanks!!! Scooter

Very impressive!!! Did your controller warn you that you had reached max distance and stop sparkie, or did it simply just stop? Where were you in battery strength and did you initiate RTH to get back? Thanks!!! Scooter

I was in sport mode and lost signal at 72% battery. I just sent it until the screen went black and was told signal lost. I did not initiate return home, it did that on it's own. After losing signal I just went inside my house to tell my wife how far I went. Not that she cared but I had to tell someone. I waited inside conversing with my wife until I heard it landing in my yard. At that point I was at 34% battery. On my out journey, I averaged 30mph and the return journey low 20's mph

Pretty impressive! But, as a Part 107 licensed pilot I need to remind you that you are supposed to keep the craft within line-of-sight. I highly doubt that at the distance you were operating at that you were able to see the drone. Please try to follow all of the rules, whether a hobbyist or a licsenesd pilot. Otherwise the FAA will come down on us with even more restrictive rules. Fly smart and fly safe!

I had my spark in the air yesterday and it did not have a strong link . I was still in clear view of the bird by eye and the picture was breaking up . Very strange

I had my spark in the air yesterday and it did not have a strong link . I was still in clear view of the bird by eye and the picture was breaking up . Very strange

Did it have trouble connecting to the remote? Are you using an OTG cable? What kind of place were you?

Pretty impressive! But, as a Part 107 licensed pilot I need to remind you that you are supposed to keep the craft within line-of-sight. I highly doubt that at the distance you were operating at that you were able to see the drone. Please try to follow all of the rules, whether a hobbyist or a licsenesd pilot. Otherwise the FAA will come down on us with even more restrictive rules. Fly smart and fly safe!
Thanks for the reminder. As a new pilots it's hard to remember all the rules of flight. But again, that's one purpose of these forums so the new pilot can get educated and hopefully learn so everyone can enjoy the hobby.

Reactions: RotorWash
Thank you,
Took my first flighty with Airmap, had no issues. Don't think I really need it here as long I stay under 400 ft.
John
According to Airmap you should be getting authorization to fly from 0-400 feet at Springwater Drive. It is not difficult, nor does it cost anything, but it does let the Aircraft Traffic Controllers know you are out there and help keep things safe and helps our drone community by those who fly within the guidelines.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex