Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Need Help Connecting Correctly

Gary Zimberg

Join
Aug 1, 2017
I have watched too many youtube VLogs adn they really helped me get setup and connected.. but still am not sure about the right way to connect.
I bought the Fly More and a iPad mount, also an OTG and a direct cable plugged from Remote to iPad (with cellular service)
If I have the ipad can controller connected via cable, should I still be connected via wifi?
I recently was prompted to update firmware for both the Spark and the RC. I have done about 5 practice flights so yesterday was ready to bring it to really try it out. Went to a friends lake house to try to shoot some video of him pulling his son wakeboarding.... everything seemed fine, except as soon as I got the drone out over the lake , about 50' up and 50-75 out, it all become very choppy, with black parts of the screen and a lot of pixellation. there was so much lag on the video, that I could not tell which way the drone was facing and had lots of trouble flying it.
My start up sequence is.... Ipad powered up, OTG and Lightening Cable connected to RC, Power Up RC, then Power Up Spark. Wifi set to RC...
Any help would be appreciated!

My algorithm: Spark-rc, wait for connect. After , phone, wait until connect to rc. Then app, after, settings, change 5.8 to 2.4 GHz and change to Better channel, wifi will reboot, before that connect otg to phone and RC. Done 2.4 better distance, no probs. Test it.

A week ago my OTG connection was working fine. My process is....turn on AC, turn on RC and wait for green light, open GO, then plug in OTG cable to RC. Tried to connect this AM and GO was not detecting the RC (or vice versa). Not sure what happened. Hard to think the cable went bad. Any ideas?

If You re using otg you should put the ipad in airplane mode. It's either wifi or otg, why would you want both? Bluetooth is supposed to a source reference so airplane mode will kill that too

I ve found that connection sequence is important, at least with mine. When connecting the Otg cable first, the app doesn't connect to the RC, same If connecting the Otg to RC and then otg to phone.

This is what I do and so far it has never failed.

Drone ON
RC ON, wait for green light (15 seconds usually)
Phone on, airplane mode on
Plug Lighting cable to phone and to USB end of otg
Plug otg into controller
Phone will beep and say accessory not supported
Clear message and open dji go app
Wait till you get home point update message
Take off.

Critical: keep antennas perpendicular to drone, not tips pointed to drone

Reactions: Bizzarrini
Is there any reason why putting my iPhone into flight mode then switching wifi back on should cause any problems?
It seems to be working ok. No cable connected.

I found that very often while using the OTG cable I would still actually be connected over WiFi, not the OTG cable.

My solution was simply to "forget" the Spark-RC WiFi network on my iPhone so as to never connect to it accidentally.

Then when connecting:
1. turn on RC and wait a few seconds for it to "boot up"
2. Plug OTG cable into RC
3. Plug Lightening end of OTG cable into iPhone/iPad. and:
a) make sure that you hear the tone from your iPhone/iPad as if it is charging (it won't actually charge, but it will make the tone)
b) make sure that you get the "this accessory is not supported" message from iOS (and dismiss it). This confirms that you are indeed connected via OTG to the RC.

If you do not hear the tone or get the message then you are not connected via OTG cable and if your iPhone/iPad knows the password to the RC's WiFi network it will use that instead, but you won't realize it.

I also tend to put my iPhone in airplane mode.
1) to minimize interference
2) to eliminate in-flight distractions (calls, messages, etc)

Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme