Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Never ending Winter

Barbara

Join
Dec 25, 2018
Loc
Algoma District, North Shore, Ontario
Getting frustrated now. December was cold and snowy, January was absolutely FRIGID (-20 to -30 C), with even more snow. (Snowbanks are now over 1.5 m/5 ft tall) And now, we've had about three cycles of ice pellets, then freezing rain topped with more snow. Currently the winds are 42 kph, gusts to 58 kph, blowing the snow around. The driveway is about 10 cm/4 in. of solid ice with a frozen slush berm at the end of it compliments of the city plows.

It's a good thing I love it here. Guess I'll just have to curl up in front of the fireplace and play some PS4.

Getting frustrated now. December was cold and snowy, January was absolutely FRIGID (-20 to -30 C), with even more snow. (Snowbanks are now over 1.5 m/5 ft tall) And now, we've had about three cycles of ice pellets, then freezing rain topped with more snow. Currently the winds are 42 kph, gusts to 58 kph, blowing the snow around. The driveway is about 10 cm/4 in. of solid ice with a frozen slush berm at the end of it compliments of the city plows.

It's a good thing I love it here. Guess I'll just have to curl up in front of the fireplace and play some PS4.

Hey, it's a lot easier to tolerate if you use Imperial units ... ;)

Reactions: bkb57
I had to look to see where you're located, your weather is very similar to ours in western Wisconsin.
We're sometimes referred to as the "Near North" here in Ontario. If you love the outdoors, this is the place. We retired and moved up here couple of years ago and I've been told that this is not shaping up as your typical winter by the locals. Small comfort. Thing is, I actually like winter, snow and all, but enough is sometimes enough.

Amen to that sentiment!!!
It's been fun having extra time to read and post but I too want to fly. I flew a few Litchi virtual missions but it wasn't satisfying. The US calendar says 40 days until the 1st day of spring - we'll see...

I don't know, either way it's too much, too cold and too long. I just wanna fly!!
Many of us fly from within our vehicles. I once flew nearly 1.75 miles from inside my car. Using an old iphone 6, I never lost signal, or experienced any lag. I do not use special antennas, or other add-ons. I had to return because of low battery.

Unfortunately things just don't seem to work as well in these frigid temperatures. Here in Maine we haven't seen quite the lows that @Barbara has, but it's been well below freezing for much of the winter.

Battery life isn't nearly as long (even if you keep the batteries warm until flight time) and the gimbal on the camera can be a problem. I've resigned myself to flying only when the temperature is in the +4C/+39F or above range.

I launched drone only once this january, bcs it's always windy. The temperure isn't a big problem for drone (it was about 25°C).
From Russia.IMG-20190131-WA0002.jpg

97% of the world's climate scientists are in full agreement that global warming is the cause of all the severe weather events the world has been experiencing in recent years. Until we all wake up and realize this and start doing something about it, it's our future. We can't wish it away.

Reactions: graywoulf
Pretty much given up on flying for the foreseeable future. Two week forecast shows no real break in the temperatures, and flying from inside the car...think I'll pass, for now. It's an absolutely gorgeous day out there today and the ice in the trees make the hills look silver, but temp is -20C. Perhaps we'll just strap on the snowshoes and go for a wee hike. (Just for reference, that's a six foot fence back there)

IMG_0958.JPG

Reactions: McCloudSpark
97% of the world's climate scientists are in full agreement that global warming is the cause of all the severe weather events the world has been experiencing in recent years. Until we all wake up and realize this and start doing something about it, it's our future. We can't wish it away.
Sorry - global warming is a natural occurrence. Nothing us minuscule humans can do about it. The little bit of pollution we spit out is tiny compared to things like forest fires, volcanoes, etc.

Pretty much given up on flying for the foreseeable future. Two week forecast shows no real break in the temperatures, and flying from inside the car...think I'll pass, for now. It's an absolutely gorgeous day out there today and the ice in the trees make the hills look silver, but temp is -20C. Perhaps we'll just strap on the snowshoes and go for a wee hike. (Just for reference, that's a six foot fence back there)

View attachment 8713
I posted that I like your photo - what I meant was I like that you have it :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex