Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New Canadian Regulations to be Announced Today

We will have to wait till 10.00 am to find out what nonsense they will come out with .

Minister Garneau unveils Canada’s new drone safety regulations
News release
Drone pilots to register their drones and obtain a pilot certificate by June 1, 2019
January 9, 2019 Ottawa Transport Canada
Transport Canada is committed to enhancing aviation and public safety while encouraging innovation and economic growth in the drone sector. Today, the Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, announced Canada’s new rules for remotely piloted aircraft systems, more commonly known as drones.
The new rules, which will come into force on June 1, 2019, apply to all drone pilots flying drones between 250 grams and 25 kilograms that are operated within the drone pilot’s visual-line-of-sight, regardless of whether the drone is flown for fun, work or research.
The new simplified rules reflect significant consultations with Canadians and the industry. The final regulations introduce two main categories of drone operation: basic and advanced. The categories are based on distance from bystanders and airspace rules.
Both categories have their own set of easy-to-follow rules that will require the drone pilot to:
  • register and mark the drone with its registration number;
  • pass an online exam and get a pilot certificate for basic or advanced operations;
  • be a minimum age of 14 for basic and 16 for advanced operations, unless supervised by a person having proper certificates;
  • stay below an altitude of 122 m (400 feet) above ground level; and
  • stay away from air traffic.
Only drone pilots who need to fly a drone outside the rules for basic or advanced operations will need to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) before they fly.
Transport Canada encourages drone pilots to take the necessary time to review and fully understand the new rules for drones in Canada and to follow a course provided by a drone flight school before attempting to take an online exam or flight review.
Drone pilots will need to have their Pilot Certificate and proof of registration readily available when flying their drone as of June 1, 2019. This can mean having an electronic version available on their mobile device or carrying a printed copy.
Transport Canada has developed an improved, user-friendly website with information on the new regulations and helpful tools for all drone pilots available at: Canada.ca/drone-safety.
Transport Canada’s new drone services are available on our website. We invite drone pilots to create an account in the Drone Management Portal for easy access to these drone services at all times.
Until the new rules come into force on June 1, 2019, recreational drone pilots must continue to follow the rules of the Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft and pilots using their drone for work or research must continue to follow the conditions of their Special Flight Operations Certificate.
All drone pilots are also subject to the Criminal Code as well as all provincial, territorial, and municipal laws governing areas such as privacy and trespassing. Endangering the safety of an aircraft is a serious offence. Anyone who violates the regulations could be subject to additional fines of up to $25,000 and/or prison. This applies to drones of any size used for any purpose.

So we get another 100 feet of altitude, same now as FAA

Here's the new TC info....
Flying your drone safely and legally (new rules) - Transport Canada

Main items:
While flying

To keep yourself and others safe, fly your drone:

• where you can see it at all times
  • below 122 metres (400 feet) in the air
  • away from bystanders, at a minimum distance of 30 metres for basic operations
  • away from emergency operations and advertised events
    • Avoid forest fires, outdoor concerts and parades
  • away from airports and heliports
    • 5.6 kilometres (3 nautical miles) from airports
    • 1.9 kilometres (1 nautical mile) from heliports
  • far away from other aircraft
    • Don’t fly anywhere near airplanes, helicopters and other drones

Always respect the privacy of others while flying.

I am in luck, the distance from airports has not changed - big sigh of relief.

Its rather messy to figure out what exactly one must now for the basic license... but this appears to be what they want...

The small RPAS pilot operating within visual line of sight must be able to:

• Recall that small RPA shall give way to manned aircraft at all times.
  • Recall the rules regarding the use of visual observers.
  • State what aeronautical information must be consulted before flight.
  • State that RPAS operations must remain in Canadian domestic airspace.
  • Recall the requirement to notify air traffic control if a flyaway is likely to enter controlled airspace.
  • State which procedures must be established for normal and emergency operations for all small RPA operations
  • State the minimum distance that a RPA must remain from a person.
  • State the minimum visibility required for the operation of a RPA.
  • State the minimum distance that a small RPA must remain from an aerodrome and from a heliport.
  • Recall that a small RPA may not be operated at or near an aerodrome in a manner that could interfere with aircraft operating in the established traffic pattern
  • State the minimum distance that a small RPA must remain from an airport and from a heliport when not operating under the Advanced Operations rules.
  • Describe the factors that must be included in a “site survey” for the operations of all small RPA operations.
  • State the requirements for lighting when operating a small RPA at night.

Just sucks, it's a huge category now. Big difference between a 250 g drone and a 25 KG Drone. So your telling me my spark can do the same things a P4 can? C'mon????

I get the registering but, taking an exam too? Somebody should just record the exam and then post it. LOL.

Reactions: Stanlee
And, looking at the Transport Canada site,
it won't be a piece of cake, that exam.
I'll try it Friday, best way to know what to expect..
And I Agree that a 9 ounces Spark and a 55 pounds.
platform have nothing in common !
Like a Cessna 172 in the same class as a Boing 737.

And, looking at the Transport Canada site,
it won't be a piece of cake, that exam.
I'll try it Friday, best way to know what to expect..
And I Agree that a 9 ounces Spark and a 55 pounds.
platform have nothing in common !
Like a Cessna 172 in the same class as a Boing 737.
Agree! May be time to remove 50g's from little Sparkie so we're under the weight.

Wish they had "contact your local airport" rule like the US does....

I'm in a semi-remote area with a airstrip nearby (no tower, no fuel, no nothing....). We get a flight in maybe once a week. I have a float plane flying service on a different lake but I'm within 3 km of it. <sigh>

Interesting....the basic certificate sounds quite feasible, though I'm sure that the bureaucrats will manage to mess it up unnecessarily. Five bucks for registration sounds reasonable, but I do have to agree with others here that the range of the weight category is much too broad.

Reactions: Stanlee

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme