Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New pilot in NYC

0ursisthefury

Join
Jun 1, 2017
Is this legal to fly in NYC? I know it looks small enough to be a toy, but if I bring it to a park or outside to use in selfie mode, will I be approached by any officers? Sorry if question is kind of noobish.

Is this legal to fly in NYC? I know it looks small enough to be a toy, but if I bring it to a park or outside to use in selfie mode, will I be approached by any officers? Sorry if question is kind of noobish.
Very limited to where you can fly in NYC

Just as difficult as it would be with a mavic pro? I thought there was a size limit that was ok and legal to use because it would be classified as a toy? I think 250g but wouldn't this be small enough? I don't want to register with FAA or join any aviation clubs. Just use around the house and backyard, and maybe take it out sometimes for selfies. It might be better for me to just cancel my pre order than?...

FAA registration is no longer needed for recreational drones. The regulation was successfully appealed 2 weeks ago.

So would there be any issues with flying a drone this small in NYC? It's difficult finding an answer anywhere online.

I understand your frustration. I moved from AZ and was used to flying beyond line of sight and had lots of AMA fields to fly from and you 'could' fly elsewhere like the national parks (limited) and I needed to get park ranger permission which never seemed to be denied. I moved to PA and in my area - Media, the police and park rangers have said it is illegal to fly anything in Media and there are some good sized parks. I will have to try the Hivemapper above and see if it helps in PA.

I understand your frustration. I moved from AZ and was used to flying beyond line of sight and had lots of AMA fields to fly from and you 'could' fly elsewhere like the national parks (limited) and I needed to get park ranger permission which never seemed to be denied. I moved to PA and in my area - Media, the police and park rangers have said it is illegal to fly anything in Media and there are some good sized parks. I will have to try the Hivemapper above and see if it helps in PA.
If you don't mind taking a ride (probably 30 minutes w/no traffic.) A fairly large group of us fly here with no hassles and you can also fly large fixed wing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=warminster+community+park&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Aviscomi thank you for the invitation. Once I get my Spark I will take you up on that. Will also bring my 'plank' to fly. Do you just need your AMA card or is there a day pass fee?

Aviscomi thank you for the invitation. Once I get my Spark I will take you up on that. Will also bring my 'plank' to fly. Do you just need your AMA card or is there a day pass fee?
AMA not needed a pass. Its a public borough park within an abandoned Naval airfield.
upload_2016-12-31_11-5-53-png.3330

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef