Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Newbie Need Help

SparkyDJI

Join
Aug 27, 2020
Does the Spark have a setting so that it will avoid ceilings and walls if you fly in the house?

Cheers

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland SparkyDJI

No sensors like that on the Spark.

Use the prop guards along with Tripod mode and a steady hand when flying inside.

Make sure the rooms are well lit for the VPS to work properly since you probably won't have a GPS lock inside.

Stay away from the walls and ceilings as the prop wash tends to drift the Spark into that direction.

I had mine skittering across the ceiling once like an air hockey puck.

It was funny and traumatizing at the same time.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

What Spark 317 said...I have flown my Spark in the house, but stay well away from walls and ceilings.

Reactions: Spark 317
Hello from the Hoosier Heartland SparkyDJI

No sensors like that on the Spark.

Use the prop guards along with Tripod mode and a steady hand when flying inside.

Make sure the rooms are well lit for the VPS to work properly since you probably won't have a GPS lock inside.

Stay away from the walls and ceilings as the prop wash tends to drift the Spark into that direction.

I had mine skittering across the ceiling once like an air hockey puck.

It was funny and traumatizing at the same time.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Lol, thank you as that exactly what mine did and I was certain the Spark had sensors for the walls and ceilings!!! And scared the crapped out of me and lost two propellors in the process!

So does it have any sensors? Like for outside flight or are you in the same boat inside and outside

Thanks

Reactions: Spark 317
Lol, thank you as that exactly what mine did and I was certain the Spark had sensors for the walls and ceilings!!! And scared the crapped out of me and lost two propellors in the process!

So does it have any sensors? Like for outside flight or are you in the same boat inside and outside

Thanks

There are sensors on the front and bottom of the Spark.

Visit DJI's website for a quick low down about the Spark.

You will find the user manual there as a downloadable PDF file so that you can have a copy handy.

It's worth reading a few times.

Also, here are some YouTube tutorials from Ty at DJI.

Have fun. :)

No sensors on the SPARK ???

I assumed the OP was talking about top (ceiling) and side (wall) sensors.

Fine example of the word assume . ;)

I clarified a bit in post number six above.

Thanks for checking. ?

I think the best sensors that are available for any type of drone is the Pilot In Command and the Visual Observer during the flight.

I think the best sensors that are available for any type of drone is the Pilot In Command and the Visual Observer during the flight.

Not always: <click> ... ?

Back to SparkyDJI's question: If a self-proclaimed newbie asks such a question, it should be pointed out that the SPARK does have (forward-facing) obstacle detection and explain where the limits are. I have just testet over and over again what this single sensor does to learn how to get the best benefit and also to learn the limitations.

I am not sure about the ground sensors and what their capability is. Do they recognize the shape of a hand? Do they remember the "H" on a landing pad? Has anybody more information?

By the way: I have the impression that after the last software update (4.3.37) a few weeks ago, obstacle detection has become much more sensitive. Does anyone else have this impression, too or am I wrong?

Not always: <click> ... ?

Back to SparkyDJI's question: If a self-proclaimed newbie asks such a question, it should be pointed out that the SPARK does have (forward-facing) obstacle detection and explain where the limits are. I have just testet over and over again what this single sensor does to learn how to get the best benefit and also to learn the limitations.

I am not sure about the ground sensors and what their capability is. Do they recognize the shape of a hand? Do they remember the "H" on a landing pad? Has anybody more information?

By the way: I have the impression that after the last software update (4.3.37) a few weeks ago, obstacle detection has become much more sensitive. Does anyone else have this impression, too or am I wrong?

The main purpose of the downward sensors on the Spark, is to keep it from smashing into the ground at a high rate of speed while landing. You'll notice that you can hold the left stick down all the way, and the drone will descend pretty quickly to about 5 feet, then slow down a lot, continuing downward until it gently touches down. If you hold your open hand under the Spark while hovering, it will first go up to avoid your hand, then eventually slowly land on your hand after a few seconds. If you want to see this demonstrated, check out this video, about 2:50 in:
The aluminum foil is attached to the Spark so it will take off inside. I am in a NFZ, and this lets me get around that for indoor flight.

Reactions: Barbara

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme