Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

No Fly Zone today

Mr Dave NJ

Join
Jun 21, 2018
Loc
Northwest New Jersey
I've been flying my Spark same various local locations since I purchased it about six weeks ago. Suddenly today all I get is the No Fly Zone. The president is staying in NJ for several days which is only about 45 minutes away from here. Is it true that a NFZ umbrella goes up for a distance from that location? If so, do they remove it quickly when he leaves? I know they put up NFZ in areas of forest fires etc. So in any case is there a way I can check to see if its malfunction of my spark, a new permanent NFZ or a temp one? Any suggestions welcomed...I am new at this.

I believe the radius from the golf course is 30 miles. . . .We’ll have to find a down-to-earth alternative while he visits our state.

I believe the radius from the golf course is 30 miles. . . .We’ll have to find a down-to-earth alternative while he visits our state.
I'm right on the edge. I checked my location with Bedminster and its 32.0 mi. I also found a webpage that list the temp no fly zones and their estimated time restrictions. I'm a little more optimistic now that it a restrictive measure and only temporary as opposed to something wrong with my spark..... I believe it will be lifted at 4:30 PM tomorrow. In any case I am traveling north tomorrow for a few hours. I'll check my drone there and see if it connects,..hopefully yes. Thank you for your reply.

Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's

Last edited:
Took Spark to the poconos @ 2:00 today out of the NFZ just to make sure drone was okay. Everything fired up okay with full GPS and Ready to Fly..... I am now waiting to see if my area in Jersey gets unrestricted when Bedminster is open again....

Why don't you just ignore the no fly zone updates or put your phone in aeroplane mode before Firing up sparky? It then won't download the NFZ and you'll be able to fly.

Why don't you just ignore the no fly zone updates or put your phone in aeroplane mode before Firing up sparky? It then won't download the NFZ and you'll be able to fly.
Being new to this i’m not sure what you mean. I thought we are to keep spark updated each time one is prompted otherwise we could get malfunctions. Im not aware of a NFZ update as yet. Unfamiliar with an airplane mode other than the airplane setting on my Iphone. Doesn’t that disable wi fi? I need the GPS and radar to know my location when flying...Much of this is still confusing to me being a new flyer..Do you mean start AP in airplane mode then start spark which will by pass the cannot fly interruption?

Hey Dave, if you use an OTG cable between the RC and phone, then airplane mode is perfect, it kills off all wireless data, not needed with OTG. You can also be in airplane mode and still use Wifi, thats how you can use on board wifi on commercial airliners that support it, so thats an option if you dont use OTG. It disables the cell data/bluetooth stuff. As for flying near a restricted area because of Mr. Trump, watch out for the Secret Service!

Hey Dave, if you use an OTG cable between the RC and phone, then airplane mode is perfect, it kills off all wireless data, not needed with OTG. You can also be in airplane mode and still use Wifi, thats how you can use on board wifi on commercial airliners that support it, so thats an option if you dont use OTG. It disables the cell data/bluetooth stuff. As for flying near a restricted area because of Mr. Trump, watch out for the Secret Service!
Everything worked out fine today. The NFZ must have been temporary because I was able to fly it in my yard this evening. I was mostly worried that either my drone was malfunctioning or that my area was suddenly a permanent NFZ . I won't fly in NFZ. When it happens again I will realize it is temp and just wait until its restored or travel to an area I'm allowed to fly it...

I am assuming that when you start the DJIGO app it prompts you to update the "safe flying data" or whatever it's called? This is the no fly zone data, and why one day you were able to fly, the next not and the day after were able to again.

I've never updated my NFZ, it is stock from the install of the firmware, anytime I get the prompt I tap ignore or cancel, you don't need data services on your phone while flying unless you really want it, as long as you have more than 10 sats before takeoff and have set the home point correctly, the drone knows where it is and where you are.

Having said that, I am using 701 firmware and 4.1.15 DJIGO, I refuse to update either because of the horror flyaway stories I've read about, and I use common sense when it comes to flying, I live about 5km north of a major uk airport, but because there is a second one about 30km west up the road, the air traffic that goes over my house is from there and at least 5000 feet up, the air traffic from the local airport is sent south of that one so never comes near here, the only low traffic we get here is helicopters from the local tiny heliport about 2km away, and by law they should be at least 500 foot above where I fly, generally they are.

If I were to follow the "professional advise" I'd never take off, but I just use common sense, I've been flying in this particular field for nearly 30 years and haven't hit anything yet, other than the trees. What I'm trying to say is technology is no substitute for common sense, you may have different NFZ laws, especially when it comes to Trump, but you don't need to keep Sparky constantly updated.

I am assuming that when you start the DJIGO app it prompts you to update the "safe flying data" or whatever it's called? This is the no fly zone data, and why one day you were able to fly, the next not and the day after were able to again.

I've never updated my NFZ, it is stock from the install of the firmware, anytime I get the prompt I tap ignore or cancel, you don't need data services on your phone while flying unless you really want it, as long as you have more than 10 sats before takeoff and have set the home point correctly, the drone knows where it is and where you are.

Having said that, I am using 701 firmware and 4.1.15 DJIGO, I refuse to update either because of the horror flyaway stories I've read about, and I use common sense when it comes to flying, I live about 5km north of a major uk airport, but because there is a second one about 30km west up the road, the air traffic that goes over my house is from there and at least 5000 feet up, the air traffic from the local airport is sent south of that one so never comes near here, the only low traffic we get here is helicopters from the local tiny heliport about 2km away, and by law they should be at least 500 foot above where I fly, generally they are.

If I were to follow the "professional advise" I'd never take off, but I just use common sense, I've been flying in this particular field for nearly 30 years and haven't hit anything yet, other than the trees. What I'm trying to say is technology is no substitute for common sense, you may have different NFZ laws, especially when it comes to Trump, but you don't need to keep Sparky constantly updated.
Thank you very much. I appreciate your helpful message. I also fly with common sense. I live in a rural area flying low altitude, keeping the drone in sight. To a new flyer all the information about drones on the web is overwhelming. I notice much is in contradiction as well. I do not fly near buildings, people or disturb wildlife. This site has been the most beneficial to me. I know the updates are meant to improve functions such as on my Iphone, computer, etc, however at times those updates make the electronic devices worse rather than better. Frankly I was under the impression if I didn't do the popup update immediately on the Spark App eventually my drone would fly off into oblivion never to be seen again. In regards to mandated NFZ issued for security, forest fires, safety issues, etc, I absolutely support, agree and comply not trying to circumvent any of those regulations. Thanks again for the response and info.....

Yeah I agree with what you're saying, we have some big fires here at the moment up the other end of the country and if I lived up there, I wouldn't need DJI to tell me not to fly, I guess some do however which is why I find the NFZ's annoying.

About updates and flyaways, I'm not expert but whenever I've seen reports of flyaways, there are often three common factors, person took off in attitude mode and didn't do preflight checks, person had recently updated DJIGO app, and person had recently updated spark firmware, I guess I'm just too stuck in my ways in the "don't fix what isn't broke" club to want to update,opposite of your attitude lol.

Yeah I agree with what you're saying, we have some big fires here at the moment up the other end of the country and if I lived up there, I wouldn't need DJI to tell me not to fly, I guess some do however which is why I find the NFZ's annoying.

About updates and flyaways, I'm not expert but whenever I've seen reports of flyaways, there are often three common factors, person took off in attitude mode and didn't do preflight checks, person had recently updated DJIGO app, and person had recently updated spark firmware, I guess I'm just too stuck in my ways in the "don't fix what isn't broke" club to want to update,opposite of your attitude lol.
I fully agree with you. I believe most pilots try to be careful if for no other reason than the expense of purchasing another drone. In addition the majority try to be very responsible and cautious. However...we both know seems to be a small few that get reckless and push the envelope ending in lost drone or crash. Could be common sense flys away with the rogue Spark...or pilot :) Good talking to you again...It’s 98 degrees here now...Brandi (my dog) and I need a nap..Lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme