Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

No limit drones

Mtntrogger

Join
Aug 16, 2019
I posted this in another thread but thought it might be relevant to give it its own thread. I just got done with 2 test flights since modding. Somethings I noticed about using no limit drones mods.
I like how fast the bird can ascend and descend alot. It actually seems safer, since you can get up to altitude, and down from it much faster. There has been many times I needed to descend faster than DJI would let me.

The higher top end speed is cool, but came at a cost. I got insane amounts of warnings about yaw, speed and compass errors. It kicked me out of gps mode when I had 22 satellite's (cool that you get so many, but if it doesnt help you stay in gps mode whats the point ?) my signal strength was also at 55% when this happened. It acted pretty weird due to all these warnings. I kept getting proximity warnings as well, that led to the bird being reluctant to move or come down.

Then when I used the nld app on my android (in airplane mode) it was worse. At first the video feed latency appeared better than what I was getting with dji, but the it really degraded, lots of the same problems as I was having on the first flight, but at some point the app just froze up. Wouldnt let me do a rth, had no gps function (atti mode) but I did somehow have a patchy video feed, heinous latency but at least something to help me get my bearings. I was able to at least fly it towards my location enough to be able to spot it and bring it down safe.

Its possible that I did something wrong with the mods, perhaps my droid phone isnt up to the task of running the dji (or hacked) app. I originally switched from that droid to the iphone, because ios seemed to work much better.

Personally I thought these flights were kind of sketchy, and dont know if I will continue to fly the bird all modded up like this. It works really well stock, but I really want the ability to ascend and descend quickly as well as the no height limit. I know its illegal and dangerous, I try to use my head when flying high, although I have only been up to around 1200 feet from takeoff point. Its easier to do that safely here in the mountains. I am surrounded by peaks that are 5000 feet higher than the valley floor. Planes would certainly need to be higher than those peaks, the highest ive seen someone take their spark is around 4000 feet above launch point.

I am interested in hearing about other peoples experience using the NLD software mods

Please revise your thinking on that point. Many flights are flown on routes that are far lower than the surrounding peaks.
I hear ya, it just woudnt work around here, the valley is too tight. FYI I have flown around where I live in a private cessna many times. Had a roomate that was a private pilot back in the 90's. We definitely flew it pretty low a few times, but for the most part you really want to be above the high peaks. Planes just dont come out of nowhere, whenever I notice any type of plane or any other flying object I usually land asap. Any plane flying below the high peaks that surround this valley would be super obvious. We DO have lots of people that fly parasails around here, BUT, they stick to certain spots. Filming them with the drone from a safe distance would be super cool !

I posted this in another thread but thought it might be relevant to give it its own thread. I just got done with 2 test flights since modding. Somethings I noticed about using no limit drones mods.
I like how fast the bird can ascend and descend alot. It actually seems safer, since you can get up to altitude, and down from it much faster. There has been many times I needed to descend faster than DJI would let me.

The higher top end speed is cool, but came at a cost. I got insane amounts of warnings about yaw, speed and compass errors. It kicked me out of gps mode when I had 22 satellite's (cool that you get so many, but if it doesnt help you stay in gps mode whats the point ?) my signal strength was also at 55% when this happened. It acted pretty weird due to all these warnings. I kept getting proximity warnings as well, that led to the bird being reluctant to move or come down.

Then when I used the nld app on my android (in airplane mode) it was worse. At first the video feed latency appeared better than what I was getting with dji, but the it really degraded, lots of the same problems as I was having on the first flight, but at some point the app just froze up. Wouldnt let me do a rth, had no gps function (atti mode) but I did somehow have a patchy video feed, heinous latency but at least something to help me get my bearings. I was able to at least fly it towards my location enough to be able to spot it and bring it down safe.

Its possible that I did something wrong with the mods, perhaps my droid phone isnt up to the task of running the dji (or hacked) app. I originally switched from that droid to the iphone, because ios seemed to work much better.

Personally I thought these flights were kind of sketchy, and dont know if I will continue to fly the bird all modded up like this. It works really well stock, but I really want the ability to ascend and descend quickly as well as the no height limit. I know its illegal and dangerous, I try to use my head when flying high, although I have only been up to around 1200 feet from takeoff point. Its easier to do that safely here in the mountains. I am surrounded by peaks that are 5000 feet higher than the valley floor. Planes would certainly need to be higher than those peaks, the highest ive seen someone take their spark is around 4000 feet above launch point.

I am interested in hearing about other peoples experience using the NLD software mods
I've been using NLD with my Spark for about 2 years now. It requires a lot of time to figure out the best drone firmware, parameter setting, and apk version to find a combination that fits your needs best.

Generally, I don't have any issues with GPS, that would be no go as I've already lost my first Spark with original software within the first month of owning it.

What I like best about is the removal of no-fly zones. I've completed a European tour in 2019 and I was able to get footage at locations (London, Paris, Berlin, Barcelona, etc.) that would normally be impossible (and afraid to post it publicly). BTW, I was not able to import my drone for a small side trip to Marocco as it's prohibited there.
Another improvement is the ability to modify flight parameters and significantly increase the agility of my drone. As you have mentioned ascend/descend speed is very impressive.
I just wish forward speed in normal flight mode could be better as the Spark is generally slow as molasses.

Negatives I've noticed are issues with automatic modes like locking on and following the subject, which I don't use these days anyway as I'm skilled enough already to replicate flight patterns and get similar shots manually.
Since upgrading my phone to Android 10, NLD apk gives me some issues (there are currently 2 versions available), and sometimes video downlink disconnects with a lower version of firmware that has no height ceiling restriction.
Unlimited height is a feature I don't have much use of anyway, because no matter where I fly, I don't need to ascend much because the video looks like from an airplane, everything looking too small. Also, quite often I enter clouds anyway if I am too high. Having a starting point high on the mountain allows me to descend down to the valley no matter how high the height limit is set anyway (I've got very nice footage descending down from Guaita Tower in San Marino deep down into the valley below and then ascend very fast - great with NLD mod).

Last edited:
I've been using NLD with my Spark for about 2 years now. It requires a lot of time to figure out the best drone firmware, parameter setting, and apk version to find a combination that fits your needs best.

Generally, I don't have any issues with GPS, that would be no go as I've already lost my first Spark with original software within the first month of owning it.

What I like best about is the removal of no-fly zones. I've completed a European tour in 2019 and I was able to get footage at locations (London, Paris, Berlin, Barcelona, etc.) that would normally be impossible (and afraid to post it publicly). BTW, I was not able to import my drone for a small side trip to Marocco as it's prohibited there.
Another improvement is the ability to modify flight parameters and significantly increase the agility of my drone. As you have mentioned ascend/descend speed is very impressive.
I just wish forward speed in normal flight mode could be better as the Spark is generally slow as molasses.

Negatives I've noticed are issues with automatic modes like locking on and following the subject, which I don't use these days anyway as I'm skilled enough already to replicate flight patterns and get similar shots manually.
Since upgrading my phone to Android 10, NLD apk gives me some issues (there are currently 2 versions available), and sometimes video downlink disconnects with a lower version of firmware that has no height ceiling restriction.
Unlimited height is a feature I don't have much use of anyway, because no matter where I fly, I don't need to ascend much because the video looks like from an airplane, everything looking too small. Also, quite often I enter clouds anyway if I am too high. Having a starting point high on the mountain allows me to descend down to the valley no matter how high the height limit is set anyway (I've got very nice footage descending down from Guaita Tower in San Marino deep down into the valley below and then ascend very fast - great with NLD mod).
Great response ! Thank you for all the great info

Just in case anyone else stumbles across this thread, I need to make a update. I went for another flight today, still with everything modded by nld. It went perfect. I believe that all the problems that occurred during my first session flying with the mods were due to me having the wifi turned on with the phone that I use to fly the spark. The phone is not activate on any network and is only used to fly the drone, but I do believe that is what caused the first flights to be so sketchy. Todays flight I made sure to have the wifi off. Like I said, no issues ! I will definitely go for a few more flights before deciding weather or not to leave the bird set up like this.

Just in case anyone else stumbles across this thread...///SNIP///... I will definitely go for a few more flights before deciding weather or not to leave the bird set up like this.

Do you have any more observations for those of us thinking about making this transition?

Many thanks, Steve

Hey Steve ! Now that its been a while, I can say I really like it and intend on leaving the bird setup with the nld. I have not re attempted to fly with the nld go app. I mostly fly it with Litchi and the regular dji go app. Honestly I picked up a used phantom 3 standard that I have really started to love flying, so Ive been playing with that a bit more. With the spark most of my recent flights have been with litchi using the fpv setting and vr googles- man is it fun ! Got those googles at the thrifty for less than $10... and its just crazy how fun they are to fly with, especially on bright days.
With the mods I really love the ability to ascend and descend so quickly. It seems kinda safer having that quick mobilty. I can get down from 300 to 30 in just a few seconds, so if any low flying aircraft approach it is way easier to get out of their way. The super speed is nice too, but for me the up and down agility is the best part.

Reactions: Barboots
Hey Steve ! Now that its been a while, I can say I really like it and intend on leaving the bird setup with the nld. I have not re attempted to fly with the nld go app. I mostly fly it with Litchi and the regular dji go app. Honestly I picked up a used phantom 3 standard that I have really started to love flying, so Ive been playing with that a bit more. With the spark most of my recent flights have been with litchi using the fpv setting and vr googles- man is it fun ! Got those googles at the thrifty for less than $10... and its just crazy how fun they are to fly with, especially on bright days.
With the mods I really love the ability to ascend and descend so quickly. It seems kinda safer having that quick mobilty. I can get down from 300 to 30 in just a few seconds, so if any low flying aircraft approach it is way easier to get out of their way. The super speed is nice too, but for me the up and down agility is the best part.
Thanks for the longer-term report. I'll give installation a go over the weekend... we're having (hopefully) a short stint in lockdown.

I might grab a cheap set of goggs when I next see a pair too. Sounds like fun [emoji106]

Cheers, Steve

i am not pleased with the way the Spark descends either even in sport mode

i am not pleased with the way the Spark descends either even in sport mode
If you modify flight parameters using one of the unlocked applications, your Spark will descend as fast as falling rock. I use that feature quite often myself...

Reactions: Mtntrogger
If you modify flight parameters using one of the unlocked applications, your Spark will descend as fast as falling rock. I use that feature quite often myself...
what parameters are those and what unlocked applications are those?

Sounds like you know everything about flying. You don't! You're not even close.
Oh no ! I know nothing john snow ! I just try to keep learning the best I can. I will never know everything about anything, what would I have left to learn ? Bruce Lee taught me when I was young "Empty your cup so it may be filled again"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme