Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

No place to fly

Playthru

Join
Dec 31, 2017
Well,I haven’t found one reasonably close yet.I live in St.Louis county Mo and was flying in beginners mode in a county park.....not allowed except in a park 30miles away.
It’s frustrating maybe to try a school yard unoccupied and just fly in beginners mode.
I can’t take off from my yard because of the airport as of now it is not looking good but I wont give up.
Anyone else going thru this?

Depending on your location to the airport you may be able to work something out with the tower. Have you contacted them?
Also, you can consult Airmap to see what your options are - AirMap Web App
Looks like there are several AMA flying fields around the area (small green circles).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 1.18.36 PM✨.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 1.18.36 PM✨.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
Research before you buy, or there are ways around the no fly some restrictions.
If you are referring to the 'hack', the NFZ and altitude limits are no longer able to be edited. As far as I am aware, there has never been an option for either of those on the Spark anyways.

I’m not giving up if I have to drive a half hour or so so be it.
It’s just all the restrictions make it harder.
You can buy a cheapie and fly it anywhere.

I’m not giving up if I have to drive a half hour or so so be it.
It’s just all the restrictions make it harder.
You can buy a cheapie and fly it anywhere.

Do a road trip. Find some sites that aren't near airports, charge your batteries, and make a day out of it. Stop for coffee and/or lunch and grab some of those "local sights" maps they hand out all over and do a photo recon of the days events. Use your cell phone for the ground stuff, and you know the rest of the drill. Head North one trip, then pick a compass direction for the next few journeys. You can find things you've never known about even if you've lived there forever.

Jake

I live near a Class C airport and several military airfields and other military bases, and I still am able to find plenty of places to fly.

Beaches, parks, wetland areas, rivers, etc. I use a combination of Google Maps, AirMap, and SkyVector to find places to fly.

Well,I haven’t found one reasonably close yet.I live in St.Louis county Mo and was flying in beginners mode in a county park.....not allowed except in a park 30miles away.
It’s frustrating maybe to try a school yard unoccupied and just fly in beginners mode.
I can’t take off from my yard because of the airport as of now it is not looking good but I wont give up.
Anyone else going thru this?
I live inside the no fly zone boundary of a small airport but just within the edge. I used the Kittyhawk app to see the boundary and the NFZ restriction and the app provides a phone number from your phone so you can call the tower. It really works! I talked to a nice guy in the tower, explained that I wanted to know if it was ok if I flew up 300 ft in this area. He didn’t see a problem as he keeps his planes a minimum of 500 ft and thanked me for calling. I asked if I should call every time I flew and he said not if I was staying below 400 ft. So I am all set now. Maybe you can have similar luck? Otherwise I find local forests and fields as others have suggested...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar