Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG + Android (Google Pixel specifically)

Sparky5332

Join
May 7, 2018
Has anyone used this combo? I read that OTG was back on the menu for Android users, is that still so?

I haven't flown since July because I've been busy. The other day I went out, all firmware updates and app updated. Plugged in my cable and started to fly. Still within line of sight so I was watching the drone more than my phone. When I looked down I noticed my screen was off. When I tried to turn it on I realised the phone had shut down. I brought my drone back closer as my phone booted up. I opened up the DJI app again and almost immediately the phone shut down again. I turned the phone on again but not the app and killed the battery just flying close. I swapped for a fresh drone battery and unplugged the OTG cable, opened the app and flew without issue. Phone and app worked normally.

Is this an issue with my devices or is this common? Anyone know?

I have tried OTG on HONOR 7X. No connectivity issues so far. Must be your phone. Have you tr8ed any other android device?

Hi, I fly with a Galaxy S7 and have had no issues with an OTG cable at all. The signal is ok most of time where I am so I do r automatically fly with it bit when O do, I've not had a so for problem. 15 plus times

Reactions: Sparky5332
Hi, I fly with a Galaxy S7 and have had no issues with an OTG cable at all. The signal is ok most of time where I am so I do r automatically fly with it bit when O do, I've not had a so for problem. 15 plus times
I went today but didn't use the cable. I had to fly over water and didn't want to risk anything happening. Lol

I don't think it's your phone, because it works without cable.

Try another cable, or just fly using WiFi. I have tried both otg and wireless, and didn't find any difference.

I have the exact same setup (Google Pixel + Spark connected to the controller with OTG) and recently had the same thing happen with regard to the phone powering down. I restarted my phone while the drone was still in the air and it shut down after opening the app again.

I thought maybe there was an issue with my phone not being charged enough, or the controller sucking battery from my phone as a power source, so later, after charging everything I tried again and had the same issue. However, when I unplugged the OTG cable and just flew with the controller and phone unconnected, no issues at all.

I looked around on some other forums regarding this issue and it seems to be that DJI no longer supports OTG for Android phones which might be what is causing the issue. People have reverted to an older version of the DJI Go app and it works. I haven't tried it out, but might consider it.

I'm using a Note 9 now, but I had been flying with a Pixel XL for several months and I did have that happen one time. Other than that one time, it performed very well.

I am using OTG with my huawei honor 7X, no problems till now.

But a small suggestion would be to wait before updating to the latest firmware.

If everthing is working smooth in the current version, better stick to that for a while and wait for reviews on the new one, because it may be a big bugged versioned for our poor sparky.

High Sky

I have the exact same setup (Google Pixel + Spark connected to the controller with OTG) and recently had the same thing happen with regard to the phone powering down. I restarted my phone while the drone was still in the air and it shut down after opening the app again.

I thought maybe there was an issue with my phone not being charged enough, or the controller sucking battery from my phone as a power source, so later, after charging everything I tried again and had the same issue. However, when I unplugged the OTG cable and just flew with the controller and phone unconnected, no issues at all.

I looked around on some other forums regarding this issue and it seems to be that DJI no longer supports OTG for Android phones which might be what is causing the issue. People have reverted to an older version of the DJI Go app and it works. I haven't tried it out, but might consider it.

Friends, I use my Spark with the 2d Android phone - Galaxy S8 Plus and now an Oppo FInd X...both of then with last version of DJI GO4.
The most important thing you have to do is: turn on your permission like ADM to give to the USB port an OTG function and get a permission to the App keep the Smartphone screen turned ON.

I think this steps will help you...best regards!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast