Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG cable and WiFi

And how did you arrive at this conclusion? As I tried to explain above, within 100m from home point, I can very easily fly without OTG, but beyond that I cannot. So there is definitely something which is affecting the downlink data signal when I am connected to the RC via WiFi and it gets more erratic as the distance increases.
I understand you have some problems, solved by using an otg cable.
Many users, have the same, or similar stories, also.

But you have to understand, that there are users, who DON'T have these problems.
Also, some otg users report a better experience, but they don't notice any difference with distance, or they say that otg cable doesn't seem to affect their range.

So, seems that otg cable is useful for someone, but not necessary for another.
It depends on the device we use (hardware AND software).
Has nothing to do with how "enough" we have flown our Spark.

So, seems that otg cable is useful for someone, but not necessary for another.
Yes, I agree. But when a new user asks you if he should buy an OTG cable, what do you tell him? Will it be fair to say NO and take a chance?

It depends on the device we use (hardware AND software).
Has nothing to do with how "enough" we have flown our Spark.
And so it seems we both agree on most terms and it is only this statement which has left a bad taste. ;)
Well if you see once again where I used this line, you will understand that it was in reference to the "latency test" video being shared, where someone doesn't even take-off from the ground and gives his verdict about OTG or WiFi connection. Anyway, I am not a diplomat to microscopically examine each word I type before hitting the post button. Also, English is not my first language. So if that "statement" has created a bad/wrong impression, then I stand corrected. Cheers!!

Reactions: Andre Levite
Yes, I agree. But when a new user asks you if he should buy an OTG cable, what do you tell him? Will it be fair to say NO and take a chance?

And so it seems we both agree on most terms and it is only this statement which has left a bad taste. ;)
Well if you see once again where I used this line, you will understand that it was in reference to the "latency test" video being shared, where someone doesn't even take-off from the ground and gives his verdict about OTG or WiFi connection. Anyway, I am not a diplomat to microscopically examine each word I type before hitting the post button. Also, English is not my first language. So if that "statement" has created a bad/wrong impression, then I stand corrected. Cheers!!
I would say, it's good for a spark user, to have an otg cable, especially if he is using an Android device, or if he lives in a territory where cannot switch his device to 5.8g.

English is not my native language either, but I'm glad we can do a polite conversation, even if we disagree some times.
Thank you for all this talking, hope it was useful for some in here.

Reactions: nilanjan118
In my experience, using OTG will result in a full connection bars (5 of 5) between your AC and RC. Whereas, not using OTG will result in a less-than-full connection bars (4 of 5). And this has an effect on the maximum distance.

I'm using 5.8G on FCC mode.

In my experience, using OTG will result in a full connection bars (5 of 5) between your AC and RC. Whereas, not using OTG will result in a less-than-full connection bars (4 of 5). And this has an effect on the maximum distance.

I'm using 5.8G on FCC mode.
Technically, it's not logical.

Technically, it's not logical.
Here's another test video I found today where there is a comparison between Android-iOS, with-w/o OTG.
So basically 4 different combinations done in 2 different settings - open area (he calls it "The Park") and suburb.
This test shows that there is significant improvement in range when using Android with OTG.
However, iOS does better with just WiFi.

Capturesss.JPG

Reactions: Andre Levite
Here's another test video I found today where there is a comparison between Android-iOS, with-w/o OTG.
So basically 4 different combinations done in 2 different settings - open area (he calls it "The Park") and suburb.
This test shows that there is significant improvement in range when using Android with OTG.
However, iOS does better with just WiFi.

View attachment 9288

This "test" proves that otg usefulness, depends on device, OS, flight characteristics (height, surroundings etc), and something he missed, go4 version.

Of course this is a totally amateur test, unreliable for many reasons, and a fail in statistic terms.

Finally it's NOT a TECHNICAL explanation, of this thrilled range extension capability of an otg cable.

there is always some kind of package loss when using wifi/ wireless , a wired connection is always better. Put you device in airplane mode truly shuts both wifi and Bluetooth off , there are youtube videos that explain the advantages and how to correctly do this FLY FAR

there is always some kind of package loss when using wifi/ wireless , a wired connection is always better. Put you device in airplane mode truly shuts both wifi and Bluetooth off , there are youtube videos that explain the advantages and how to correctly do this FLY FAR
Drone - controller connection remains wireless.
Range depends on this, always wireless, connection.

YES!!!! - another OTG cable thread.
Just what this forum is lacking. :rolleyes:

Same discussion. Different day.

Too bad this topic can't just be locked with the "correct" answer pinned to the top of the category. They did that for Compass Calibration when it mucked up the Forum.

This has been a solved "problem" for so long now. How about a healthy debate about battery clips or ND filters instead!
:D

hello spark users i just wanna add about what i experience while connecting the otg cable / conncetion cable of rc to phone. base on my experience you cannot connect when you are in 75% battery but its conncting in fully charged

I have a Fly More Combo and want to know if I were to use an OTG cable between my iPhone and the controller; should I (or do I need to) connect my iPhone to the Sparks WiFi?
1) for short distance flying, you do not need the OTG cable.
2) for distances longer than 100 meters, I would use the OTG cable because it would keep your video better connected.
3) After 300 meters, I would use the OTG cable and the parabolic mirrors on the antenna to stop the video reception from being too choppy.

I have a Fly More Combo and want to know if I were to use an OTG cable between my iPhone and the controller; should I (or do I need to) connect my iPhone to the Sparks WiFi?
No connection needed to WiFi when other cable in use, but Iam finding joy with stability of visuals recording, and staying connected, due to remote and phone position and other under remote, continuously loosing signal, drone disconnected and return home, WiFi range extender on remote has better connection

1) for short distance flying, you do not need the OTG cable.
2) for distances longer than 100 meters, I would use the OTG cable because it would keep your video better connected.
3) After 300 meters, I would use the OTG cable and the parabolic mirrors on the antenna to stop the video reception from being too choppy.

I see you are a new member so perhaps not familiar with the extensive coverage of this topic...

The OTG cable is only connecting your phone to the RC. It is only eliminating the wifi signal that traveled those 4-6 inches.

The RC and Spark however are connecting using an independent wifi frequency which is unaffected by whether you use OTG (or not).

The OTG can improve video quality by reducing RF interference with the wired connection but it does not at all help the RC communicate with the aircraft and therefore the OTG cable cannot improve your range.

The parabolic antenna boosters focus the wifi signal from the RC to the Spark and have been definitively documented to extend the range (and stabilize the video quality at distance).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex