Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG or not to OTG?

Mavics don't use otg cable.

And there is a downside. Otg cables sold are not all reliable.
There are lots of posts about otg cable problems.

DJI supports otg connection, because there were problems with 5.8g WiFi connection (many devices in many countries don't support it), and because otg cable is the only way to use goggles with the spark.

Saying the mavic don’t use a OTG cable is wrong . It is the only way to link the controller to your screen of choice.
I know this for sure 100% as I own two mavic pro’s . Spark will work with and without a cable but not the mavic Pro

I fly with, and with out a OTG. Can't really say it has made any difference in live video feed or range? No matter if you use it or not, the link between the Spark and controller is still WiFi,so you are just "hard wiring" your device to the controller. What dose make a diffrence in range is a set of parabolic reflectors, on the antennas.

I have seen on U-tube where they boosted the controller and strapped a second battery on the spark and were getting great range and flying time . 25-30 minutes in the air with a battery mod

Saying the mavic don’t use a OTG cable is wrong . It is the only way to link the controller to your screen of choice.
I know this for sure 100% as I own two mavic pro’s . Spark will work with and without a cable but not the mavic Pro
Cables we use with Mavic Pro, are not OTG.

OTG cable, is a special cable.

Try to use a stock Mavic cable (those that come with Mavics from DJI), with spark. It will not work.

I fly with, and with out a OTG. Can't really say it has made any difference in live video feed or range? No matter if you use it or not, the link between the Spark and controller is still WiFi,so you are just "hard wiring" your device to the controller. What dose make a diffrence in range is a set of parabolic reflectors, on the antennas.
Most users don't understand that.

Reactions: BigAl07
as a newbie, I'm using the otg because a number of youtube comments suggested a loss of wi-fi signal between the tablet and the controller - made little sense at the time, but anything to get airborne

not sure if this link works on our site but if it does, this is one of those videos suggesting a possible loss of signal between tablet / phone with the controller

OTG seems to be working brilliantly, no failures between the tablet and the controller - a bit procedural when battery changing but a couple of minutes doesn't hurt
When you change battery just switch off spark, change battery, switch on.
No need to touch the OTG or anything else. Everything comes back on its own.

Most users don't understand that.
You are correct! The OTG just connects the device to the controller, instead of using WiFi,nothing more! The control of the craft is "STILL" a WiFi signal from the controller to the drone. There are 3 things that will improve range, and they are #1 A clear path between the drone and controller.#2 picking a "clean channel" (no to low usage) to fly with, and 3# a set of parabolic reflectors, to direct the signal towards the drone, as opposed to 360 degrees around the antenna.

Last edited:
OTG seems to be working brilliantly, no failures between the tablet and the controller - a bit procedural when battery changing but a couple of minutes doesn't hurt

What about RTH button? Is it can still function when we are using OTG? I heard once we use OTG , RTH couldn't function.

RTH works well for me and with an OTG fitted - Did have problems with first setup, but advice received regarding my downgrading to GoPro 4.1.15 worked first time ! - (I'm using an android device)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe