Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG purpose and explanation

les.warden

Join
Jan 7, 2018
Ok, here goes. I’ve read across the forums and still don’t have a good handle on what this little cable is designed to do. Can someone give me a somewhat detailed explanation?

Flying in USA.
My equipment and process:
iPhone 6s+
Latest iOS
Latest DjiGO app
Spark
Latest firmware
Controller
Latest firmware
Have linked Spark to controller
Have linked controller to iPhone

iPhone in Airplane mode, Bluetooth off, WiFi ON
Turn Spark on
Turn Controller on (wait for Spark link)
Start Dji app (wait for controller link)
Connect OTG cable between Controller and iPhone
FLY

That’s it. It flies just fine. Everything works as anticipated. No problems to date.

Guess I just don’t understand what this little cable is doing for me. Thanks!

For some users, the OTG cable gives them a better connection to the remote...which gives them a better video feed. I've tried it both ways and honestly didn't notice much difference. I did experience video disconnects twice without OTG and never with. I personally use OTG now mainly because it's quicker to start up and get going. With wifi, it takes me a bit longer waiting for my phone to see the RC spark-wifi. But no, you don't NEED it.

If using an iPhone (I have 6s Plus), Could you please provide a link maybe to Amazon or elsewhere to the products you have found that work great for OTG on the Spark currently and on which firmware? I would like to try it.

For some users, the OTG cable gives them a better connection to the remote...which gives them a better video feed. I've tried it both ways and honestly didn't notice much difference. I did experience video disconnects twice without OTG and never with. I personally use OTG now mainly because it's quicker to start up and get going. With wifi, it takes me a bit longer waiting for my phone to see the RC spark-wifi. But no, you don't NEED it.

OTG no longer works on Android Go 4 APP but supposed still works with iOS. As it really works just as well on Android now with WiFi as it did with OTG , I suspect it's a waste of time.

The OTG, a highly controversial subject. I first saw it’s use on YouTube, but who knows who first brought it to the attention of just about every DJI drone pilot out there. The concept is sound. Improve the reception between the remote which lies 2 to 4 inches away and your mobile device. Pretty simple. Whether it works to justify toting an extra piece of hardware? That’s the controversial part of the equation. At first a lot of users were confused to its purpose and insisting it increased the range you travel with the spark, even posting videos about it. But in reality, we all know that is not the case.
They say a chain is only as good as it’s weakest link. In the Case of the Spark, it’s the signal going to the Spark that is the main factor. We’ve all seen range tests on YouTube pretty much and know that the typical distance where the Spark will start losing it’s connection is 2500 ft. More or less. Even in my experiences, I’ve seen that. Now in between the time the Spark reaches that distance is where you might get some breakup in the feed being sent back to the remote. And that depends greatly on interference from other wifi, magnetic or steel structures in the area. Or simply the wifi signal itself. This is where the OTG is supposed to improve the reception not from the drone but from the remote. The Spark is still going to lose it’s connection regardless of how strong the connection is between the remote and the device. I like many others also used the OTG. Well hell, it’s a hard connection, why not. But to me if you have a lot of wifi interference that’s close to you, say other cell phones, laptops with wifi, apple watches, etc. That would really be the only reason to use one.
Some reviewers even say that they see a decrease in their mobil devices battery life, that the remote is drawing energy from it or vice versa.
In my own experience, I've seen error messages coming up aside from the given “this accessory is not supported” and “Weak Signal Transmission” flashing across the top, just as I am preparing for take off. False telemetry readings mostly in altitude. I’ve even contacted support to see their version on whether it works. Never got a straight answer on 2 emails I sent to 2 different support members. Of course who knows who they were, most likely a work from home agent. But the point is it’s still pretty much up to the user to decide. Personally the only benefit I’ve seen is when I’m updating the database, or firmware, since it allows a direct connection to the remote, then to the drone and still maintain an internet connection. Whether I plan on using it to fly? Lets just say no for the moment but do carry it with me for those times where the wifi interference is obvious, a university campus, a crowded beach, park or event. But there are 2 important factors here in this story. 1. VLOS (Visual line of sight) which determines how far we can fly. And 2. Where we can fly. Places where wifi usage would be undeniable, “crowded areas” Those 2 eliminate most of the issues that an OTG would “ supposedly resolve.
My own 2 cents.

The OTG, a highly controversial subject. I first saw it’s use on YouTube, but who knows who first brought it to the attention of just about every DJI drone pilot out there. The concept is sound. Improve the reception between the remote which lies 2 to 4 inches away and your mobile device. Pretty simple. Whether it works to justify toting an extra piece of hardware? That’s the controversial part of the equation. At first a lot of users were confused to its purpose and insisting it increased the range you travel with the spark, even posting videos about it. But in reality, we all know that is not the case.
They say a chain is only as good as it’s weakest link. In the Case of the Spark, it’s the signal going to the Spark that is the main factor. We’ve all seen range tests on YouTube pretty much and know that the typical distance where the Spark will start losing it’s connection is 2500 ft. More or less. Even in my experiences, I’ve seen that. Now in between the time the Spark reaches that distance is where you might get some breakup in the feed being sent back to the remote. And that depends greatly on interference from other wifi, magnetic or steel structures in the area. Or simply the wifi signal itself. This is where the OTG is supposed to improve the reception not from the drone but from the remote. The Spark is still going to lose it’s connection regardless of how strong the connection is between the remote and the device. I like many others also used the OTG. Well hell, it’s a hard connection, why not. But to me if you have a lot of wifi interference that’s close to you, say other cell phones, laptops with wifi, apple watches, etc. That would really be the only reason to use one.
Some reviewers even say that they see a decrease in their mobil devices battery life, that the remote is drawing energy from it or vice versa.
In my own experience, I've seen error messages coming up aside from the given “this accessory is not supported” and “Weak Signal Transmission” flashing across the top, just as I am preparing for take off. False telemetry readings mostly in altitude. I’ve even contacted support to see their version on whether it works. Never got a straight answer on 2 emails I sent to 2 different support members. Of course who knows who they were, most likely a work from home agent. But the point is it’s still pretty much up to the user to decide. Personally the only benefit I’ve seen is when I’m updating the database, or firmware, since it allows a direct connection to the remote, then to the drone and still maintain an internet connection. Whether I plan on using it to fly? Lets just say no for the moment but do carry it with me for those times where the wifi interference is obvious, a university campus, a crowded beach, park or event. But there are 2 important factors here in this story. 1. VLOS (Visual line of sight) which determines how far we can fly. And 2. Where we can fly. Places where wifi usage would be undeniable, “crowded areas” Those 2 eliminate most of the issues that an OTG would “ supposedly resolve.
My own 2 cents.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Manny. This is the best explanation I’ve read on this little mysterious cable. Good knowledge always allows good decisions, so I can now better decide whether to pack this little accessory. Thanks much!

Reactions: DrNemeskeri
Thanks for the detailed explanation, Manny. This is the best explanation I’ve read on this little mysterious cable. Good knowledge always allows good decisions, so I can now better decide whether to pack this little accessory. Thanks much!
Trust me, I was just like you at one time..lol
Just a friendly fellow Spark Pilots opinion
Fly Safe⚡

Those who wants to be 100% "by the book", living in EU and using Android device have problems without OTG. Why? Most Androids are doomed to only 2.4WiFi frequency. So this is used for RC-Android connection. Which means that RC- Spark connection can only be 5.8GHz. Both, 2.4 and 5.8GHz transmitter frequencies are significantly reduced because of (stupid) EU regulations. 5.8 even more than 2.4. Besides that, there is a "rule": higher frequency = more poor range at the same transmitting power. Bottom line: Spark lost its signal at 200m. With OTG connection between RC and Android you can select 2.4GHz frequency between RC and Spark. Range was 300-500m in that case.
Luckily there are other "not by the book" options.;):)

If using an iPhone (I have 6s Plus), Could you please provide a link maybe to Amazon or elsewhere to the products you have found that work great for OTG on the Spark currently and on which firmware? I would like to try it.

There are a lot out there. Here are two. I don't remember exactly which one I got.

https://www.amazon.com/AxPower-iPho...rd_wg=9WfvE&psc=1&refRID=EHVE0BS2DGV5Q875A1BZ

https://www.amazon.com/Owoda-Micro-...pID=41ckpnOXygL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast