Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG ?

No. You can also connect your mobile device to the remote controller via Wi-Fi.

The OTG cable isn’t required, regardless of whether you’re using Android or iOS. However, most of us use the OTG cable, because it creates a stronger/more stable connection between the bird and the transmitter. Some people claim it allows for stronger distances, but I’m not sold on that theory.

I've tried an OTG cable with both android phone (Samsung Note 4) and iPad Air. It made very little difference on android and I still seemed to get a delay but the most annoying thing was that it kept trying to charge the phone from the controller. The charging symbol on the phone just kept flashing and beeping. Worked perfectly on the iPad, practically no delay at all. As an aside, l was getting picture breakup in Photo mode, but none in Video mode on android although the pictures taken were ok. The OTG cable made no difference to this on android. Didn't have this on the iPad to start with, so no problem .

Reactions: Icemanwbs
I don't use an OTG cable. I had one and tried it a couple times, and I find it just makes the whole remote cumbersome. It's easier without the cable and I haven't found any actual benefit to using it.

Reactions: gareth5000
The only thing I noticed from my own experience is that the video feed is more stable. I used to have issues with this when I was just using wifi to the remote and no OTG. I have a Galaxy S8 and picked up a pair of otg cables from Amazon for 6 and some change. I believed it solved my issue. I have a newest gen ipad that I haven't tried. I wonder if there would be a noticeable difference.

Problem with the OTG cable with my Samsung note 4 was that not only did it make no appreciable difference, but using the built in holder on the controller, the cable wouldn't feed through the holes at the side. This made the whole thing a bit messy. If you are going to bother, you will probably need an aftermarket extension holder. I use one for the iPad and they work very well (lots to choose from, but get one that swivels landscape and portrait to give yourself the most options).

I was hoping it would improve the video quality on my mobile device so I could see some detail of where I'm flying, but so far the video appears as crappy as without OTG.

I was hoping it would improve the video quality on my mobile device so I could see some detail of where I'm flying, but so far the video appears as crappy as without OTG.
Really? Is this consistent at different altitudes? I usually fly at between 160 to 250ft and haven't had issues since switching to otg method.

Use the OTG as the others stated. Well worth the couple bucks spent. Much more reliable.

I've tried an OTG cable with
both android phone (Samsung Note 4) and iPad Air. It made very little difference on android and I still seemed to get a delay but the most annoying thing was that it kept trying to charge the phone from the controller. The charging symbol on the phone just kept flashing and beeping. Worked perfectly on the iPad, practically no delay at all. As an aside, l was getting picture breakup in Photo mode, but none in Video mode on android although the pictures taken were ok. The OTG cable made no difference to this on android. Didn't have this on the iPad to start with, so no problem .

Sounds like thats not a proper OTG cable. If it is charging your phone/controller, then its not. USB C by any chance?

G
Sounds like thats not a proper OTG cable. If it is charging your phone/controller, then its not. USB C by any chance?
Maybe, but it was sold on Amazon as an OTG cable and all seems to work on android without wifi although the delay was still present. Kept trying to charge the phone (charge indicator flicking on/off quickly), although if the phone was previously fully charged this didn't happen.

G
Maybe, but it was sold on Amazon as an OTG cable and all seems to work on android without wifi although the delay was still present. Kept trying to charge the phone (charge indicator flicking on/off quickly), although if the phone was previously fully charged this didn't happen.

Happened to me when I first got the spark, I was using my Android tablet's OTG cable with an adapter to lightning for the iPHone... once I got the real OTG cable, it stopped. Been working flawlessly since. One video disconnect in 35 flights, and was because I was behind obstacles and pushing the distance in 5.8 -- I only fly with iPhone, tablet is too old

Really? Is this consistent at different altitudes? I usually fly at between 160 to 250ft and haven't had issues since switching to otg method.
The video on mobile device (Samsung s8 or tab a) is blocky whether Im next to drone or far away. I see no difference with OTG

I always fly with my phone in "Airplane" mode with Wifi OFF and only GPS ON using the OTG. This minimizes a lot off interference and gives me great results and better battery life on my Android phone.

My android phone is 2.4g only...It seems to do the job, but do you think an OTG cable would make things more stable? I've been using a ZTE Z max2 phone...and I did order at OTG cable but it's coming from Hong Kong so it'll be a week or 3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast