Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Part 107 vs Part 336 for Volunteers

Bob Johnston

Join
May 2, 2018
Does a realtor using a UAS to video prospective homes need to be 107 0r 336 certified? How about a volunteer doing some aerial video for a state or local government?
Thanks

Does a realtor using a UAS to video prospective homes need to be 107 0r 336 certified?
Since the drone is being used for commercial purposes, it's a Part 107 activity.

Since the drone is being used for commercial purposes, it's a Part 107 activity.

Is a Church a commercial business?
Thank you.

How about volunteer work for a state or local government or organization?
And, thanks for all your in put msinger.

Volunteer work doesn't sound like hobby flying to me. I don't know what the FAA's position would be.

I'm not 100% sure, so take this with some caution, but up here in Canada, you need proper authorization and a flight is considered commercial if:

-you receive any kind of compensation (money or gifts in kind)

-you are a commercial business and while receiving no compensation for these particular flights, you use the flights for self promotion (or use it to promote a future business).

So, if you are not a business, get no compensation at all, and don't use it to promote a future business, then that sounds like it is still hobby territory to me.

Again, use caution in this advice.

Reactions: maumau
Does a realtor using a UAS to video prospective homes need to be 107 0r 336 certified? How about a volunteer doing some aerial video for a state or local government?
Thanks
If the drone flight is for hobby/recreation (which is for one's own personal enjoyment), then it falls under 336.

If the flight is for some other purpose, then it falls under Part 107.

Volunteer or paid is irrelevant.

If the drone flight is for hobby/recreation (which is for one's own personal enjoyment), then it falls under 336.

If the flight is for some other purpose, then it falls under Part 107.

Volunteer or paid is irrelevant.
Things seem to be a bit more complicated than this simple black or white classification. In addition the point is not the flight but the end use of your footage... I would rather agree with Superphreak above

Both 107 as far as I can understand. When I registered I think there was a question about “would you volunteer for emergency services if they needed help?”
I said yes, but I cannot remember exactly where that question was since I got my 336 first and then my 107.
Anything considered “commercial” activity requires 107. Even taking pictures of the Church I would think.

Section 336 was repealed this week.

There's a whole new set of rules (Section 339) to replace it. Will take a while to sort out the specifics. And some things still may not be addressed definitively (including the status of volunteers).

Stay tuned but don't use Section 336 as a reference. It's gone

Here's a YouTube link to an informed discussion:

Reactions: CarolinaDrones
Things seem to be a bit more complicated than this simple black or white classification. In addition the point is not the flight but the end use of your footage... I would rather agree with Superphreak above
You might want to agree with suprphreak, but you both would be incorrect.

Reactions: wilcoxads
Section 336 was repealed this week.

There's a whole new set of rules (Section 339) to replace it. Will take a while to sort out the specifics. And some things still may not be addressed definitively (including the status of volunteers).

Stay tuned but don't use Section 336 as a reference. It's gone
It's "gone", although only as of today when it was signed.

But the FAA has stated to CONTINUE using the rules.

Drone Pilots: President Trump Signs FAA Reauthorization Act

I fly all over rural NM I wonder if they have any rules like that here every once in a while i get in an air restricted area other than that it sounds like i got it good out here

Thanks
I took some time & watched some free youtube classes for the part 107. It’s only $150 to take a 60 question, multiple choice exam. Then you never have a doubt that your videos & photos can be used for any purpose that you want.

Unfortunately you have to go through that test taking process every 24 months and pay the same $150 over and over again.

It's just a money grab. The test subject matter rarely changes and much of it has nothing to do with drone piloting.

You can go through the hassle and play that game. Or you can be comforted that nobody is out there enforcing these rules.

I got my 107 but debating whether to renew

Unfortunately you have to go through that test taking process every 24 months and pay the same $150 over and over again.

It's just a money grab. The test subject matter rarely changes and much of it has nothing to do with drone piloting.

You can go through the hassle and play that game. Or you can be comforted that nobody is out there enforcing these rules.

I got my 107 but debating whether to renew
You’re absolutely correct about the current testing. I’m a private pilot & over the years I’ve seen so many changes with the FAA. For me, it’s only $150 every 2 years to be sure I’m legal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers