Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Polar Pro Filters

McCloudSpark

Join
Dec 24, 2018
Picked up a set of polar pro filters for Sparky but have been hesitant to try them. Is it easy to install them without damaging the gimbal? It just seems so fragile.
Any help/reassurance would be useful.

It's easy to do and you won't damage the camera if you're gentle.

Reactions: McCloudSpark
Important tips not mentioned or demonstrated in video:

1. Always install/remove filters with aircraft powered OFF
2. Always use two hands -- one to stabilize gimbal and the other to gently position filter

Quality filters like Polar Pro won't harm gimbal as long as you avoid stress during installation or removal. You made a good purchase choice

Reactions: dat1 and Spark 317
Hate to say, and I need to make this into a topic...
I attended the DJI Photo Academy.
The instructors both agreed filters are:
1) Not needed if you know what you are doing and
2) Just a gimmick to make money

That just sounds like the teachers trolling the student with a contrarian viewpoint to stir an academic debate. Classic move but I doubt they really believe that.

The evidence for the use of filters in photography and videography is overwhelming and well established.

Did they give any "facts" to support that position?!?

Reactions: Jhumpert
That just sounds like the teachers trolling the student with a contrarian viewpoint to stir an academic debate. Classic move but I doubt they really believe that.

The evidence for the use of filters in photography and videography is overwhelming and well established.

Did they give any "facts" to support that position?!?

Their photos spoke for themselves.
I'll try to dig some up.

They showed us why it was not necessary through their photos.
Good looking filter-less photos are evidence.
Randy Jay Braun & Stacy Garlington were the hosts/ instructors
Randy-in-Kayak-with-Whale.jpg

Attachments

• whale-day1.png
    whale-day1.png
    139.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Reactions: graywoulf
They showed us why it was not necessary through their photos.
Good looking filter-less photos are evidence.
Randy Jay Braun & Stacy Garlington were the hosts/ instructors
View attachment 8549

Both of those photos would have been better with a polarizing filter. Seriously

CPL is especially good over water. You can see below see like the surface. Eliminates glare. Better contrast and truer saturation.

Reactions: Jhumpert
Both of those photos would have been better with a polarizing filter. Seriously

CPL is especially good over water. You can see below see like the surface. Eliminates glare. Better contrast and truer saturation.

I understand.
But keep in mind this particular print was pulled off Google.
The original print was more transparent through the water.

A couple of photos is just not evidence.

Sometimes I will challenge my students with provocative comments to get them to think creatively. It's an academic tool. I truly believe that your instructors were just trying to make you think "outside the box" -- that there exceptions to every rule. Not meant to be taken literally or as evidence of an actual corporate conspiracy.

Filters have very specific uses in a variety of circumstances. It's physics -- not just opinion..

The example you posted would have benefitted from a polarizing filter. Even accounting for the compression caused by uploading

The value of ND filters FWIU is in video allowing you to slow down the shutter speed so you get the slight blurred effect that our eyes are used to seeing in movies that are typically shot at 24 fps.

Hate to say, and I need to make this into a topic...
I attended the DJI Photo Academy.
The instructors both agreed filters are:
1) Not needed if you know what you are doing and
2) Just a gimmick to make money

Gimmick or not I am a firm believer in the use of filters on both my spark and on my regular DSLR. At the minimum I always have a UV filter on my lense just as a buffer because in case of a drop or lense hit it is cheaper to replace a broken UV filter compared to a couple hundred dollar lens. Plus the use of ND filters along with long exposure make some really cool water blur effects.

Currently I have the Polar Pro 6 filter set and have at minimum the polarizer filter on at all times but after reading the instructions will probably be switching to the ND8 or ND16/FP for sunny day flying moving forward.

...probably be switching to the ND8 or ND16/FP for sunny day flying moving forward.

I have the ND8 on at all times as it's usually sunny on most flights.

The gimbal protector fits over it with no problems when in storage and it protects the lens of the Spark.

I have the ND8 on at all times as it's usually sunny on most flights.

The gimbal protector fits over it with no problems when in storage and it protects the lens of the Spark.

I have aftermarket gimbal and sensor cover that I use when it is in storage as well and I leave the polar pros on all the time.

Reactions: Andre Levite
Currently I have the Polar Pro 6 filter set and have at minimum the polarizer filter on at all times but after reading the instructions will probably be switching to the ND8 or ND16/FP for sunny day flying moving forward.

The problem I've had with a CPL is once the bird is in the air you can't rotate the polarizer for the desired effect, like you can on a DLSR.

The problem I've had with a CPL is once the bird is in the air you can't rotate the polarizer for the desired effect, like you can on a DLSR.

With the polar pro the polarizer is a Fixed Polarizer so there is no adjusting or rotating the filter like on a DSLR

I have the Polar Pro Cinematic series and the 3 polarized lens that came with it do have the rotating bezel, but I haven't used them just because of the different camera angle of the Spark when in flight. I didn't know they did that or the purpose of it as I don't know squat about photography.

I'll need to experiment this summer and see how they do.

I have the Polar Pro Cinematic series and the 3 polarized lens that came with it do have the rotating bezel, but I haven't used them just because of the different camera angle of the Spark when in flight. I didn't know they did that or the purpose of it as I don't know squat about photography.

I'll need to experiment this summer and see how they do.

With circular polarizers for DSLR camera you can rotate the filter to vary the amount of polarization effect and usually use it to make the sky look bluer. As you turn it if you hold it up to your eye you can literally see it go black to bright sky just by turning the filter. I have had pictures look off just because my polarizer turned a little and lost some of the polarize effect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast