Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Props damaged by grass?

thecommodore

Join
Mar 21, 2018
Hey so i've only taken my spark out to fly about 3 times maybe since I bought it and I've always taken it off from grass but yesterday after a flight (normal & sport) I noticed the props are slightly scuffed and wondered if this was normal & is safe to fly, they aren't huge scuffs but yeah id rather ask people more experienced then me!

also have a prop holder thats very fiddly to get on so maybe its that?

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    718.9 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    688.4 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    751.3 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    1,007.4 KB · Views: 109
Is it normal to fly with damaged props? No. Could you fly with those props? They are slightly damaged, but I don't think it'll have a noticeable effect on the flight.

well they don't have a massive dent or anything but can grass do that to probs? wasn't massively tall grass or anything

The props could be damaged if they strike any type of object.

Or do a palm landing?
This is what I do when I'm flying in a location that does not have a suitable landing spot. A landing pad is a nice idea too, but it's one extra thing I don't need to carry and setup pre-flight.

Reactions: thecommodore
To protect my Propellers / Drone, I have added a Landing Gear, (Legs) and my carry case double ups as a Landing Pad. :)

Attachments

• Landing Pad.jpg
    Landing Pad.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hey so i've only taken my spark out to fly about 3 times maybe since I bought it and I've always taken it off from grass but yesterday after a flight (normal & sport) I noticed the props are slightly scuffed and wondered if this was normal & is safe to fly, they aren't huge scuffs but yeah id rather ask people more experienced then me!

also have a prop holder thats very fiddly to get on so maybe its that?

It was difficult to see the scuffing and the one mark I did note was on the trailing edge of the blade. This would not be from the grass but was more likely caused by the blade holder. I would expect grass stains to show if grass was the major causal factor of damage. Whatever damage there is appears minor and should not affect the drone's flight. Others have noted observing blade damage from certain brands of blade holders that squeeze the blade too tightly causing marks like the one I was able to see.

It was difficult to see the scuffing and the one mark I did note was on the trailing edge of the blade. This would not be from the grass but was more likely caused by the blade holder. I would expect grass stains to show if grass was the major causal factor of damage. Whatever damage there is appears minor and should not affect the drone's flight. Others have noted observing blade damage from certain brands of blade holders that squeeze the blade too tightly causing marks like the one I was able to see.

Yeah i think it was probably them aswell. there are some grass stains but i don't feel like it was the grass, i've stopped using the holder and will probably just take the props off when packing into a bag now.

Just makes the setup process that bit longer

mine are in worse condition and mine flies just fine so yours will be good

Yeah i think it was probably them aswell. there are some grass stains but i don't feel like it was the grass, i've stopped using the holder and will probably just take the props off when packing into a bag now.

Just makes the setup process that bit longer
i would recommend getting a hard case as soon as possible because the case it comes with can't hold accessories (or much.) and it won't keep it safe and the hard case can also work as a launch pad

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe