Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Question about OTG and getting "no signal"

Jim Nielsen

Join
Apr 11, 2018
Loc
Omaha, NE
I'm still fairly new at this...I was incredibly confident (and a bit reckless) flying my spark until one day it decided to lose GPS, disconnect, and fly off on it's own. Luckily I recovered it (thanks to a good Samaritan!)

Now I'm scared every time I send her up.

I'm using the latest version of dji go 4 and and OTG cable.

I understand that the spark talks to the remote via WiFi... but with the otg cable, I should have a direct connection from the RC to the phone right? Why would I keep getting "no signal" randomly? I can still fly the spark (since it's usually still in sight when it happens). So I know that the drone and RC are talking...why would the OTG allow the no signal? Do I possibly have a bad cable? (I've tried a couple). I'm using an older LG Tribute as a dedicated (no cell service and WiFi and Bluetooth are off) device for the drone. It is quite laggy at times and I tend to pucker quite a bit when it stops updating the screen for more than a second.
I used to have a Galaxy S6 and it worked pretty good...but I upgraded to a S9+ and it definitely is not working.. it randomly drops out of the app while I'm flying... (everything is still working but the app is gone) and that's just not cool. So until I find another S6 cheap (or a cheap iPhone) I'm stuck with the LG.

The signal tends to come back... but do I need to worry if it doesn't? As long as I can still fly, the drone I should be fine right? I'm, of course, assuming that if it happens I should bring it right down just in case... (oh and this is all only around a couple hundred feet up most of the time)

I know the most important is not losing GPS and definitely not getting the dreaded "aircraft disconnected" message. But if I have no signal, I won't know if I get those... (I've learned...the hard way... not to allow the return to home option when GPS is lost...)

It's all so confusing. Can anyone shed any light on this and help me understand it better...and help build my confidence back up?

Thanks!

Happened to me today too. The spark was in line of sight 200' above my head and I got a lost signal. It's interesting to note that I've flown it further and didn't have no signal issues. Looking forward to someone chiming in on this as well .

I've flown a few more times now. I still get a no signal warning from time to time. That's really the thing that's keeping me from flying any distance. Right now, I've pretty much only flown straight up and back down... Heck, the drone has flown farther on IT'S OWN, then with me flying it! LOL. I did go about 600 feet out in an open field once... but otherwise just up and down.

I recently was given an iPhone 7+ and it has been a LOT better... and with just wireless. Screen updates much faster...no real lag... no lost signals...but I did run into something yesterday. I was up at 500 feet to catch a sunset... everything was fine...and then all of a sudden I started getting "weak image transmission" messages... Since it was straight up, I could see that I still had control, but that worried me...it was only 500 feet away...this thing should go a mile or so without a problem...what gives?!?!

Happened to me today too. The spark was in line of sight 200' above my head and I got a lost signal. It's interesting to note that I've flown it further and didn't have no signal issues. Looking forward to someone chiming in on this as well .
I've noticed with mine that if it is directly overhead I have to point the controller up at the spark or I lose signal too.

if the spark is directly overhead with RC youcan lose the signel when the aerials are pointing directly at the model try to angel the controler antener to the side never point them stright at the spark

Reactions: Jim Nielsen
Sorry, but it's not clear to me.

Does phone lose signal from RC, when using an otg cable, but you can control AC all the time? That would be probably a faulty cable, specially if with WiFi connection you have no issues.

Does spark loses GPS during flight and flies in atti mode, but you can control it? It would be a GPS or compass issue, because of obstacles between drone and the sky, or magnetic interference.

Did spark disconnect from RC and flies uncontrollable? In CE mode and 5.8g it can happen within a small distance. Usually, returns at home, if home point was properly set before takeoff.

I'm still fairly new at this...I was incredibly confident (and a bit reckless) flying my spark until one day it decided to lose GPS, disconnect, and fly off on it's own. Luckily I recovered it (thanks to a good Samaritan!)

Now I'm scared every time I send her up.

I'm using the latest version of dji go 4 and and OTG cable.

I understand that the spark talks to the remote via WiFi... but with the otg cable, I should have a direct connection from the RC to the phone right? Why would I keep getting "no signal" randomly? I can still fly the spark (since it's usually still in sight when it happens). So I know that the drone and RC are talking...why would the OTG allow the no signal? Do I possibly have a bad cable? (I've tried a couple). I'm using an older LG Tribute as a dedicated (no cell service and WiFi and Bluetooth are off) device for the drone. It is quite laggy at times and I tend to pucker quite a bit when it stops updating the screen for more than a second.
I used to have a Galaxy S6 and it worked pretty good...but I upgraded to a S9+ and it definitely is not working.. it randomly drops out of the app while I'm flying... (everything is still working but the app is gone) and that's just not cool. So until I find another S6 cheap (or a cheap iPhone) I'm stuck with the LG.

The signal tends to come back... but do I need to worry if it doesn't? As long as I can still fly, the drone I should be fine right? I'm, of course, assuming that if it happens I should bring it right down just in case... (oh and this is all only around a couple hundred feet up most of the time)

I know the most important is not losing GPS and definitely not getting the dreaded "aircraft disconnected" message. But if I have no signal, I won't know if I get those... (I've learned...the hard way... not to allow the return to home option when GPS is lost...)

It's all so confusing. Can anyone shed any light on this and help me understand it better...and help build my confidence back up?

Thanks!

I think i am losing more and more confidence into spark. I have flown many times up to 2000m with otg cable, perfect video feed back. Last 3 successive flights, after successful take off 1 or 2 minutes later screen went frozen showing "disonnected". AC was still fully controlable with RC, being not farther than 200m. Tried without otg and using wifi, it worked but with awfull video lagging of several seconds. I was in "forced" FCC mode and cancelled the usual popup. I dont know if this is linked with the problem. I will try CE mode to see if problem persists.

Ok i found out. I changed the cable (on telephone side, not the otg) and its working fine.
I tested the old cable and the telephone is charging. But during the flight, with pressure on the cable, it didnt work.
Be cautious, otg is not fail safe...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502