Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Registration FAA

Yes.

A lot of the pilots will have the registration number printed with a label maker or write the number with a Sharpie Pen on the bulkhead of the battery compartment.

Failure to register may result in fines, etc.

It cost $5 and takes about 5 minutes.

FAA Registration

Reactions: sadatoni
Thank you for your reply I just registered my Drone

It is a subtle point but you did not actually register your drone with the FAA - you registered yourself as a pilot. That allows you to use the same registration number on any additional drones you may purchase. And there is no fee for additional aircraft either.

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Spark 317
It is a subtle point but you did not actually register your drone with the FAA - you registered yourself as a pilot. That allows you to use the same registration number on any additional drones you may purchase. And there is no fee for additional aircraft either.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi all, I’m new here too. A Question, I “registered” with the FAA, entered all of my drone info etc. paid $5 for it and I can add additional drones for $5 each.
This is considered registering a drone, correct ??

Hobbyists (Section 335) need only register themselves once as a pilot. You do enter information for the initial drone and receive a registration number. That same number is affixed to any additional drones later obtained. There is no reason to pay a second fee or re-register or get a new number for a subsequent drone.

Like much of the FAA regulations this is never explained explicitly and the whole process leads to ambiguity and confusion.

The act of registering the drone info implies that this is necessary for each drone but that is not the case.

Additional confusion arises because registration for commercial pilots (Part 107) is on the same web page and does require each drone to be registered separately. It's easy to click between the two pathways and wander down the wrong road.

I came to understand this from posts on the FAA site, DJI Forum and MavicPilots forum. If anybody knows for certain that info is not correct please clarify and post links that explain it better.

You’re absolutely right. We visited in October and I wanted to be legal and signed up. As it turned out I chickened out at Heathrow worrying that I might have it confiscated in the US. I had got all the info together for all the airlines we were travelling with to be sure I had the right bits in the right cases. I also wondered if I would have the opportunity to fly where we were visiting, Washington, New York and deepest Arkansas. In the end I was glad I didn’t take it with me as I had very few chances to get her up in the air. Hey ho! Off to Florida in May so will think again.

Hi, you should have plenty of opportunities to fly in the USA. Just be aware no flying in state or national parks and near airports, etc.

Unless you have a waiver :). There is a park nearby that has granted me year-long permission (in order to shoot all the seasons) to produce a promo video for them (for free.) In return, I get to fly someplace I would not ordinarily be allowed to. I've only just started; still a lot more to shoot - i.e., flying through the covered bridge, up the front of the chapel, across a winding footbridge, through the trees, up a stream, etc., etc.

Here's my work in progress:

Last edited:
Lovely gentle footage of what looks to be perfect scenery. Sure the Authorities will be delighted when it’s all done. A Happy New Year to you.

Welcome to the forum!
That's awesome to know! I was totally expecting to register again when I bought another!

Reactions: Andre Levite
Unless you have a waiver :). There is a park nearby that has granted me year-long permission (in order to shoot all the seasons) to produce a promo video for them (for free.) In return, I get to fly someplace I would not ordinarily be allowed to. I've only just started; still a lot more to shoot - i.e., flying through the covered bridge, up the front of the chapel, across a winding footbridge, through the trees, up a stream, etc., etc.

Here's my work in progress:

That's pretty awesome! Tripod mode for the close-ups? What software do you use for editing?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers