Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Registration

Once again - for Recreational Flyers you use YOUR registration number on ALL your drones... currently the FAA only registers Recreational pilots, not individual recreational drones.

FAA Webinar, jump to about 2:38.

I am registered as a Recreational pilot... and that pilot registration number is on all of my Recreational (non-commercial) drones.

I’m also a Part 107 operator and have unique, individual registration numbers on all my commercial drones.

Simple.

Last edited:
The Sharpie itself can be used as an eraser if other products aren't available.

Moisten the dry ink with fresh ink from the pen and it usually wipes clean.
Yeah - I had to do that once on a dry erase board at work - opps :eek:

The Sharpie itself can be used as an eraser if other products aren't available.

Moisten the dry ink with fresh ink from the pen and it usually wipes clean.

The best thing about this forum is that it gives us ingenious ideas like this.

Reactions: ralf
I just got my replacement refreshed spark and didnt realize I could edit the serial number on the FAA site so I just registered a whole new number so each spark was uniquely identified and my damaged one is still active in there system. As far as labeling I used Avery 8660 clear labels and made 1 label with 2 numbers then trimmed them down and they are on each side of the shell right behind the gimbal and in front of the air vent

The law changed in 2018 ......
Which drones need to be registered? According to the FAA ruling, every drone that weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds needs to be registered via the FAA DroneZone portal. Currently, this is a requirement for everyone, regardless of whether you are flying your drone commercially or recreationally.Apr 20, 2019
The law changed and you need to register each drone, but as I understand it they use a single tail number for all the recreational drones a particular pilot registers.

You might want to re-consider using any permanent markings, as this might diminish the resale value in the event you decide to sell your Spark.

Also, the registration numbers in the USA expire. I don’t know if you get to keep the number after renewing or you get a new number. It would be best if you get to keep the number, but this may be a factor in how you label your UAV.

yea they send you stickers and a bunch of documentation...

Not in the USA. You just get a unique registration number after registering online. It’s up to you to choose how to apply it to your UAV. The are no “papers.”

The law changed and you need to register each drone, but as I understand it they use a single tail number for all the recreational drones a particular pilot registers.

No!
For recreational users, it is the pilot, not the drone, that is registered. There is no method to register drones, only pilots.
The pilot’s registration number is attached to the drone.

No!
For recreational users, it is the pilot, not the drone, that is registered. There is no method to register drones, only pilots.
The pilot’s registration number is attached to the drone.

It’s not clear from the FAA’s “drone registration” websites who or what is “registered,” but in all cases it is reasonable to assume that it’s the UAV owner that is being registered. You can’t sue a drone or hold it responsible for damages/violations.

I assume that the FAA is “registering” each commercial UAV because they are tracking commercial use closer than recreational use.

Interesingly enough (an FYI only), in Canada both the pilot and drone are registered. The pilot has a registration # with Transport Canada that identifies the license type (basic or advanced), and any drone(s) that the pilot intends to fly must be registered, each drone being assigned a unique # that must be displayed on the bird.

Reactions: RotorWash
Interestingly enough (an FYI only), in Canada both the pilot and drone are registered. The pilot has a registration # with Transport Canada that identifies the license type (basic or advanced), and any drone(s) that the pilot intends to fly must be registered, each drone being assigned a unique # that must be displayed on the bird.

In the USA, we are not quite there yet, but commercial UAV pilots are currently "registered" via. the Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107) Remote Pilot certification process. The FAA is planning to implement a similar training, testing, and certification process for recreational pilots, which I assume will be an online process that is easier and less expensive. So in the near future, all UAV pilots in the USA will be required to be "registered," and we will be on par with Canada (in this respect).

UAVs that weigh between 0.55 and 55-lbs are already required to be "registered," which I have indicated elsewhere is really another way to register the owner/pilot of the aircraft for liability reasons - you can't sue or hold a drone responsible for violating the law, personal injury, property damage, and other losses caused by drones. For example, shutting down an airport results in great financial loss for which the UAV operator is responsible and probably criminally negligent.

I assume that pilot registration in the USA and elsewhere is actually a process to grant flying privileges to would-be pilots that can be revoked due to noncompliance with the rules. I imagine that Local law enforcement will be involved with enforcing the rules and reporting violations to the FAA or the equivalent authority in other countries for further action such as fines, and revoking Remote Pilot privileges (see Legal Enforcement Actions). It won't be long before local police will be asking UAV pilots to review applicable credentials, logs, etc. They already have the right, but I assume, not the training or the time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme