Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

return to home settings

geOrgiO

Join
Apr 11, 2019
If I want to fly walking down a trail with trees what what should the return to be set at?

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, geOrgiO.

The RTH responds differently depending on the situation.

Here's a flow chart to help understand how it works.

20190122_100811.png

Welcome to the Forum. ?

Reactions: jimlips
If I want to fly walking down a trail with trees what what should the return to be set at?
Are you going to be walking down the trail as you fly? Do the trees cover the top of the trail or is it wide open?

Reactions: Marksspark
I will often choose an open air space for taking off/home point then move around, that way if something happens, the spark is going to land in the open/clear space, less risky than where I might be standing with the dynamic home point feature.

It really depends on your flight plans and what you are doing at the time. You would not want your RTH height set at 100 feet if there would be a time during your flight that the drone could not fly to that height if there was an obstacle above it. RTH at currant height option maybe better to use.

You never know when return to home will activate. so when flying it is inportant to keep the RTH setting in mind some time RTH takes place when you do not expect it too. I have found that flying in a wooded area I have lost signal with the controller and RTH has clicked in

Last edited:
I will often choose an open air space for taking off/home point then move around, that way if something happens, the spark is going to land in the open/clear space, less risky than where I might be standing with the dynamic home point feature.
Robin have you been able to fly using the dynamic home point feature. I have not been successful in getting this feature to work.

It really depends on your flight plans and what you are doing at the time. You would not want your RTH height set at 100 feet if there would be a time during your flight that the drone could not fly to that height if there was an obstacle above it. RTH at currant height option maybe better to use.

You never know when return to home will activate. so when flying it is inportant to keep the RTH setting in mind some time RTH takes place when you do not expect it too. I have found that flying in a wooded area I have lost signal with the controller and RTH has clicked in
Hi Marksspark Thanks for the reply. I am worried I might suddenly lose signal

Thanks Robin it looks like my idea of flying amonst the trees is a no no

Are you going to be walking down the trail as you fly? Do the trees cover the top of the trail or is it wide open?
My plan was to walk down the trail next to a small river and fly through the trees and over the water

My plan was to walk down the trail next to a small river and fly through the trees and over the water
In that case, it would be a good idea to manually reset the home point to your current location each time you move to a new spot. That way, the Spark won't try to fly back to the takeoff point if it needs to return home for some reason.

In that case, it would be a good idea to manually reset the home point to your current location each time you move to a new spot. That way, the Spark won't try to fly back to the takeoff point if it needs to return home for some reason.
Thank you for your help. I thought that was going to be the only solution but being a newbie I thought I would ask the experts.

Robin have you been able to fly using the dynamic home point feature. I have not been successful in getting this feature to work.

That feature doesn't work. Can't set the RC/device as Home Point and have it periodically update to your new position. I can only use drone position for HP.

I started a thread about this issue previously and nobody had a solution. In fact zero responders actually understood the question and gave unrelated info.

If anybody has dynamic home point working in manual flight modes (with iOS) please explain the steps to set up.

If anybody has dynamic home point working in manual flight modes (with iOS) please explain the steps to set up.
In DJI GO, you can only use the dynamic home point feature when flying in Gesture mode or ActiveTrack mode.

In DJI GO, you can only use the dynamic home point feature when flying in Gesture mode or ActiveTrack mode.

Not the answer I was hoping for. But at least I've got confirmation that I'm not doing something wrong. Thank you!

I was hoping to get Dynamic Home Point to work when in normal (manual) flight mode. The on-screen options sure look like DJI intended to include this feature at some point but changed their mind. Perhaps they where concerned that they couldn't control the accuracy of GPS on the pilots handheld device and would get fly aways if bad signal.

This would be an extremely helpful feature when boating, hiking, etc. I'm hoping Spark 2.0 has a GPS chip in the remote control to circumvent this limitation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar