Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Running in Hot Weather

desert spark

Join
Apr 16, 2018
Loc
Bullhead City, Arizona
I have found a lot of discussion about flying in cold but wonder about higher temperatures. I know DJI says 104 deg F as a max but is it possible to push the envelope for short (sunset photo) flights?
This is very important to me since the temps here are outrageous to say the least.

Reactions: perrylawrence
I have found a lot of discussion about flying in cold but wonder about higher temperatures. I know DJI says 104 deg F as a max but is it possible to push the envelope for short (sunset photo) flights?
This is very important to me since the temps here are outrageous to say the least.

Not sure about the Spark itself, however If you are running iOS then you will hit a wall in the 90°’s. iOS devices dim their screen as your device heats up. This often makes it very difficult to see the screen.

Shading your device helps as well as third party fans that attach to the back (have one and works well).

I haven't experienced hot enough weather to get a warning prompt but have when flying in the cold.
The Spark flew fine below the factory specs but you have to keep the batteries warm when it's cold outside.

20171213_174953.png

I've flown in the 90°s F and the battery was close to 140° after the flight.

Good luck.

Not sure about the Spark itself, however If you are running iOS then you will hit a wall in the 90°’s. iOS devices dim their screen as your device heats up. This often makes it very difficult to see the screen.

Shading your device helps as well as third party fans that attach to the back (have one and works well).
This

I believe the Spark has temperature sensors that provide telemetry if something overheats, like a motor.

If my conversion is correct ..104 f =40 Deg C ..then I have never had a problem with the spark at over this temperature..I live in the desert but while flying my phone has turned off from the heat (Samsung note 5 ) seems that constant WiFi between the phone and RC causes more heat ...my biggest problem is not being able to see the phone screen because it's so bright ...measured the tar road the other day ..it's black and absorbs heat ..it was seventy (70) Deg C

Reactions: desert spark
I haven't seen an overheat issue and we had 106°F (41°C) the other day and I went up.
The only thing I see is the iPhone temperature compensate with dimming the screen.
Any override to that?

Strap a re-freezable icepack (lunch box size) to the back of your phone! If you have an iPhone 7 or up, its water resistant to 3 feet submerged, so the condensation would not be an issue. Put some paper towel in between. I am not speaking from experience. we have been back to our normal 80's here lately.... 106? Holy cr@p ! In theory that would work for the length of time a few batteries would give you.

I’ve flown in the 90s and low hundreds with no issues using iPhone 8 Plus. Screen visibility is an issue. Consider using a shade over the screen. Don’t leave your batteries in the sun. The batteries will be too hot to recharge immediately after the flight. I expect it would be fine in the teens but honestly I don’t want to be out in the heat.

I haven't seen an overheat issue and we had 106°F (41°C) the other day and I went up.
The only thing I see is the iPhone temperature compensate with dimming the screen.
Any override to that?

Good question!
Anything to brighten the screen would be great.
Any solutions out there??

Post #2, perrylawrence, spoke of a third party cooling fan.

Something like this.

Strap a re-freezable icepack (lunch box size) to the back of your phone!

You could use one of the flexible ice packs that is used for healthcare so that you can get a better fit and imerse your phone in a pillow of cool bliss.:)

Reactions: desert spark
You could use one of the flexible ice packs that is used for healthcare so that you can get a better fit and imerse your phone in a pillow of cool bliss.:)

In that heat I'd want an icepack for under my shirt!

Check this out.

It requires a slight modification to the remote but you can sit inside your vehicle and fly comfortably year round.:)

Normally lipo temps of 140 F and above can lead to shortening battery life. Flying wixed wings, lipos at that temp usually swelled , and subsequently failed. Swelling may not be noticed with DJI batteries since they are packed in hard shells.

Check this out.

It requires a slight modification to the remote but you can sit inside your vehicle and fly comfortably year round.:)

What does that cost? And can the remote be used without it after the mod?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502