Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

SD Card Death

Northwood Mediaworks

Former Spark & Mavic Air 2 Flyer
Premium Pilot
Join
Jan 15, 2018
Loc
Northern Ontario, Canada
Web
northwoodmediaworks.com
So, wondering if any others here have had their SD card suddenly fail.... Last week, I copied all the files off the card into my Mac. I ejected the SD card caddy as usual, later when went to reinsert it, it needed to be intialized...and then formatting failed.... saws its in RAW mode. I googled the heck out of it, seems like the card has simply died... Pain in the butt... however, I have ordered a few more. I had a spare, so this weekend's flying was not lost.

Is this common, its a Sandisk Extreme 32gb.... ?

Reactions: alex411
Have you tried to run the disk repair or reformat tools on your Mac using the Dusk Utility app? Sometimes you can salvage them that way

Yes, I tried in the Mac, in Windows, going to try Linux today! I think it might just be done... But it bothers me as to why... is it a manufacturer's flaw, or some function that whacked it that I inadvertently caused. I see there are some $$ tools that purport to be able to repair, I smell snake oil on those.. so I will just buy a few more...

Last edited:
That is the first time I have heard of such. I had a Sandisk card that I bought on eBay that turned out to be a fake and it made my Spark go haywire. I will never buy a memory card online again after that.

That is the first time I have heard of such. I had a Sandisk card that I bought on eBay that turned out to be a fake and it made my Spark go haywire. I will never buy a memory card online again after that.

Good to know, I bought that one at a store... a big reputable store... so I will go back there for new ones... I have purchased a few others from them, no issues....

I also had a Sandisc 32 Gb that suddenly did not record anything more than one third of its capacity. Copied what was on it and tried to reformat in Windows and a separat sd card format program. Did not work. Then I contacted Sandisk and had to give them the number printed on the card and they changed it on guarantee. With them paying for UPS transport both ways as they wanted the old one back.

Makes me wonder if even the big name retailers are somehow getting bootlegged Chinese memory cards and do not know it. I only buy mine at Walmart now and I keep the receipt just in case of any issues. eBay has been swamped with bogus cards for a while now and it is getting harder and harder to tell the fake ones from the authentic ones.

I also had a Sandisc 32 Gb that suddenly did not record anything more than one third of its capacity. Copied what was on it and tried to reformat in Windows and a separat sd card format program. Did not work. Then I contacted Sandisk and had to give them the number printed on the card and they changed it on guarantee. With them paying for UPS transport both ways as they wanted the old one back.

Thanks, I am gonna try that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme