Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Should I get the DJI goggles or should I get something else?

Andrei

Join
Jan 4, 2019
I am a drone newbie, and my best drone is a DJI Spark.
I want to get FPV googles but not to race, but for an immersive experience when I fly.
Are the DJI goggles (anywhere between 399 and 438 depending on the exact model on Amazon) the very best I can get?
Here are a few caveats:
  1. I have a rather large head (26 inches in diameter)
  2. I wear corrective lenses
  3. I don't race, but I would like the best immersive experience
  4. I would prefer a wide angle and big screen (mainly for safety since the Spark only has forward obstacle avoidance)
What can you recommend?
Shall I get the DJI goggles and, if yes, what model/version?

Thanks!

I am a drone newbie, and my best drone is a DJI Spark.
I want to get FPV googles but not to race, but for an immersive experience when I fly.
Are the DJI goggles (anywhere between 399 and 438 depending on the exact model on Amazon) the very best I can get?
Here are a few caveats:
  1. I have a rather large head (26 inches in diameter)
  2. I wear corrective lenses
  3. I don't race, but I would like the best immersive experience
  4. I would prefer a wide angle and big screen (mainly for safety since the Spark only has forward obstacle avoidance)
What can you recommend?
Shall I get the DJI goggles and, if yes, what model/version?

Thanks!
I have used the DJI goggles for over a year - the original white version. If you are not flying a racing drone, there's no point in getting the racing RE version of the DJI goggles.

I highly recommend the DJI goggles. However, if you go the route of DJI goggles, you can not go back to a cheap setup. They are that much better.

If you have not ever flown FPV, there is a less expensive way to see if you will like it. You can get an app called the Litchi app, and use your phone with a less expensive VR set of goggles - can be as little as $10. This set up will cost between $35 and $50. I started out this way, and it was a good experience. It was an inexpensive way to see how the FPV experience works. However, my phone lagged with or without goggles. If you have an iphone, or strong android phone, your experience will be better than my experience with the Litchi/cheap FPV route. The chief difference between DJI goggles, and the litchi with phone route is the screen resolution, and it is a significant difference. Had my phone worked better; however, I may not have upgraded to the DJI goggles.

If you do use Litchi, be sure that the DJI GO4 app is not running in the background. If it is running in the background, there will be a conflict between the Litchi app and the DJI app.

I highly recommend the DJI goggles. However, if you go the route of DJI goggles, you can not go back to a cheap setup, so I recommend starting out with a cheap setup.

Assuming corrective lenses means eye glasses, the DJI goggles are designed to be used in conjunction with eye glasses. You may also make use of corrective lenses installed into the goggles. DJI sells a set; however, many people, if not most, prefer the brand Focus Fixers, which are also designed to 'snap' into the DJI goggles.

When you are ready, consider purchasing the DJI goggles second hand. Many people buy the goggles, and don't use them, so they eventually sell them. Often, the second hand price is $200 to $250. They are not hard to find used. I bought mine used, and they were brand new; essentially.

Regarding the wide screen to avoid hitting objects, if you are at an altitude sufficient enough, you will not need to be concerned with obstacle avoidance. If you are flying low, then stop the drone. While hovering, rotate the drone in a circle to better understand your environment before proceeding.

For many of us, the DJI goggles are the preferred way to fly a drone. There is nothing else like it. If you cannot make use of a spotter, then you will be breaking the FAA rules/guidelines/law. I fly out in the middle of nowhere, so I am not overly concerned with making use of a spotter. I realize there is risk, but the loss is all on me, so it's a chance I'm willing to take. In all honesty, I doubt anyone uses a spotter.

The Spark is a great drone. However, it is limited. One day, you may acquire a DJI Mavic Pro (original version can be purchased for as little as $500, now; often with multiple batteries.). The DJI goggles are designed for use with the Mavic Pro. The combination of the MP with the goggles is remarkable.

Hope this helps

Good luck.

If you cannot make use of a spotter, then you will be breaking the FAA rules/guidelines/law

yes, I saw that in the new rules they don't allow FPV as a form of "line of sight". That is rather annoying.

Assuming corrective lenses means eye glasses, the DJI goggles are designed to be used in conjunction with eye glasses. You may also make use of corrective lenses installed into the goggles. DJI sells a set; however, many people, if not most, prefer the brand Focus Fixers, which are also designed to 'snap' into the DJI goggles.

That is very interesting. I will try to use my glasses, but they are progressives, so I don't know if that works. Also, I am not sure that I need glasses, since the screen will be very close to my eyes. I will have to try. And, if that does not work, I will get the Focus Fixers, thank you for that pointer!

Thanks for your reply. Question: I have read the following on various sites:
1) DJI Goggles with the Spark don't work with 1080 only 720
2) DJI Goggles with the Spark limit the Spark's range to what it is with a cellphone (as oppose to the longer range with the RC)
3) It is very hard to setup the DJI Goggles with the Spark and each time you have to go through a convoluted procedure
4) If you fly the Spark with DJI Goggles you cannot use an mobile device (tablet, phone) so if something goes wrong with the goggles, you will have to fly using only your eyes
Which of these are true?
Thank you!

Thanks for your reply. Question: I have read the following on various sites:
1) DJI Goggles with the Spark don't work with 1080 only 720
2) DJI Goggles with the Spark limit the Spark's range to what it is with a cellphone (as oppose to the longer range with the RC)
3) It is very hard to setup the DJI Goggles with the Spark and each time you have to go through a convoluted procedure
4) If you fly the Spark with DJI Goggles you cannot use an mobile device (tablet, phone) so if something goes wrong with the goggles, you will have to fly using only your eyes
Which of these are true?
Thank you!

1) True, and while it is a significant difference. 720p is still reasonably good. 720p is certainly better than most cheap set ups. Will you ever upgrade to the original Mavic Pro? A used unit costs as much as the Spark these days, and is at least 10 times better. So, you could consider your entry to the goggles with the Spark as preparation for the future. Note that when using the MP and goggles. If you travel futher than a mile the resolution drops down from 1080p to 720p at the mile mark.

2) False

3) False.
It is not hard. the steps are the same, however there is a specific order to the steps.
The only difference I'm aware of is the need for the use of a cable between the remote and the goggles
There are several to many videos of use of Spark and goggles on Youtube. The video below may answer some of your questions; especially regarding the specific steps of set up.
There are no additional steps just a specific order.
If one day you do buy the goggles, before takeng your Spark and goggles to the field for the first time, write down these steps to bring with you. Stick the notes in your case.
I recommend that you take the propellers off the spark and get use to the set up and the goggles in your home. that way you are confident when you get to the field. this would be true for a cheap set up as well.

4) False. you MUST use a phone, or tablet.
With the Mavic Pro, at first, we didn't have to use a phone, but now we do for fail safe reasons. If you attempt to fly MP with goggles, and bypass the phone, the range is restricted to that of flying by cell phone. I discovered that by surprise, and was reasonably upset about it. Not because the range was limited, though that did suck, but because, yesterday it was fine, and today, WTF?

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Yes, that helps very much!
Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers