Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Signal strength beyond 200meters

Maersk65

Join
Jul 30, 2019
Loc
UK ??
Hi, I have 2 queries regarding spark signal strength and would like to ask those who achieved flights beyond 200m:
My setup consists of Spark in force FCC mode on 5.8, Dji controller and my iPad mini 4 connected through OTG cable using dji go4 app.

I noticed my signal drops beyond 200m flying in back fields of my house , therefore would like to know:
1-Is it better to fly high say 20 or 30meters high to get better signal keeping the drone within LOS.
2-Is the signal the same when the spark pointing away from you OR pointing toward you?

Thanks and happy Droning...

The further you fly away, the higher up you are is best to help keep a clear path for the signal.

I fly at about 60 meters, which is half the allowed height to fly in the US.

I think the antennas are on the back half of the Spark because I have lost connection before when at a distance and turning the Spark around, breaking the weak signal.

If the signal gets sketchy, I’ll fly backwards keeping the rear of the Spark facing me until it gets stronger before turning around.

The parabolic reflectors work well with the signals to and from the Spark and are inexpensive.

You have to make sure to face the Spark due to the concentrated signal. If you turn around with the remote for some reason, you may have a signal loss.

Last edited:
The further you fly away, the higher up you are is best to help keep a clear path for the signal.

I fly at about 60 meters, which is half the allowed height to fly in the US.

I think the antennas are on the back half of the Spark because I have lost connection before when at a distance and turning the Spark around, breaking the weak signal.

If the signal gets sketchy, I’ll fly backwards keeping the rear of the Spark facing me until it gets stronger before turning around.

The parabolic reflectors work well with the signals to and from the Spark and are inexpensive.

You have to make sure to face the Spark due to the concentrated signal. If you turn around with the remote for some reason, you may have a signal loss.

Thank you Spark317

Very useful info, great ? I thought I better ask, I keep thinking about it!!!
Will adventure next time when the weather here in the UK improve ☹️

I’m not sure if flying higher is better. Remember you are sharing the signal and the higher you go the more you share it. I rarely fly higher than 100ft. I’ve been looking at the world from higher for nearly sixty years and I really appreciate a closer look...but..like I said before...I’m not sure.

Reactions: Maersk65
I’m not sure if flying higher is better. Remember you are sharing the signal and the higher you go the more you share it. I rarely fly higher than 100ft. I’ve been looking at the world from higher for nearly sixty years and I really appreciate a closer look...but..like I said before...I’m not sure.
Hi hiflyer, point /concerns well taken... thanks for the advice. We learn things everyday:)
Must be nice for you to fly at closer levels :)

I set a distance limit of 150m and 75M altitude for my spark for two interrelated reasons. First....In Canada we have to fly within VLOS...visual line of sight...and my old eyes can see the dot still generally well at about 150M. Did that through testing...ie how for out before I lost visual sight of it. For me..200M is the maximum limit, even with my glasseso_O I also found that within that envelope, the signal loss issue doesn't seem to be a problem. The maximum altitude here in Canada is also 122M...or roughly 400 feet.

I set a distance limit of 150m and 75M altitude for my spark for two interrelated reasons. First....In Canada we have to fly within VLOS...visual line of sight...and my old eyes can see the dot still generally well at about 150M. Did that through testing...ie how for out before I lost visual sight of it. For me..200M is the maximum limit, even with my glasseso_O I also found that within that envelope, the signal loss issue doesn't seem to be a problem. The maximum altitude here in Canada is also 122M...or roughly 400 feet.
Hi kingsnake11, I'm also from Canada and always keep the Spark within good VLOS as required by law. I max out at 100m AGL. I added red prop protectors and discovered they really help visibility -- especially on a sunny day, like bright red reflectors. As far as distance, I keep it above the trees, 40-80m AGL and with the sun at my back and can see easily to 300m or so without any difficulty. No point taking the risk to go beyond comfort zone. Fly safe!

Today I flew to :
1_an altitude of 354 ft (107 meter)
2_a range (over water) of 1344 ft (409 meters)

I few out in Sport mode, switched to P-GPS mode, took a 360 panorama,

Salem Harbor -USA
Salem Harbor - 8000px

switched back to Sport mode for the return and landed with 31% battery left.

I use a USB OTG, a USB cable, an Android 9 phone, the DJI Go 4 app and a stock Spark controller. No problems on this flight.

Screenshot_20190822-230318.png

Screenshot_20190822-230257.png

Salem Harbor
Salem Harbor - 8000px

Last edited:
Hi, I have 2 queries regarding spark signal strength and would like to ask those who achieved flights beyond 200m:
My setup consists of Spark in force FCC mode on 5.8, Dji controller and my iPad mini 4 connected through OTG cable using dji go4 app.

I noticed my signal drops beyond 200m flying in back fields of my house , therefore would like to know:
1-Is it better to fly high say 20 or 30meters high to get better signal keeping the drone within LOS.
2-Is the signal the same when the spark pointing away from you OR pointing toward you?

Thanks and happy Droning...

I am on forced FCC mode too with an Android device. I too use an OTG cable and fly at 5.8 Ghz. So 200m is too less in my opinion. I get very good signal upto 800m. It is only at 1km+ that the video feed gets choppy. Of course there can be exceptions in areas of high interference. Now regarding the 2 questions you have asked, yes you get better signal when the bird is higher up. I make it a point to increase altitude whenever I see lag or choppiness on my video feed. Also I dont think it matters which way the drone is facing.

Here's the log of my max. distance flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex