Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Simple questions

Firestat

Join
Jul 8, 2017
Right now, I cannot fly my Spark in the class D area I am in. (Cannot take off). If I move to a Class G area, will the Spark let me take off automatically or is there something I need to do?

Do the FAA rules apply to fixed wing aircraft, too?

Thanks in advance

Firestat

Ok, I'm in Australia, but over on Mavic Pilots there is a great thread about the FAA changes and current rules etc.

Reasonably sure you would be fine when in G airspace.

If any troubles, I'm pretty sure LAANC (it was available for all, but now only part 107) is still not available to hobbyists, but think there are plans for it to be sometime.
I am sure with LAANC it is a very simple process to unlock and area.

Not sure about fixed wing model flyers in the US, but here in Australia they are under the new rules / registration system we will soon have.

Just spotted another MP forum thread where someone US based asked . . .
Does the 5 mile rule apply to airports located in class G airspace?

Replies . . .
* as a hobbyist, i am clear to fly in class g airspace without authorization even if there is a tiny airport less an 5 miles away as long as i fly with caution.
(EDIT - apparently no more 5 mile rule)

* caution includes staying clear of the airport as approaching and departing planes can easily be flying in your 400’ airspace.

(Of course airports with traffic control are under the buffer rule, of airmap etc.)

Last edited:
I live in a class g area and can confirm that I am able to fly without restriction in it. (Other than all the normal rules for class g.)

Just spotted another MP forum thread where someone US based asked . . .
Does the 5 mile rule apply to airports located in class G airspace?

Replies . . .
* as a hobbyist, i am clear to fly in class g airspace without authorization even if there is a tiny airport less an 5 miles away as long as i fly with caution.
(EDIT - apparently no more 5 mile rule)

* caution includes staying clear of the airport as approaching and departing planes can easily be flying in your 400’ airspace.

(Of course airports with traffic control are under the buffer rule, of airmap etc.)
Thanks all for your input.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme