Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Skydio 2

SparkinItUp

Join
Sep 15, 2019
Well.....I will always be a faithful DJI user and I believe they produce a Very Solid Product....But....I bit the bullet and put my reserved down payment on the Sykdio 2. I'm Not the one that is the first to buy anything, but I couldn't resist on this one. In fact this will be the Only time I have preordered anything. I just couldn't pass this up especially with the Bill that's trying to pass. Let me know your honest opinions on the Skydio 2 (skydio.com). Oh yeah...It's also Made in America, right in my home state of California!

I prefer not to be on the bleeding edge. Skydio2 seems very attractive, and I am nearly pushing the button on a Mavic 2, but something in me says wait... Winter is coming (is this Game of thrones still??? I have not seen the final season!) and where I am, that limits the frequency of flying somewhat, so I may wait until spring to decide and see how early adopters get along with the Skydio. Flight time is not that great, and I am tired of Sparky's short attention span on a battery... so the Mavics seem like a much better bet in that respect. I dont really care about tracking... so..... 4k60 is the one feature that might sway me, or not.

I prefer not to be on the bleeding edge. Skydio2 seems very attractive, and I am nearly pushing the button on a Mavic 2, but something in me says wait... Winter is coming (is this Game of thrones still??? I have not seen the final season!) and where I am, that limits the frequency of flying somewhat, so I may wait until spring to decide and see how early adopters get along with the Skydio. Flight time is not that great, and I am tired of Sparky's short attention span on a battery... so the Mavics seem like a much better bet in that respect. I dont really care about tracking... so..... 4k60 is the one feature that might sway me, or not.
I agree about that battery life on the Skydio2. I like to bike so tracking means a lot to me and the 4k60 is is also very nice. It just boils down to what your wants are in my opinion. Have fun with that Mavic 2 if that's what you decide on!

I've been looking at YT discussions about the Skydio2 and it certainly is an amazing piece of technology. The incredible obstacle avoidance system and the way it ties into the action tracking is simply incredible, especially at the price point of $999 USD (drone only). The 3 axis gimballed 4k/60fps HDR video/12MP HDR photo camera streams 100Mb/s which is outstanding, but there are other drones with cameras as good and even better. Flight time is respectable, but not exceptional. Range is stated as 200 meters with phone WiFi, 3.5km with optional controller and 1.5km with optional beacon that provides a homing signal from the tracked target to the drone even when it can't see you. Most of the amazing videos I see are using Skydio2 as a sports/action/selfie drone. The ability to track and fly autonomously around and among obstacles while shooting video at up to 36mph without an operator is big. The company is based in the U.S. and reportedly says that, if you're operating the drone within their safe flight parameters and anything causes the drone to crash, they will repair or replace it at no charge. It is not a folding drone and kind of resembles the Spark, but with the forward props on the bottom and aft props on top. I applaud any company that's willing to step into the high end consumer drone market and go toe to toe with the likes of DJI, and Autel while offering capabilities in a single package that the others do not. Many of us can't justify spending a grand or more on a hobby drone, but maybe in time Skydio will scale what they've learned to more affordable drones. One thing for sure, since the U.S. government has introduced legislation to prevent purchase of foreign made drones, looks like Skydio is in the right place at the right time with the right product.

I was impressed by one the promotional videos that I watched.

The Skydio was flying through steel beams inside an automotive garage and the battery is secured via a magnet.

So no more pesky compass errors or GPS loss since it uses the on onboard cameras to fly.

I've been hesitant to order this thing with the talk of the Mavic Mini...Then I thought I have the M2P...why do I need a smaller version of that. I then went to the site and reserved one. Saying I am in batch 3 which ships 2nd quarter of 2020. I plan to buy an extra battery and the beacon. I am not getting a RC. My Mavic will be my fly drone and Skydio will be an action cam.

I've been hesitant to order this thing with the talk of the Mavic Mini...Then I thought I have the M2P...why do I need a smaller version of that. I then went to the site and reserved one. Saying I am in batch 3 which ships 2nd quarter of 2020. I plan to buy an extra battery and the beacon. I am not getting a RC. My Mavic will be my fly drone and Skydio will be an action cam.
I didn't even know about the Mavic Mini when I put my down payment on the Skydio 2 weeks ago. I only have the Spark, (and still loving it btw) so now I'm looking at the Mavic Mini too...lol. I do a lot of biking so I'm thinking of using the Skydio 2 for that, the Mavic Mini for the cinematics and my Spark just because. I travel a lot and the Spark is great company, --hope the Misses doesn't read this? .--

I didn't even know about the Mavic Mini when I put my down payment on the Skydio 2 weeks ago. I only have the Spark, (and still loving it btw) so now I'm looking at the Mavic Mini too...lol. I do a lot of biking so I'm thinking of using the Skydio 2 for that, the Mavic Mini for the cinematics and my Spark just because. I travel a lot and the Spark is great company, --hope the Misses doesn't read this[emoji15] .--
Oh yeah...the Mavic Mini and a Skydio 2 would be a great combo, if you've only had the Spark. After having the M2P, I can't get anything less than as my main drone.
When is your Skydio delivery?

A couple M2P shots I took. IMG_20190610_145717_870.jpgIMG_20190612_224827_198.jpg

Oh yeah...the Mavic Mini and a Skydio 2 would be a great combo, if you've only had the Spark. After having the M2P, I can't get anything less than as my main drone.
When is your Skydio delivery?

A couple M2P shots I took. View attachment 11541View attachment 11542
Very Nice Pics! I have some great stuff (vids) of San Francisco (Treasure Island/Yerba Buena, Coit Tower, Palace of Fine Arts, and Pacifica). I'm pretty new to this forum and would like to do some uploading, just haven't done it before. I'm in Batch 2 as far as the Skydio goes. Would like Santa to bring it for Christmas, but I know that's wishful thinking...it's scheduled to start shipping in January 2020.

Reactions: R1Sparky

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme