Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Snow

rich777

Join
Nov 16, 2017
Hi all with all this snow in the UK is it safe for me to fly my spark.
Should I fly it on sport mode as I think the vertical sensors are turned off.
Anyway any help would be much appreciated.
Rich

Enabling sport mode does not disable the vision system. So, it'll fly the same if you take off in sport mode.

Reactions: rich777
I flew mine in light snow and it was fine. Got some pretty neat pictures out of it at my friend's house, just for fun. No actual "good" footage because I didn't want to risk it too much being out in the snow too long. I also made sure I brushed off any snow/dried off anything that got wet (but there was only a few tiny wet spots on the very top. Nothing on the bottom etc). Here's one of the pics I took. Nothing special but still, just having some fun :)

Attachments

• IMG_0546.JPG
    IMG_0546.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Reactions: Nikon1 and rich777
Well that's a great shot.
I'm still scared to go up!
I wonder is there anyway I can fly it manually so the sensors are not affected by the snow. I flown RC aircraft 4 years so I'm ok with orientation.

I've flown all my drones when its been snowing. This includes my Inspire. I'm not talking blizzard or heavy we snow. The drier slower type snow. I just follow the cold-weather flying rules and all has been fine...

So, theres no warning message on the Spark when the battery tempuratue gets too cold?

Yes. I received a message to warm the batteries to 70*F.

I had my bag outside in the shade on a 45*F day and prepped for launch when the warning popped up.

If you keep your batteries at the proper temperature before launch, you should be fine. But the cold will drain the battery faster.

And never use cold batteries as this will damage the cells and degrade the life of the battery.

Thanks for your encouragement if it ever snows again I'll try it.
Rich

Yes. I received a message to warm the batteries to 70*F.

I had my bag outside in the shade on a 45*F day and prepped for launch when the warning popped up.

If you keep your batteries at the proper temperature before launch, you should be fine. But the cold will drain the battery faster.

And never use cold batteries as this will damage the cells and degrade the life of the battery.

Thanks for the reply! I was just curious since I hadn't flown the Spark in the cold yet.

Here's a screen shot...

20171213_174953.png

Rich
I took a gamble yesterday and sent up my Spark. It was warning me about the high wind/struggling to get GPS... but went for it anyway when the snow eased of a bit! It seemed to have a mind of its own - shot up high and then went 1/4 mile North without my use of any control! I managed to bring it back but won't try again when it is actually snowing...

Reactions: Rafa7 and rich777
Rich
Just mind the winds. Up here in Yorkshire the gusts are up to 50mph.

Reactions: the88man
I managed to bring it back but won't try again when it is actually snowing...

Good job getting it home.
Depending on how heavy the snow is falling, the obstacle avoidance will go bananas because it may think there's a "wall" everywhere. :eek:

I took mine skiing, got lucky one day with no winds and managed to get this shot (the dot in the middle is me!)
I kept the batteries in my coat chest pocket. (Consider using a pocket hand warmer too)
I also used a landing pad to keep the snow off but the snow still managed to stick to RC etc - it’s risky
for sure, take a towel, but it can make for good shots.

Attachments

• B3219610-46D2-4BD5-BAE1-3E7B09EDA406.jpeg
    B3219610-46D2-4BD5-BAE1-3E7B09EDA406.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 30
Good job getting it home.
Depending on how heavy the snow is falling, the obstacle avoidance will go bananas because it may think there's a "wall" everywhere. :eek:
I think that what it was doing - went with the snowflakes/the wind! Nice one...

I took mine skiing, got lucky one day with no winds and managed to get this shot (the dot in the middle is me!)
I kept the batteries in my coat chest pocket. (Consider using a pocket hand warmer too)
I also used a landing pad to keep the snow off but the snow still managed to stick to RC etc - it’s risky
for sure, take a towel, but it can make for good shots.
I have a land gear attachment - looks just like a little sledge!

Reactions: n16dun

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena