Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark 2 scrapped?

That's what looks like, however there will be new drones by next year that will have a great feature that people would be able see any airplanes or helicopters close to the drone and airplanes also would be able to see the drone on the radar. This is a great tool for everyone to be safe on the sky.

Any links ? I can only remember some sites speculating there might be a Spark 2...
It's a bit hard to see what they could have added honestly without getting too close to the Air.

Reactions: Sparksteeler
Any links ? I can only remember some sites speculating there might be a Spark 2...
It's a bit hard to see what they could have added honestly without getting too close to the Air.

That's what looks like, however there will be new drones by next year that will have a great feature that people would be able see any airplanes or helicopters close to the drone and airplanes also would be able to see the drone on the radar. This is a great tool for everyone to be safe on the sky.
The posting doesn't say anything about "airplanes would be able to see the drone on the radar."

Only the drone pilot would be able see any aircraft that are equipped with the ADS-B transmitters.

Most small planes, gliders and cropdusters do not use this technology (yet). More info about ADS-B, see this wiki page:

Automatic dependent surveillance – broadcast - Wikipedia

I sure hope that DJI doesn't do something silly like put up "no fly zones" when it detects an ADS-B transmitter. I see all kinds of issues with that. I'm fine with an alert popping up on the controller that shows where an approaching plane is. But if the plane is above 400', I'm not interested, and it should not affect my drone flying.

The first official word I heard on any Spark 2 was "Not in July."

Here is some insight from DP (digital Photography) Review
An industry insider told us that DJI sent out a memo last week stating: “due to a shift in priorities the July 23 event is now on hold until further notice." Unfortunately, no information was provided explaining the postponement nor was a new date announced.'
Speculation on Spark 2 specs include:
  • 4K video at 30fps
  • Increased video bitrate
  • An improved 3-axis gimbal
  • 2x digital zoom
  • An increased flight time of 18 minutes versus 16 minutes for the original Spark
  • New battery design that is not compatible with the original model
  • Same official range but with a new antenna design and a new remote controller featuring improved tech for a better connection. OcuSync 2.0 will likely not be included
If not released this summer, many pilots will not have a chance to fly until next summer.

It's likely, the price will be higher than the current Spark 1 prices

Why wait to pay more for less

Upgrade to a new to you well cared for Mavic Pro that has at least the soecs listed above and better battery life and range with Occusync

An industry insider told us that DJI sent out a memo last week stating: “due to a shift in priorities the July 23 event is now on hold until further notice." Unfortunately, no information was provided explaining the postponement nor was a new date announced.'
  • 4K video at 30fps
  • 2x digital zoom
  • An increased flight time of 18 minutes versus 16 minutes for the original Spark
  • Same official range but with a new antenna design and a new remote controller featuring improved tech for a better connection. OcuSync 2.0 will likely not be included
If not released this summer, many pilots will not have a chance to fly until next summer.

Upgrade to a new to you well cared for Mavic Pro that has at least the soecs listed above and better battery life and range with Occusync

I have one offered in the classifieds at this link

So looking at the alleged specifications, the spark 2 is nothing more than a small DJI mavic air.

Reactions: peejay
An industry insider told us that DJI sent out a memo last week stating: “due to a shift in priorities the July 23 event is now on hold until further notice."

Just a wild thought, July 23rd was the release date of a DJI annoucment and the FAA is due to release LAANC on July 23rd.
Maybe something had to go back for a retrofit of sorts?

Any connection?
I dunno.?

Seems like it, and both are wifi, enhanced or otherwise.

Wifi is inferior to Occusync
Looks like DJI is just like Apple... They don't really care for inexpensive products... They only care to add juice for the high-end products.

Just a wild thought, July 23rd was the release date of a DJI annoucment and the FAA is due to release LAANC on July 23rd.
Maybe something had to go back for a retrofit of sorts?

Any connection?
I dunno.?
Possibly. DJI needs to better align with LAANC

I am 107 certified - no big deal. LAANC is great, but there's a problem. I get authorization from LAANC, DJI won't let me start the motors because of NFZ. DJI needs to match their NFZ to LAANC. Being that it is all co-ordinate based, DJI should be able to update data base and push through to users with updates.

Being that it is all co-ordinate based, DJI should be able to update data base and push through to users with updates.

That's what I was thinking, software, not hardware.

Everyone knows the Spark has received it's share of firmware updates in the past.

The hobby industry is such a fickle game. Consumer drones have had a huge decline in sale in the last two quarters and that is what DJI are concerned about. Return on investment will be poor for this side of the market from now on. It would be likely that a core product like the Phantom will be the only line left in 2 years. Mainly because it has industrial application and the price point can remain high.
GoPro are on a race to bankruptcy and Osmo sport just can't do well. The camera industry has been hit by the iPhone and Samsung phones, so the little niche for aerial or action imagery will get fierce. Spark is good for the price but the hobby drone cameras like the Cadxx Tarsier, are now 4K. This will render Spark over priced, which equals zero profit.
ie Spark 2 will certainly be the end of the line even if Spark 1 isn't already.

The hobby industry is such a fickle game. Consumer drones have had a huge decline in sale in the last two quarters and that is what DJI are concerned about. Return on investment will be poor for this side of the market from now on. It would be likely that a core product like the Phantom will be the only line left in 2 years. Mainly because it has industrial application and the price point can remain high.
GoPro are on a race to bankruptcy and Osmo sport just can't do well. The camera industry has been hit by the iPhone and Samsung phones, so the little niche for aerial or action imagery will get fierce. Spark is good for the price but the hobby drone cameras like the Cadxx Tarsier, are now 4K. This will render Spark over priced, which equals zero profit.
ie Spark 2 will certainly be the end of the line even if Spark 1 isn't already.
Agree. The US market is by far DJI's largest. The US economy is still strong, but drone sales are declining. I think this only by the declining offering of local retail stores.
Do you have the numbers...sales, unit sales for the last two years?
I think drone sales peaked in 2017

• 4K video at 30fps
  • 2x digital zoom

I have one offered in the classifieds at this link

So just a thinly 'disguised' classified posting outside the classified section in a Spark thread?

So just a thinly 'disguised' classified posting outside the classified section in a Spark thread?
No attempt to disguise. Here is the link.

So looking at the alleged specifications, the spark 2 is nothing more than a small DJI mavic air.
Hi from Oz, spoke to a company yesterday who are well connected with DJI and the word is there will be an up specked Spark 2 however the Air was going to be discontinued !!!!!!

I had emailed DJI asking if the out of stock Spark was going to be restocked and the answer was no, EOL. Having said that there are Spark availability from Amazon, Bangood, Newegg, and etc. My question is if I were to purchase a Spark at now end of life how well would DJI support any possible issues and how long into the future?. I have finally saved enough for a Spark and the Air is out of reach for now. I am about to give up, buy a Tello and just go have fun without being constrained with weight, NFZ, LAANC, and any additional FAA regs possibly coming down the pike. Thought I would never say this but Hubsan & Parrott Anafi are looking to be viable optionso_O

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex