Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark and NFZ

Worldpeece

Join
May 27, 2017
Would there be a possible way to block the Gps signal Therefore allowing the spark to fly free anywhere?? Does GEO even apply to the spark?? Thanks

Would there be a possible way to block the Gps signal Therefore allowing the spark to fly free anywhere?? Does GEO even apply to the spark?? Thanks

From what we've seen, Spark has all of the regular DJI Geofencing and NFZs. Not 100% positive at this point in time but pretty sure on that.

Call me that guy but if you're needing to block GPS signal you should not be flying there...

What about the copper strip tape I saw on the MAVIC site working. Meaning, the copper strip tape is applied to the top of the craft blocking the signal of the satellites, I guess. Anyone with more details please enlighten me/ us.

In my case, I live right on the edge of a restricted NFZ due to a local airport. After some of the bad storms we've had I would probably like to fly the drone to inspect my roof and gutters, and maybe the roofs of my neighbors at their request, but even just launching it in my neighborhood would probably be a hassle to get the clearance in the app. When I do launch it I hope the GPS coordinates it picks up will be just outside that exclusion zone....or maybe launch it indoors without GPS and then fly it out the door real quick.

Reactions: JD4x4 and Advexure
In my case, I live right on the edge of a restricted NFZ due to a local airport. After some of the bad storms we've had I would probably like to fly the drone to inspect my roof and gutters, and maybe the roofs of my neighbors at their request, but even just launching it in my neighborhood would probably be a hassle to get the clearance in the app. When I do launch it I hope the GPS coordinates it picks up will be just outside that exclusion zone....or maybe launch it indoors without GPS and then fly it out the door real quick.

100% understandable on that one. I know plenty of guys that have worked with the FlySafe team to get whitelisted for certain areas. I'd recommend submitting the unlock request and I wish you the best of luck. It can take a little while but by the time the Spark is shipping I'd hope you'd have a green light on your request.

@Advexure - yup. You're "that guy", lol :)
For me, like @Dudge Jredd, the blanket NFZ is problematic and in my case just silly. My entire yard is surrounded by old growth trees, some at about 125+' and is within mile 9.5 of the 10 mi radius NFZ around the center of Wash. D.C.

So, even though you're "that guy", many thanks to you and @andrew reeves for the info about possibly getting a reprieve from God so I can practice without deleting "carbon credits" by driving someplace every time. Not to mention that the Spark only has 8 miles of battery range (at best).

I'm in exactly the same scenario, and in addition to general quad flight practice, being able to see my roof and gutters, etc for the exact same reason as you is way up on my product satisfaction list. That and being able to inspect the **** tulip poplar tree branches that bomb my place about every 3 months for no good reason.

Reactions: Dudge Jredd
Well, after looking at DJI's unlock page, I guess I'm screwed & have another reason to shout profanities whilst facing south towards D.C.. "Red Areas are Restricted Zones that cannot be unlocked." and I'm just in the red, and have an additional yellow band I have to drive past. Pure garbage imo when you batch label toys and 767's together under one continuous "no-fly" label. Maybe I better check to see if the kids going airborne playing jump rope is legal around here. Probably not. :mad:

Well, after looking at DJI's unlock page, I guess I'm screwed & have another reason to shout profanities whilst facing south towards D.C.. "Red Areas are Restricted Zones that cannot be unlocked." and I'm just in the red, and have an additional yellow band I have to drive past. Pure garbage imo when you batch label toys and 767's together under one continuous "no-fly" label. Maybe I better check to see if the kids going airborne playing jump rope is legal around here. Probably not. :mad:

Maybe they've got a ban on paper airplanes with those mini propeller setups too.

I'm sorry you're in an absolute NFZ. I just checked my area with heliguy.com to find I'm in an Enhanced Warning Zone which still means no flight by default but gives me in-app override after submitting request. Not sure how long that takes but I guess it's better than dealing with the "No Fly for you!" FlySafe group and submitting forms in triplicate.

That's the way it is in business it seems today. Marketing, marketing, and no promises kept. Soon, our cars will stop automatically when they sense something in front of them, oh, that too has happened. But, I'm sure there's a switch off for it, though, not so for our 1k bricks.

That's the way it is in business it seems today. Marketing, marketing, and no promises kept. Soon, our cars will stop automatically when they sense something in front of them, oh, that too has happened. But, I'm sure there's a switch off for it, though, not so for our 1k bricks.

Just wait until this type of geo-fencing is put in cars. Extra paperwork to turn car on when in a 'not your home' zone or have it suddenly stall when gps drift puts you in a 'no drive' zone.

Reactions: andrew reeves
Maybe using a third partie app like litchi (if it become compatible with the spark) will solve the problem...
That's exactly what I'm hoping for! And according to their Facebook page (Litchi's) it will be supported.

When you step back a bit, it just seems silly really that while my backyard is within the red NFZ, I have enough room under the tree canopy to fly up to about 100' in some places, while it would be impossible for a "real" aircraft to take off, land, or fly there. So, who's airspace is it? If it isn't mine then someone needs to tell me how to collect for damages from the objects (branches) falling through their airspace and damaging my ground space. o_O :p

Last edited:
Reactions: andrew reeves
Ya gotta love Google & Wikipedia.
"The exact altitude(s) at which the airspace over private land becomes "public" airspace, or where the upward bounds of national sovereignty extends is often debated, but the Supreme Court rulings and space treaties are clear. A Landowner's domain extends up to at least 365 feet above the ground. see Causby v US (1946),[7] and no nation can prevent orbits above the earths atmosphere.

The FAA is required to pay financial compensation to Property Owners when their property interests are taken for overflights. Compensated landowners may then be required to waive any putative damages for interference with "air rights" in order to avoid lawsuits from future owners nuisance claims against low flying aircraft. This is called a navigation or avigational easement.

The low cost of unmanned aerial vehicles (also called drones) in the 2000s re-raised legal questions regarding whose permission is required to fly at low altitudes, the landowner, the FAA or both.[8] Although the FAA reestablished that navigable airspace is the space above 500 feet,[9] the FAA also set regulations which "allow" drones to fly below 400 feet in order to prevent interference with planes above that height.[10] The FAA's actions are expected to see challenges in the judiciary.

Yeah, not only is Spark a game-changer (imo) because it's really a camera that flys first, and a quad (or drone) second, more everyday people will be asking for answers to questions like this, and testing other boundaries. That is always a good and bad thing both at the same time. Either way, it's going to be interesting to watch as it all unfolds.

Reactions: Dudge Jredd
That's exactly what I'm hoping for! And according to their Facebook page (Litchi's) it will be supported.

When you step back a bit, it just seems silly really that while my backyard is within the red NFZ, I have enough room under the tree canopy to fly up to about 100' in some places, while it would be impossible for a "real" aircraft to take off, land, or fly there. So, who's airspace is it? If it isn't mine then someone needs to tell me how to collect for damages from the objects (branches) falling through their airspace and damaging my ground space. o_O :p
I feel for ya, brother.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme