Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Battery fell out drone is lost!

First post to the sight.

I have 14 flights on my Spark with no issues. Took the drone out to the country today to fly while daughter was at a 4 hour softball practice. I launched the drone in beginner mode and went out about 100 feet and 25 up. As I was turning the drone the battery fell off. I saw it come down to the ground and spent an hour searching the field, but I was unable to locate the drone, grass was about 4 feet tall.
Used the app and last known locations but for the life of me I was not able to locate it. I am not a frequent flyer and I would say much a beginner and I am extremely cautious when flying the Spark . I have never had any issues until today and viewing the forum this seems to be an issue I was unaware of. I bought the Spark in November 2017 with the DJI Care, not sure what to do at this point. Pretty frustrstung to spend $700 only to have it lost from an issue with DJI Spark batteries. Extremely disappointed in DJI, I see now there is an aftermarket accessory to hold the battery in place, but if this was an issue perhaps DJI should have included this is their Fly More Combo.

Sorry about the rant, but big failure for DJI![/QUOTE

I have to say that DJI Support is an absolute disappointment. The email which I received this evening states that DJI will give me 30% off the purchase of a new spark. What a joke DJI! It is nice to see that a company such as this will not stand behind their product and the resolution from Customer Support is 30% off of a new drone! I guess it is time to start emailing #Mario Rebello #Brian Lee, #Michael Oldenburg, #Nina Zou, #Adam Lisberg

DJI could not verify what happened afterward. They can verify that the battery had power, GPS signal, takeoff point, then the record ended! No kidding it ended the battery fell out of the drone that is what happened afterward DJI!

sorry to hear about your fall from the sky . in the future this is a little trick that i have learned from watching some of my fellow flyers at RC flying events . when ever a plane goes down , look at where your last sighting was . place your RC transmitter in line with the spot of the crash , if you have a compass take a barring if not mark and look for a reference point . i have seen people search for drones and RC planes only to get lost in the high cattails and in the woods and then phone for help , not a joke it's happen more than once .

I appreciate the feedback! I searched in the direction it went down. I also used the phone and from the last point of origin I searched everywhere. No luck though! Just extremely frustrated with DJI and their customer support.

In fact, they don't make a discount, because they offer you only the drone, without controller and other accessories.

In fact, they don't make a discount, because they offer you only the drone, without controller and other accessories.

I still have the remote and 3 additional batteries. I always check to make sure the battery is in place prior to flying. I researched the spark a great deal before I purchased it from DJI and as you can tell from my posts I am not a frequent member to the sight, I wanted to participate in a new hobby. The work that a lot of members show on this sight is amazing. I purchased multiple accessories for the drone and did research those items as well. It did not seem that DJI was having issues with the batteries at the time. I just find a discount of 30% when the battery ejected and DJI informing they cannot tell what happened is unacceptable.

Buy another Spark. Use that one to find the lost one. Return the Spark u just bought lol
I like that idea! Dealing with DJI has been the most disappinting customer service experience I have ever had. Talk about a lack of customer service. They will repair our products, but will not do anything except offer excuses if it is an issue that has been reported and brings your drone down.

Agree, sounds like you have it narrowed down to a relatively small geographic area to search. I'd round up some friends and start walking the field in a grid.

Yes, get the rubber o ring or battery strap!

Side comment, never understood why some drone owners put camouflage skins on em. I want mine bright and visible!!!
Yes no camo on mine, it was Lava Red. I enjoyed flying the drone it was a lot of fun! I do not think I am going to purchase another DJI product. The customer service I have experienced has been awful! Since a company is not able to stand by their product I am not going to support them. Perhaps is a recall is issued for the batteries then they will honor their warranty. Which states free from defects! Not to stir up a hornets nest, Spark owners should not have to purchase from a 3rd party vendor an item to hold the battery on the drone.

First off, sorry to hear this. I can’t imagine how angry I’d be if this happened. However, this is an issue that I’ve read about from time to time. That said, if/when you get your next Spark, invest in one of the $6 clips that attaches to the rear of the aircraft. These clips make it impossible for the battery to come loose. You can find them all over Amazon or EBay for less than $10. I’ve included a sample pic below. I fly with mine every single time I take out the Spark.
5C77DA8A-C317-4235-85FE-C8F11644BF4F.jpeg

Reactions: NRRTRAINS
First post to the sight.

I have 14 flights on my Spark with no issues. Took the drone out to the country today to fly while daughter was at a 4 hour softball practice. I launched the drone in beginner mode and went out about 100 feet and 25 up. As I was turning the drone the battery fell off. I saw it come down to the ground and spent an hour searching the field, but I was unable to locate the drone, grass was about 4 feet tall.
Used the app and last known locations but for the life of me I was not able to locate it. I am not a frequent flyer and I would say much a beginner and I am extremely cautious when flying the Spark . I have never had any issues until today and viewing the forum this seems to be an issue I was unaware of. I bought the Spark in November 2017 with the DJI Care, not sure what to do at this point. Pretty frustrstung to spend $700 only to have it lost from an issue with DJI Spark batteries. Extremely disappointed in DJI, I see now there is an aftermarket accessory to hold the battery in place, but if this was an issue perhaps DJI should have included this is their Fly More Combo.

Sorry about the rant, but big failure for DJI!

First post to the sight.

OMG so sorry to hear. I posted a report about 3 weeks ago about losing my Spark due to a battery separation in flight at 50mtrs. It fell into thick mud and was lost but my Spark slopped down into the mud with a splat and I was able to rescue it-cleaned up after 5 hrs hard but delicate work it is in the air again. Won’t go into any more details as it’s in the post but I have now bought a battery clip as has been recommended to you. BUT why have DJI not sorted this issue? Pretty poor.

It happens to me too. Fortunately 2 seconds after lift off. Good for me because I was on my boat. It could have felt in the water.

But it was i that did not clip the battery correctly.
Can you believe that this is now on my checklist?

First post to the sight.

Thought I would provide an update on my case with DJI. I have been working with Customer Support and they have been absolutely no help. This has been the worst customer experience I have ever had to deal with. DJI has informed me they cannot figure out what happened since the flight data stopped. I was first offered a 30% discount to purchase a new Spark and then a 50% discount. The battery ejected from my drone and the drone crashed. Since I am unable to provide video or additional flight records they will not honor the warranty. i enjoyed my Sparkmas i am sure each of you, but DJI is just another foreign owned company that does not care or wish to take care of their customer. Shame on DJI!

sorry to hear about your fall from the sky . in the future this is a little trick that i have learned from watching some of my fellow flyers at RC flying events . when ever a plane goes down , look at where your last sighting was . place your RC transmitter in line with the spot of the crash , if you have a compass take a barring if not mark and look for a reference point . i have seen people search for drones and RC planes only to get lost in the high cattails and in the woods and then phone for help , not a joke it's happen more than once .

That’s great advice! I had a crash into the top of a building and the battery popped off during impact and I searched frantically until way after dark with no luck. I did find it the next day though, with a broken arm.

Positioning the controller in the last seen direction would have saved me time for sure!

I had the same thing happen but mine was over a lake, I did not have DJI care, I contacted DJI and sent them my flight logs in about three days they emailed back and replaced my lost drone, I also Carry insurance on the through State Farm, for 5 drones and all equipment it was $86 dollars a year, have had one claim and the replaced the drone no questions asked,

I didn’t know that you could insure a drone through State Farm! I will contact my agent tomorrow. That’s a great option for anyone who opted out of DJI Care, like myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast