Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark controller disconnects and turns off during flight. *Video Added*

Mav2u

Join
Dec 13, 2017
Just got the spark. I did the updates it requested per the DJI Go app for the iPhone 7 I have before any flights.

I flew the the Spark in my living room the night before. I have a big living room an no problems for the few minutes I flew it using the remote and phone.

I took it out to my Dad's the next day as he has a large open property. I connected the phone to RC and RC to Spark an no problems. I took off and it wasn't but maybe 30 seconds and all flight controls went away. I was using fly by site to get practice in. Looked at remote and it was TURNED OFF. I didn't turn it off, so now it was disconnected from my Spark. I tried turning it back on to see I if I could reconnect to Spark. It took about three attempts. It would turn on, then turn off after a bit, I turn it back on, and on the third try it connected and I got control of Spark and landed in the yard.

I turned the controller and Spark off and on to reset them with a power cycle, but now the phone was having a weird time connected to RC. I clicked on the wifi Spark an it said password wrong so I retyped and said failed or wrong password or something. I tried one or twice more an finally connected. Looked at the phone, checked all settings an they were good. Tried to launch the Spark again but as I walked over to put it on the ground the phone lost connection. Reconnected phone, and it was good. Took off and a minute or two into flight the RC disconnected again.. This time the Spark was a few feet off the ground so I just grabbed it out of the sky.

So I waited an let everything cool off. I spent some time restarting my iPhone. Turning off everything but wifi this time. Making sure it wasn't my phone or something. Put new battery in. Everything connected and worked as it should first time. I took it up, flew it around for about ten minutes. But then, no response from controller, looked down, it was off and the iPhone obviously showed disconnected in the app. The Spark started RTH feature, while I was turning the RC back on an waiting for it to hopefully reconnect. About a minute later it finally connected to the Spark as it was defending to RTH spot and I got control. Landed it, and haven't flown it since.

I haven't really found a mention of the RC turning off in any threads. Why would the RC just turn off? It was fully charged. I was flying it using the RC and it just stop responding, I'd look down and it would be off.

I did read bluetooth interferes and I have a bluetooth apple watch on my wrist. My dad has wifi at his house, but I was out in the front yard of a 5 acre house surrounded by woods around the property line. So not much for other interference. Even if that was the case, why would the RC just turn off power? Is my RC messed up maybe?

Video of it turning off during a flight.
Dropbox - File Dec 27, 4 51 30 PM.mov

Photo of current firmwares.
Spark_FIrmware.jpg
Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I've added a video using my dropbox. I have no Youtube account to use. If there is a better way let me know.
I flew it indoors last night and let the Spark hover off the ground with just the remote connected to the Spark. No phone being used. And sure enough, it did what it does in the video. It also is a pain to get it to turn back on. I'm wondering if the remote is bad? I'll press the on button after turning it off and it'll do nothing for up to 20 seconds. Sometimes when I tap on the remote it'll help, others it'll just start working. Or it'll turn on and then 3 seconds after it'll turn back off again. I have more video, but I figure this is pretty good evidence of something going on. Only have like 10 flights on this Spark, 75% are in my living room trying to figure out what the hell is going on. Not happy with the drone so far! Afraid too even take it outside. It's only 3 days old now. This sucks!

I've submitted to DJI but heard nothing as of today. Submitted request yesterday afternoon. Not sure how long it takes them to reply.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast