Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Discontinued?...So when will updates/firmware stop being updated too?

ArmyofMike

Join
Sep 6, 2019
Serious question based on the discussions here. With the Spark, appearing to be discontinued (and now the FAA slip of the Mavic Mini) does anyone estimate when the Spark may lose it's software/firmware updating? I ask genuinely as I just got a used (mid 2018 model) Spark and am loving it. It always irks me when products are discontinued and then months (sometimes years) later, the product updates are gone or obsolete. I planned to keep my Spark for as long as possible as it serves my aerial photography needs well.

Thanks
Mike

Serious question based on the discussions here. With the Spark, appearing to be discontinued (and now the FAA slip of the Mavic Mini) does anyone estimate when the Spark may lose it's software/firmware updating? I ask genuinely as I just got a used (mid 2018 model) Spark and am loving it. It always irks me when products are discontinued and then months (sometimes years) later, the product updates are gone or obsolete. I planned to keep my Spark for as long as possible as it serves my aerial photography needs well.

Thanks
Mike
Mike,
I wouldn't be overly concerned. Eventually the updates will stop, but it won't stop your Spark...it will just keep flying with the whatever the last update was.

Reactions: ArmyofMike
Mike,
I wouldn't be overly concerned. Eventually the updates will stop, but it won't stop your Spark...it will just keep flying with the whatever the last update was.
I hope so, but a lot will depend on the requirements to update geofencing more than flight control. I'm sure DJI has discussed this internally, but support for legacy products ends sooner or later. I'm hoping for later since I just got my Spark mid-August of this year.

Reactions: Rolfy Dave
I'm curious if the FAA & TC will amend the regs to include the mavic mini's weight category! Because of course the under 1lb means no registration or license required.

I'm curious if the FAA & TC will amend the regs to include the mavic mini's weight category! Because of course the under 1lb means no registration or license required.
I've read speculation on things from the Mavic Mini's flying weight to it's range to its release date, but nothing you can hang your hat on. Spark flies at 300 grams (0.66 lbs), the FAA says registration is not required if under 250 grams (0.55 lbs). I read one blog today saying that, if you're under 250 grams, not only do you not have register, but you can fly in restricted airspace. One pound is 454 grams, so it's doubtful the FAA and TC will raise the weight limit.

Generally retired products should be supported for at least 5 years, not sure if that a requirement of some sort or not.. However there will come a time when you'll need something new, hard to know if future version of "Go" will support older products or work properly with new versions of the IOS or Android without updates.

As far as the Mavic Mini, until it's actually announced its vaporware. A low cost quality drone that replaces the Spark, would be great, but until its out there and you can buy one, you stick with your Spark, or look at the others out there, or ponder A Mavic Air or one of the other Mavic models..

I've read speculation on things from the Mavic Mini's flying weight to it's range to its release date, but nothing you can hang your hat on. Spark flies at 300 grams (0.66 lbs), the FAA says registration is not required if under 250 grams (0.55 lbs). I read one blog today saying that, if you're under 250 grams, not only do you not have register, but you can fly in restricted airspace. One pound is 454 grams, so it's doubtful the FAA and TC will raise the weight limit.
Spectre, I meant 1/2lb, my bad. Was trying to relate to USA to include them.

I wouldn't lose any sleep waiting for updates, as far as I'm concerned the well liked spark is fully developed. The less dji stuff around with the go4 app the better. Go4 is well and truly bloated with support for too many different craft

If the MM comes in under 250g it should be a hot seller and it's number one draw. Up here in Canada (afaik) there is only one reg in the CARs that applies to sub250 and that is; "900.06 - No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person." Open ended wording but if one is using common sense a lot less regs to deal with for sure.

I hope so, but a lot will depend on the requirements to update geofencing more than flight control. I'm sure DJI has discussed this internally, but support for legacy products ends sooner or later. I'm hoping for later since I just got my Spark mid-August of this year.
So don't accept any geo updates

Don't worry, the US FAA will ban all drones long before the Spark becomes obsolete.

if the mini is under the weight they dont have to amend anything or do anything they cant... and i doubt it will be under the weight... its very hard to get that weight when you want all the features dji drones have.. unless they dropped a lipo cell ie i just saw specs 8 volts.. my god thats only a 2 cell 11.1 is nominal for any mini drone to go fast etc.. so the capacity better by 15 minutes flying time say 3000 mah battery and not no 1000 mah cell... and be 500 bucks im not paying 900 bucks for a tiny *** drone ill wait till someone sells theirs for 500 before ill buy

Hi all, just curious, if the firmware is being discontinued will this effect the DJI insurance also?

If the MM comes in under 250g it should be a hot seller and it's number one draw. Up here in Canada (afaik) there is only one reg in the CARs that applies to sub250 and that is; "900.06 - No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person." Open ended wording but if one is using common sense a lot less regs to deal with for sure.

Sadly this will be ignored because of misinformed consumers. Its going to produce negative media, I am certain of it.

Hi all, just curious, if the firmware is being discontinued will this effect the DJI insurance also?

I would expect they are contractually bound to offer this until it expires, but not obligated to renew it once expired. That said, its China.. North America is unpopular with some over there currently!

I would expect they are contractually bound to offer this until it expires, but not obligated to renew it once expired. That said, its China.. North America is unpopular with some over there currently!
China may not be happy with the US at the moment, but the Spark is probably sold too many customers outside of the US. I would seem unlikely that any subsequent update would ignore the US.

Guess time will tell if there are actually anymore software updates of any kind for the Spark down the road. It flies well as it is, not sure if any subsequent change would alter how it performs significantly if there was one

I guess another question is how long the DJI Go 4 App will be supported for the Spark?.....
Usually support should be at least 5 years after its retired. However who knows for sure. '

The worst case is that you'll ignore further updates if they don't work properly, and you'd have a dedicated device that its installed on that you don't update that works fine until you decide to retire your Spark for the current drone tech at the time,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme