Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark landing pad

Make sure your pad is aluminum and not steel otherwise the Spark will have magnetic interference with it's compass.

I had the bright idea to try using the roof of my car as a launch site, and it didn't go so well.

How is it that people are able to fly so close to large steel bridges and such? I have heard people say they have had issues but not as often as I'd think.

Got bored at work and made spark a landing pad..... It's a little of over kill but I work in a steel fabrication plant

This is definitely not going to work. You can never take off from that thing.

How is it that people are able to fly so close to large steel bridges and such?

I tried taking off from a steel footbridge the other day and I was constantly getting compass errors making it impossible. Used palm launch and everything went smooth. I even flew back and landed on the bridge itself.

If I understand correctly the magnetic interference is more often caused by calibrating near metal not flying near it. Although you do get a magnetic interference when landing on metal. Once you move away you are okay. If you calibrate near it you get compass errors randomly during flight.

Got bored at work and made spark a landing pad..... It's a little of over kill but I work in a steel fabrication plant
i made this pad years ago for a larger drone from an interlocking rubber mat . placed a compass on it and painted an arrow to face north . the one thing i would remind every one is when making a landing pad make sure it's not too light , because when landing the prop wash will lift the landing pad and then the pad will hit your spark most likely damage your props . the spark dose not have as much down force as a larger drone .
fly safe and land safe

Attachments

• ARROW MAT.JPG
    ARROW MAT.JPG
    495.1 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: tmarez and SPARK1
Was trying to figure out why I was getting compass errors every time I tried to launch from my driveway then I realized... concrete driveway >>>> Rebar.
Everything is fine if I launch from my wooden "landing pad" on my front lawn just a few feet away.

Spark 317, I really like what you've done for your landing pad!

David

Reactions: Spark 317
If I understand correctly the magnetic interference is more often caused by calibrating near metal not flying near it. Although you do get a magnetic interference when landing on metal. Once you move away you are okay. If you calibrate near it you get compass errors randomly during flight.

I have had issues when walking near metal buildings whilst flying with the controller... Best avoid metal at both ends!

I was out at a developing neighborhood and when I put down my drone on the street, it would not get GPS and wanted the compass recalibrated. Moving down the road about 20 feet put all the settings back to normal. I then noticed gas line flags near where I was and assumed possible underground gas and electrical lines under that part of the road.

I got out my store bought orange landing zone and launched from there with the GPS confirming it updated the spot. Flew around for a while and went for a GPS return and it only got within 10 feet of the landing pad but never actually got over it. Perhaps more practice is in order.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast