Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark lands in the lake!

Well, I haven't seen that in a video before! Very fun. The camera must sit mm above the water?

Reactions: Surfnut
Brilliant but I would suggest the poly balls should be a bit lower just in case a little roughness comes in. I use his sort of rig regularly when out sailing. A nice video thanks.

I think I have the same poly balls... I fly over water, but have never used them. How is general flying with them on?

I think I have the same poly balls... I fly over water, but have never used them. How is general flying with them on?

These are 2" styrofoam balls. A little on the small side for flying dynamics but still get the job done. Wind will affect flight, but less than if you use 2.5" or 3" balls.

Wow that's brilliant! I thought I was going to see a sad story of a drowning spark... hooray for your water wing feet! How did you make them? Still very brave though... I would have been worried about waves splashing it!

Wow that's brilliant! I thought I was going to see a sad story of a drowning spark... hooray for your water wing feet! How did you make them? Still very brave though... I would have been worried about waves splashing it!

Very simple - used cheap $7 landing skids from Amazon, then two long thin sticks and 2" foam balls from craft store, and small zip ties to secure to the gear. You can use bigger foam balls 2.5 or 3" balls, but wind will affect its flight more significantly the bigger the balls. I only use these to play around landing in water not for regular flying far. End of video shows you close up of the gear. It's fun- just be sure to land in lake or close to shore. Reason being if engines fail to start back up, your Spark could just float away and out if sight. I speak from personal experiance on that one unfortunately...

Brilliant but I would suggest the poly balls should be a bit lower just in case a little roughness comes in. I use his sort of rig regularly when out sailing. A nice video thanks.
I would just increase the balls from 2" to 2.5" or even 3" - then they could be used in very choppy water. For my purpose in a lake for fun the 2" suffice and is very stable. They won't tip the craft, but a big enough wave could get to the camera. Wind was starting to pick up when I filmed and water is starting to get little choppy.

Very simple - used cheap $7 landing skids from Amazon, then two long thin sticks and 2" foam balls from craft store, and small zip ties to secure to the gear. You can use bigger foam balls 2.5 or 3" balls, but wind will affect its flight more significantly the bigger the balls. I only use these to play around landing in water not for regular flying far. End of video shows you close up of the gear. It's fun- just be sure to land in lake or close to shore. Reason being if engines fail to start back up, your Spark could just float away and out if sight. I speak from personal experiance on that one unfortunately...

CORRECTION - just double checked - the styrofoam ball size used in the video and they are 2.4" balls (NOT 2"). That is the smallest size that will keep the Spark afloat - any smaller and the camera would get wet. Sorry for the error in original description. I have used 2.9" as well and will float higher, but will be more susceptible to wind during flight and less stable in the air.

I have read quite a few stories of people losing their drones in the drink so I think your video was very useful for people who plan to do any over water flying.
An extra precaution never hurts!

And heck, if nothing else, if it were to flip over, it would still be floating. Too tippy for my liking!!!! Great vid though!!!

Reactions: Spark 317
And heck, if nothing else, if it were to flip over, it would still be floating. Too tippy for my liking!!!! Great vid though!!!

At least you can retrieve it to honor the DJI Care Refresh, if available.

Here's another option for drone retrieval, but I'm not sure where it would mount on the Spark since there's not a lot of available space without interference to GPS and VPS.

Honestly not top heavy at all in the water - very stable. Also not taking in the ocean with breaking waves. In calmish waters perfectly stable and no water reaches the camera. I only use to play around and do take off and landings not every time I fly over water and only in lakes or pools.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis