Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark NFZ mods?

Rmwac

Join
Dec 11, 2018
Had my first NFZ snafu today. I was at the very edge of an airport advisory zone (yellow, not red)....some 8 miles from the Class D airport... this was an approach corridor, well out of the 5 mile red zone. The Djigo4 software would not allow the Spark to take off. I tried Litchi... same thing. I'm aware of how to do a self- unlock, using the DJI Geo site, but there has to be a better way.... especially when you consider that DJI will only accept unlocking requests from a PC... NOT from a mobile device. So, today, out in the field, I was SOL. This is total BS. I'm all for safety, but this stuff borders on invasion of privacy. There is a NFZ mod out there for the Mavic Pro using Asst2 for changing 2 code values, but I'm wondering about the Spark. There is an outfit called NoLimitDrones.com that for $35/drone, that will disable this, and other pesky DJI inflicted limitations. I do not ever intend to violate the law, but I found this lockdown today to be totally silly. What I intended to shoot was below 200'.....

I live just 3 miles from Sea-Tac airport, one of the busiest in the US, so I get a warning but it's easily overridden. I just tap on the small circle to the right of the message several times until the "yes" acknowledgement illuminates, tap on "yes" and I'm in business. I've never really thought of it as an invasion of privacy.

I could not get the result you did, by repeatedly tapping, as you said. As the procedure is published, you first go to the DJI Geo Map site, see IF the area you wish to fly in can be self-unlocked. Then you make the request, verify with either a credit card or valid cell phone number, and you'll receive a verification code via cell phone. Input that number into the box on the website, and then your NFZ is unlocked. You will see your 72 hour "license" to fly the NFZ in your DJIGo4 menu. It seems that DJI eliminated the ability to do the procedure in the field, with a
mobile device (smart phone.) It needs to be done by PC. I will need to bring the laptop, and create a WiFi hotspot with my phone. Quite the PIA to fly in the middle of nowhere PA..... If it even works.

I am currently using the NLD Mod, and couldn't be happier. Best $35 I've ever spent..
I can fly my spark anywhere now...

Did you have to roll back firmware to .0900??
The company claims the NFZ feature works with the most current ver .1000, but I could not get the program to write. Later found out I wasn't the only one having no luck with ver .1000. When I rolled back to .0900, the Spark went crazy, not responding to stick commands, etc. I opened a "support ticket" with the company, and was told that any firmware flashes should be done TWICE, as incomplete flashing seems to be a problem.... I reverted to ver .1000, and am presently very leery about NLD.... certainly not going to risk my Mavic for this. I the matter of their NLDGo app....(which has a bunch of cool features.... if it works properly) I had nothing but trouble. Turns out that there is a LOT of fine print relative to the use of OTG cables with various firmware versions. Turns out you have to roll back to ver .0300 to use an OTG cable with their NLDGo app. Guys, you risk bricking your bird if you get to manipulating firmware with the incomplete flashes that apparently plagues the DJI flashing system. The company told me the DJI firmware flash design is "crap," and that all flashes should be done TWICE to make sure it is free of errors. Be careful.

Yes I did have to go back to .0900 firmware..but it was an easy process for me. I only had to do it once and it worked.
The only thing not working is with OTG cable. I lose all battery and GPS info when plugged in.
I'm waiting for a response from NLD on this..

yep... I had the same issue. No battery display. You will have to roll back to ver .0300 to be able use the OTG cable. Who knows how many flashes need to be done to get there. The company told me to roll back version at a time, and to do each flash twice. Also.... I wonder what aircraft functionality is lost by rolling back to more primative firmware versions? I'm conflicted on the whole NLZ thing. I wish I had been aware of some of this 'fine print' before plunging into NLZ.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers