Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Prop Guards interfere with Flight?

CooperTowle

Join
Mar 15, 2019
Hi, just purchased my used Spark & purchased OEM Guards, I have noticed sometimes that my forward flight is altered limiting movement, anyone else with this problem? I'm careful to match up the white dots.
TIA for any constructive comments
Coop

Hi, just purchased my used Spark & purchased OEM Guards, I have noticed sometimes that my forward flight is altered limiting movement, anyone else with this problem? I'm careful to match up the white dots.
TIA for any constructive comments
Coop

I've never noticed that and I wouldn't worry about it. Most new Spark owners (including myself) start out with prop guards but ditch them after just a few flights.

Once you get your confidence up they are only needed when flying in especially close quarters or indoors.

Reactions: Stanlee
I've had that happen also. I've noticed that sometimes they are hard to clip on and I think I probably had one on a little crooked. I only have used them a couple of times in the house in gesture mode. When it happened I took it outside and it was very windy. I was surprised how much greater effect the wind had on the Spark with them on.

I've had that happen also. I've noticed that sometimes they are hard to clip on and I think I probably had one on a little crooked. I only have used them a couple of times in the house in gesture mode. When it happened I took it outside and it was very windy. I was surprised how much greater effect the wind had on the Spark with them on.

That's a good point you made.

Spark is much less aerodynamic with the prop guards on -- so the wind pushes it around more.

The prop guards added weight and greater wind drag reduces battery time modestly as well.

I've never noticed that and I wouldn't worry about it. Most new Spark owners (including myself) start out with prop guards but ditch them after just a few flights.

Once you get your confidence up they are only needed when flying in especially close quarters or indoors.

I still keep mine on. They saved my Spark from a crash when I accidentally hit a power line while descending. The line was too thin for the obstacle detection system to detect it. The Spark hit the line, bounced a bit, recovered nicely and made a safe landing. Without the guards, one or more of the spinning props would have hit the line and the resulting damage would have downed the Spark. I'm a confident flyer but I don't mind having extra protection for those once-in-awhile incidents. Besides, when flying VLOS, the bigger profile Spark makes it easier to see it aloft.

Reactions: Spark 317
They saved my Spark from a crash when I accidentally hit a power line

This is a staged photo I made but is something to think about.

August 17, 2018 101437 AM EDT.png

I too fly with the guards.

Protection from birds, branches, or an impact into something. Plus the added visibility against the sky and I have place to attach my stobes.

I still keep mine on. They saved my Spark from a crash when I accidentally hit a power line while descending.

Good points. I just avoid flying anywhere near power lines and stay in VLOS - so props just a handicap for every day use. I still use them in close quarters or indoors.

There are pros and cons to each method. Whatever works best the situation. Whatever makes you feel more secure.

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar