Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Range throttled in UK/Europe

Holding a UK radio ametur licence, would be nice to have the ability to unlock the extra channels and power levels as I am hard pushed to get reliable 100 meters, let alone max Los.

My max range for the DJI Spark is 1090 meters. I did this with the remote (obviously), at 2.4gHz in a rural part of Norway (Europe):
dji spark max range.png

Is the FCC or EU mode hardcoded into the drone, depending on where you bought it? Or it is determined by the software each time you flight based on GPS location?

I've had 500m no problem using ipad mini with no otg.
Android is a different story, can only get 100m without otg before starting to lose the signal. Can get to 500m with otg but video is laggy and weak signal.

I've had 500m no problem using ipad mini with no otg.
Android is a different story, can only get 100m without otg before starting to lose the signal. Can get to 500m with otg but video is laggy and weak signal.
I assume you're not using the Spark Remote, just your tablet/phone? Because if you're using the remote, the distance between you and the quad is determined by the remote. What kind of device you are using to connect to the RC is irrelevant.

I assume you're not using the Spark Remote, just your tablet/phone? Because if you're using the remote, the distance between you and the quad is determined by the remote. What kind of device you are using to connect to the RC is irrelevant.

I'm using the RC. Range is limited to 100m without it.
The type of device is relevant. Many people are reporting issues with android devices whereas ios devices are mostly working perfectly without any otg cable or signal boosters.

I'm using the RC. Range is limited to 100m without it.
The type of device is relevant. Many people are reporting issues with android devices whereas ios devices are mostly working perfectly without any otg cable or signal boosters.
Huh?? Is there something I'm missing? How the heck can this affect the range between the remote and the quad?
The remote works as a router, and both the phone and the quad are connected to it, right? What kind of OS the phone/tablet has cannot affect performance between the remote and the quad.

Huh?? Is there something I'm missing? How the heck can this affect the range between the remote and the quad?
The remote works as a router, and both the phone and the quad are connected to it, right? What kind of OS the phone/tablet has cannot affect performance between the remote and the quad.

You're right, the RC is connected to the drone so the potential range is the same, it's the connection between mobile device and RC I'm referring to.
People are seeing loss of video signal, disconnections and lag with Android, far less so with ios.
Android users are reporting better performance with an otg cable (I've experienced this myself) but ios appears to be far more reliable, even without an otg cable.
There are dozens of threads on this subject on this forum and here ... DJI SPARK forum

Ah I see! Sorry!
I'm using IOS and my biggest problem is that the remote doesn't always appear in the available networks screen, so I must restart the remote sometimes in order to find it.

No worries. ;)
With my ipad mini, I tend to wait for the remote to link to the Spark (green light on RC) before connecting the ipad.
More often than not, the ipad has connected to the RC by itself by then anyway.

But I still don't understand this..
If the connection between the quad and the remote is fine from 0-500 meters, why should you all of a sudden lose connection between your phone and remote when the quad exceeds 100m?? Your phone is still 0.0003m away from your remote.

Will the new privacy mode that DJI are going to release enable max range in the EU?

But I still don't understand this..
If the connection between the quad and the remote is fine from 0-500 meters, why should you all of a sudden lose connection between your phone and remote when the quad exceeds 100m?? Your phone is still 0.0003m away from your remote.

It's a tricky one to get your head round, I don't quite follow it 100% either.
Apparently, it's more to with the Dji Go app.
The ios version has been better optimised. Easier for Dji to do as there are far less hardware combinations with ios than with Android.
Think of all the different makes and models of Android phones and tablets. Very difficult to get the app working perfectly with all of those.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav