Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Security

Ajax_Spark

Join
May 23, 2019
My Spark has been barking at me to change the weak wi-fi password since I bought it. Ok, fine.

Which wi-fi password is more important to change- The controller, the drone itself or both?
Is there an "order of operations" when updating the wifi passwords of both devices? (Spark first, then controller or vice versa?)

When I attempted to update passwords I mad a mess of everything and nothing could connect. I ended up resetting to defaults to regain connectivity between everything.
I found an older thread that states that you need the OTG cable to change the controller password. This no longer seems true as I can change it within the app on my phone. Correct?

I'm using a Samsung S9+ with the controller. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Good question, I don't have an answer, but am tuned in to see comments. Over the winter I was taking some video near a ski tubing resort, getting great shots, had strong signal about 1500ft our, then outta no where Sparky went batpoop crazy and I lost all control for what felt like ever, but probably only a minute. I did get her back and promptly stopped all flight that day.

To your point, I was doing shots of the tubing hill and was hovering not far from the line area for the ski lift on what was a busy Saturday. I'm convinced my bird was hacked by someone else in line with the DJI go app on their smart phone.

Strange but I can't see how anyone could have connected to your Spark if your RC was already connected. A disconnect would have triggered an RTH too so someone would have had to jump on the connection quickly AND know your WiFi password ;-)

I was doing shots of the tubing hill and was hovering not far from the line area for the ski lift on what was a busy Saturday. I'm convinced my bird was hacked by someone else in line with the DJI go app on their smart phone.

I would assume that there was probably a lot of Bluetooth activity in the area with people skiing with headphones and if they are standing in line, it could be a source of interference.

I have flown next to a trail before via WiFi and it seems like when somebody jogs by, I get a temporary Bluetooth warning and I guess it may be from headphones, smart watches, or health trackers.

I recently purchased some good OTG cables and see if this helps to eliminate some of the Bluetooth traffic when I fly.

I would assume that there was probably a lot of Bluetooth activity in the area with people skiing with headphones and if they are standing in line, it could be a source of interference.

I have flown next to a trail before via WiFi and it seems like when somebody jogs by, I get a temporary Bluetooth warning and I guess it may be from headphones, smart watches, or health trackers.

I recently purchased some good OTG cables and see if this helps to eliminate some of the Bluetooth traffic when I fly.
DJI does not use Bluetooth for any connectivity on it's drones. It's all WiFi. Bluetooth will not interfere with WiFi, but if you are near a lot of other WiFi sources, they can and will interfere. They don't need to connect to you, just having channels congested with 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz can cause you problems.
The only DJI product that uses Bluetooth is the DJI iPad Ground Station.

DJI does not use Bluetooth for any connectivity on it's drones. It's all WiFi. Bluetooth will not interfere with WiFi, but if you are near a lot of other WiFi sources, they can and will interfere. They don't need to connect to you, just having channels congested with 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz can cause you problems.
The only DJI product that uses Bluetooth is the DJI iPad Ground Station.

Bluetooth radio frequencies WILL interfere with the operation of the Spark, even though the Spark itself does not use Bluetooth.

Especially when flying without an OTG cable as the WiFi connection between the device and the RC is more vulnerable to a disruption.

There have been numerous posts about that.

Yeah but BT will interfere at very close range, so typically when you're connecting your phone to the RC over WiFi, and some phones are better shielded than others. It's unlikely the Bluetooth of phones in a ski queue could interfere with the WiFi connection between the Spark and the RC (especially since it's over 5.8Ghz by default).

Bluetooth radio frequencies WILL interfere with the operation of the Spark, even though the Spark itself does not use Bluetooth.

Especially when flying without an OTG cable as the WiFi connection between the device and the RC is more vulnerable to a disruption.

There have been numerous posts about that.
I"d like to see your RF analysis that shows Bluetooth WILL interfere with a WiFi connection. Unless a complete moron designed the WiFi receiver in the spark (and that's unlikely but possible) AND you are OPERATING IN A CROWDED WiFi area AND you are operating AT 2.4Ghz (vs. 5Ghz), it's virtually impossible for Bluetooth which is very low power, spread spectrum to interfere with WiFi which is multi-channel much higher power. Otherwise your phone, your computer, your car electronics, etc. would never work.

IF you are operating in an area that has a LOT of other WiFi sources AND you are operating at 2.4Ghz AND there are so many WIFI sources that YOUR SPARK CANNOT find a clear channel AND you have your phone Bluetooth ON and ACTIVE , it could contribute to the INTERFERENCE you are getting that is MOSTLY attributable to other WIFI sources because then BLUETOOTH is also trying to FIND a clear channels and can't because THEY are ALL CLOGGED. IF there are many WIFI transmitters around then BLUETOOTH searching for free frequency hopping channels will become noise and raise the RF noise floor. This should NEVER happen if you are a safe DISTANCE from other WIFI sources OR you operate at 5Ghz. There should BE PLENTY of clear FREQUENCIES for both WiFI and BLUETOOTH if you are in open areas, because this is how they were designed to WORK. Designed FOR cohabitation.

TECHNICAL explanation FOLLOWS.

BLUETOOTH uses Frequency Isolation: Adaptive Frequency Hopping (AFH) is a built-in coexistence feature that is found in most Bluetooth devices today (vs. Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS) which is used by WiFi). With AFH, a Bluetooth radio scans the operating band for interference and adapts its frequency hopping patterns to avoid DSSS channels (used BY WIFI). This decreases interference (and therefore increases performance) between Bluetooth and Wi-Fi radios.

ADDITIONALLY: Today's PROPERLY designed phones and tablets use Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) as a coexistence method where Bluetooth and Wi-Fi radios (embedded in the same device and linked together with input/output signaling pins or “wires”) take turns transmitting.
An output wire is asserted by a radio when transmitting to indicate to the device on the corresponding input wire that it should refrain from transmitting during this time. TDM can be implemented between separate Bluetooth and Wi-Fi chips by linking them together via a printed circuit board. With increasingly popular combination Bluetooth/Wi-Fi chips, TDM is implemented within the same chip and therefore arbitrates between the two interfaces quickly. Poorly designed or MUCH OLDER phones and tablets may not have this but certainly all Apple and other major phone brands will have it.

Therefore, your phone/tablet to RC link should be far more reliable than your RC to drone link. That RC to drone link is operating at the margins of performance when the drone is at some distance and anything that blocks line of sight or another WIFI that transmits on the channel you are using could disrupt your connection.

However, none of this applies if DJI did something really stupid in their control apps or firmware.

I"d like to see your RF analysis that shows Bluetooth WILL interfere with a WiFi connection.

Well, um, my DJI GO4 app prompts me, at times to ensure that Bluetooth is turned OFF from nearby devices.

I may occasionally forget to turn mine off or if somebody is near me with a Bluetooth.

I'm not trying to prove a point or anything, just saying what I, and other pilots have experienced with Bluetooth.

And if DJI puts a warning prompt at the top of my screen to alert me of Bluetooth, I guess that's good enough for me.☮

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe