Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark took nosedive in creek.. Battery and spark concern.???

JimmytheRose

Join
Dec 17, 2018
Hi folks, my spark caught a branch and took a nose dive into the creek. It was under water for less than 30 seconds. I retrieved it and immediately took the battery off. Tried to turn off the battery, but will not shut down, first led continues to blink and when I press the start button, all 4 leds light up, but nothing else, goes blank and 1st led continues to blink. Been doing this for over 24 hours. The Spark seems ok, I dried it out. Just purchased a new battery, will be trying to fire it up tonight. My concern is... the battery that went into the water, is it a brick or will it come back. Does anyone know what the 1st led blinking means? All comments are welcome... thanks folks

I have read but not tried using rice to dry out the battery and spark. Cover both in rice and put in a warm spot for a couple of days. Good luck and keep us informed.

Reactions: mano
DAY 2: Battery has not recovered, still blinking 1st led, no other action, won't turn off. Spark, has recovered somewhat, begins initiation, but does not wifi link or allow new battery to charge. Fan comes on and all lights work. continuing to dry out... fingers crossed...

how are you charging the new battery in a dedicated charger or put it into Spark ?
I put it in the spark, it is now charging on day three, also, spark linked up with app and controller, will not take off because of an esc error (0x8000000)???
Also, no video picture...

I wouldn't be so eager to fly that Spark again just in just there's even a tiny amount of residual water remaining. Hopefully you to the cover of and gave it a few days of serious desiccant exposure.

Just being cautious. Hope everything turns out well
Took the cover off, looks dry, however, there is corrosion already starting around main board and some components.... not looking good.... I'm afraid she might be lost...

I would not want to use a battery that has been immersed in water, even if it seems to return to normal. I know those batteries cost money but I try to minimise risks of failure where possible.

Reactions: Andre Levite
I would try to disassemble as much as you can and use a hair dyer to dry out the spark. Just about all modern circuit boards are wave soldered and put into ….well... a special
"dish washer" to remove solder paste and other stuff...so the water will not damage the PCB just need to make sure there is no water lurking somewhere that can cause a short. BTW my first drone it was one of those $40 quadrones landed in a 90ft tree above power lines and was up there all summer till wind blew it down. took it apart put back together got a new battery , the way the battery was made it could not dry out the lipo battery. the drone worked perfect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis