Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Vs. Mavic Mini

shawnski451

Join
Dec 3, 2017
Ok, this is just my opinion but...Other than the flight time and 3 axis gimbal... I don't see any reason to spend $400.00 or $500.00 to upgrade from a Spark to a Mavic Mini... (Unless you are shopping for your very first drone). The mini looks kinda flimsy and the floppy attached props look like they are cheap and can easily break. Let's face it, the Spark has proven to be a little flying tank. I have a "cross brace" that secures the props on the Spark in place for easy of carrying on hikes and biking adventures..
The lack of function buttons on the controller and lack of features in the DJI Fly app are also a turnoff (which also lacks the ability to use Litchi, which I use often for waypoint flying). The lack of active track, collision detection, and the different smart flight features are a down grade.
Plus, I'm sure that there are many who will disagree with me, I think everyone looking to use the air above our heads, should have to register with the FAA... I think it forces people too fly smarter and safer. I'm pretty sure that the FAA will revisit this "under 250g" rule in the near future because of Minis flight capabilities being well beyond that of a toy drone. One thing that people are failing to realize is that even though the Mini doesn't need to be FAA registered, anyone who buys and flies it STILL HAVE to abide by the FAA rules. So you can still get in trouble with the FAA if you do not follow their rules. Most of the videos I make with the spark go on YouTube anyway so 1080P is perfect for now. So in my opinion, if you already have the Spark, stick with it because the Mavic mini isn't really an upgrade to the Spark at all... The real upgrade to the Spark is still the Mavic Air

Totally agree.
In my view the mini is a starter drone. Someone getting into it, Not an upgrade.
I’m happy with my spark, and will be keeping it a long time yet.

Reactions: shawnski451
I have both a Spark and Mavic Air (I bought the Mavic Air back in Aug) and I still use the Spark quite often... Maybe even more than the Mavic Air Maybe because I have 4 batteries for the Spark and get a lot of flight time. I personally like the Spark because it gives you not only amazing video but I actually kind of like the "flying aircraft" look the 2 axis gimbal gives to the video.

I have the Spark and Air also, I would not say "amazing" about the video quality of the spark, but more like "decent enough". Biggest drawback of the sparks video is too narrow FOV and choppy live video feed. It's more a selfie and photo drone if you ask me. The video of the Air is miles ahead.

I have the Spark and Air also, I would not say "amazing" about the video quality of the spark, but more like "decent enough". Biggest drawback of the sparks video is too narrow FOV and choppy live video feed. It's more a selfie and photo drone if you ask me. The video of the Air is miles ahead.
I think that the Sparks video quality is better than Decent Enough. I've made some videos with the Spark and they look awesome on my 4K Samsung TV. I've flown waypoint missions over 3 miles long and not a single issue. Now, I didn't say that the Spark is flawless either... You're right about the video feed and the FOV. But you have to admit, the Spark is pretty amazing for what it is and what it can do even more than 2 years after its debute.

The fact that you can fly almost anywhere, no registration or permission is totally worth it, waiting to see how it all pans out price wise on the used market and i might swap the spark for a mini (plus $)
Before the mini i had in the plans to get a Pro, that way i have a big boy and a vacation drone.

Also the flight time is superior on the mini

I think that the Sparks video quality is better than Decent Enough. I've made some videos with the Spark and they look awesome on my 4K Samsung TV. I've flown waypoint missions over 3 miles long and not a single issue. Now, I didn't say that the Spark is flawless either... You're right about the video feed and the FOV. But you have to admit, the Spark is pretty amazing for what it is and what it can do even more than 2 years after its debute.

Yes, the Spark is great for what it is. I really like it!

The fact that you can fly almost anywhere, no registration or permission is totally worth it, waiting to see how it all pans out price wise on the used market and i might swap the spark for a mini (plus $)
Before the mini i had in the plans to get a Pro, that way i have a big boy and a vacation drone.

Also the flight time is superior on the mini
Not sure what the big deal with the whole no FAA registration needed thing is... Registering with the FAA isn't a big deal at all. The thing is, you still have to abide by the FAA's rules. I'm sure the FAA will revise this rule in the near future seeing how DJI worked a loophole that the Mavic Mini fits in.

Not sure what the big deal with the whole no FAA registration needed thing is... Registering with the FAA isn't a big deal at all. The thing is, you still have to abide by the FAA's rules. I'm sure the FAA will revise this rule in the near future seeing how DJI worked a loophole that the Mavic Mini fits in.

Well said. I can imagine the nuisance young rookie pilots going to every public park or beach with a Mavic Mini in their pocket can create.

Well said. I can imagine the nuisance young rookie pilots going to every public park or beach with a Mavic Mini in their pocket can create.
Not only that, but with the anything goes mindset, they'll be flying in places that they shouldn't be. Probably create more issues and more rules for the FAA to clamp down on everyone.

Now that the Mini is in the hands of some regular folk, I would like to see how it compares to the Spark in terms of durability and cold weather flying for those who have both.

Durability: I have read, over at Mavicpilots, that some are finding the MM plastic feels flimsy. We all know the Spark is built like a tank. It has a solid feel to it.

Cold weather flying: How does the new Mini perform in cold weather? My Spark flies the same in cold weather but the gimbal often sticks and I often need to pitch it up and down a few times to free it. Will this be the same with the Mini?

Would be interested to here from those who have both ACs.

Chris

Reactions: Ifestion
The real upgrade to the Spark is still the Mavic Air

Agree 100%. The MM vs Spark is somewhat of an apples/oranges scenario. It is not a complete upgrade from the Spark. Also, I see comments around this forum about flying the MM "anywhere". I'm not sure everyone realizes there are geo locks on the MM just like all other DJI drones. In fact, a post this past Monday on the Mavic Pilots site noted that at this point in time it is not possible to unlock the MM in Authorization Zones. That ability is believed to become available later in December with a firmware update. Not sure on what authority they make this firmware update claim. Good lord, can you imagine if DJI never allows the unlocking?!? Link to this thread below.

Mavic Mini DOES NOT support unlock in no fly zones yet!

Joe

The MM is tempting, especially the 3 axis gimbal and long flight times, but I use the pano features extensively on my Spark. I also prefer to have manual control available for video, so until DJI or third party developers add these features to the Mini I will be keeping my Spark.

Chris

In WNY today, it is 26°F. I'm taking the Spark out for some Wintery Cold weather flying. Hopefully get a video up here by the end of the day.

Totally agree.
In my view the mini is a starter drone. Someone getting into it, Not an upgrade.
I’m happy with my spark, and will be keeping it a long time yet.
True to a point I have the best of 3 world's a Mavic Platinum a Spark finally just ordered the the Mini will arrive at the end of this month.

Chrislaf sez..that the Spark is built like a tank and that is pretty much key for me. I can carry it around in my hand and it really feels solid and tiny. My Air doesn't really have that same feel and I'm hearing that the Mini is fragile...That's a big minus. Quiet is a plus..the longer time is not a big deal to me but it would be if it were faster and you could send out out on a longer mission..but we all know that we only fly line of sight and it gets boring to just watch your drone for 20 or 20 minutes

Reactions: Ifestion

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme