Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Sparky and Me Go to the Mountains

Rekanix

Join
Feb 27, 2018
This is one of the first videos Sparky and I have made - what excites me about today is that it's the first time that Sparky made it a mile out! Now, my question is this: what do you think about the quality of the video? Is there anything I can do to change the settings for higher quality? YouTube says it's 1080p. I did use a polarizer filter, but I don't think it looks filtered - perhaps because it was kind of cloudy? Anyway, Sparky and I are happy with our adventures today!

Is this Ashville area? On vacation I fly North of Burnsville, on cloudy day like that I would try without the filter, for me the filters work best on bright sunny days.

Thanks for the info - I’m wondering if the filter did actually degrade the quality. This was just off of Highway 11 in SC, near Table Rock. Thanks for watching!

I mean this constructively.

PL (polarizing) filters are only useful over water, and/or highly reflective areas such as buildings with a lot of glass. ND filters are only useful for motion blur. That said, most often there is no need for a shutter speed twice the frame rate to capture motion blur. Sometimes, yes. Most times, no. This video has few vehicles, birds, or other moving articles. Therefore, there is little reason to concern yourself with motion blur, and an ND filter may not be necessary. I saw no reason for a PL filter
All of your flights appeared to be straight ahead, or up/down. If that is your preferred style, consider dedicating one of your customizable buttons to Auto Exposure lock. When you choose a direction, let the camera determine the exposure, then lock it in. If you change direction, unlock, and repeat this exposure procedure. If you want to adjust the cameras determination,adjust the EV +/-, then lock it.
I do think the atmospheric haze affected the background, but that's as it should be. That is a quality. Otherwise, be sure if it's cloudy that your settings are not on sunny because that will cool the image; excessively.
The only issue I saw with this video was the "judder". Spark video is smooth; generally. There are sections of this video where the motion appears to pass in steps like the truck at minute 1:05. It may be that the time frame of your edit is other than Spark' default 30 fps (29.97). If you don't want that (I find it distracting) be sure the time frame of your editor time line is 30 fps (29.97), and the video will become more smooth.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Ben Chapman
This is one of the first videos Sparky and I have made - what excites me about today is that it's the first time that Sparky made it a mile out! Now, my question is this: what do you think about the quality of the video? Is there anything I can do to change the settings for higher quality? YouTube says it's 1080p. I did use a polarizer filter, but I don't think it looks filtered - perhaps because it was kind of cloudy? Anyway, Sparky and I are happy with our adventures today!
Your video presentation was beautifully done. Great pacing for the most part. Loved your subtle transitions. Great framing as well. If you do use a filter, try an ND 8. The ae/lock I totally agree an incredible tool to compensate for the little gals lack of controls. But to be honest I personally did not see any lack of exposure control. Was pretty even. I do also agree with the framerate in post processing. They must be the same, to correct the studdering effect found in moving objects.
I truly enjoyed your Spark ⚡️ adventure. And can’t wait to see more.

Reactions: Rekanix
I mean this constructively.

PL (polarizing) filters are only useful over water, and/or highly reflective areas such as buildings with a lot of glass. ND filters are only useful for motion blur. That said, most often there is no need for a shutter speed twice the frame rate to capture motion blur. Sometimes, yes. Most times, no. This video has few vehicles, birds, or other moving articles. Therefore, there is little reason to concern yourself with motion blur, and an ND filter may not be necessary. I saw no reason for a PL filter
All of your flights appeared to be straight ahead, or up/down. If that is your preferred style, consider dedicating one of your customizable buttons to Auto Exposure lock. When you choose a direction, let the camera determine the exposure, then lock it in. If you change direction, unlock, and repeat this exposure procedure. If you want to adjust the cameras determination,adjust the EV +/-, then lock it.
I do think the atmospheric haze affected the background, but that's as it should be. That is a quality. Otherwise, be sure if it's cloudy that your settings are not on sunny because that will cool the image; excessively.
The only issue I saw with this video was the "judder". Spark video is smooth; generally. There are sections of this video where the motion appears to pass in steps like the truck at minute 1:05. It may be that the time frame of your edit is other than Spark' default 30 fps (29.97). If you don't want that (I find it distracting) be sure the time frame of your editor time line is 30 fps (29.97), and the video will become more smooth.

Hope this helps

Wow! Thanks for the info! So, you think it was hazy that day in the atmosphere and that probably had a lot to do with the video quality? And the truck drives me insane! I didn’t understand why it did that - I used iMovie on my new iMac, but I only have 8 GB of RAM and it struggles sometimes - I thought it might have been because of that. Thanks so much for the feedback!

Your video presentation was beautifully done. Great pacing for the most part. Loved your subtle transitions. Great framing as well. If you do use a filter, try an ND 8. The ae/lock I totally agree an incredible tool to compensate for the little gals lack of controls. But to be honest I personally did not see any lack of exposure control. Was pretty even. I do also agree with the framerate in post processing. They must be the same, to correct the studdering effect found in moving objects.
I truly enjoyed your Spark ⚡️ adventure. And can’t wait to see more.

Thank you! And thanks for the compliment - I’m certainly enjoying myself!

Wow! Thanks for the info! So, you think it was hazy that day in the atmosphere and that probably had a lot to do with the video quality? And the truck drives me insane! I didn’t understand why it did that - I used iMovie on my new iMac, but I only have 8 GB of RAM and it struggles sometimes - I thought it might have been because of that. Thanks so much for the feedback!
Yes on hazy day. If you look off into the distance on any day, you will see the blueing effect of moisture in the air; especially against the mountains. Fairly confident the truck studdering, and other studdering in the video is because of the mismatch between spark' 30 fps and the time line setting
I use Davinci Resolve 12.5 which is free, but it is extremely powerful, so there is a significant learning curve. When I import my video, the software tells me there is a mis match between the import file settings and the timeline frame rate settings. It asks if I want to align the two, I say yes, and voila smooth as silk.
You don't need to switch software just look in the help section for changing the timeline frame rate to match Spark 30 fps (23.97)

Yes on hazy day. If you look off into the distance on any day, you will see the blueing effect of moisture in the air; especially against the mountains. Fairly confident the truck studdering, and other studdering in the video is because of the mismatch between spark' 30 fps and the time line setting
I use Davinci Resolve 12.5 which is free, but it is extremely powerful, so there is a significant learning curve. When I import my video, the software tells me there is a mis match between the import file settings and the timeline frame rate settings. It asks if I want to align the two, I say yes, and voila smooth as silk.
You don't need to switch software just look in the help section for changing the timeline frame rate to match Spark 30 fps (23.97)
Being that you are only editing one drone video in a linear timeline as opposed to layering video on top of video with multiple stacked timelines, 8GB is sufficient.

Thank you! A wealth of knowledge here, and I'm grateful!

Uploading to yt drops the quality quite a lot, compare the original to the uploaded vid...
I wish there was a way round this.

Ok, so I was looking in iMovie to see how to change that frame rate and I don’t think it can be changed from what I’ve seen from other iMovie users. Do you know if there’s a way? If not, do I just make the movie like I did before and then run it through that program you mentioned to match it up?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis