Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Starting video when using hand gestures?

jimbug

Join
May 27, 2017
When flying Spark with hand gestures you can take a selfie photo using that gesture, but to start a video you would need to push the button on your iPhone or iPad display?

Ok, I see that now on page 25 of manual. So, I would need to turn off gesture mode to shoot video, and then put back into gesture mode to land it on my palm from my boat. Let me look at those steps in the manual. Thanks!

palm from my boat

I will be using it from my boat as well. Gesture mode would be awesome for that. Shame that it does only photo in that mode. But even just for (selfie) pictures from my sail yacht it is probably pretty cool.

Be careful with gesture mode on a moving boat. I dont know what the limitations are if the device can no longer track you. You need to gesture it to come back. If you keep moving and loses tracking and cannot see your gesture then it might hover and decide to land in the water.

Be careful with gesture mode on a moving boat. I dont know what the limitations are if the device can no longer track you. You need to gesture it to come back. If you keep moving and loses tracking and cannot see your gesture then it might hover and decide to land in the water.
I would only use the gesture to controll during the selfies, after that I would switch back to the remote, i wouldn't even trust the smartphone for bringing it back to land.

But good points for sure.

Reactions: yo-dude
Its a real shame they don't have a gesture to record video, i would love to go for a blast on my bike and whip out my spark, gesture to it to automatically track me, follow me and record video then when I stop i could beckon it back and stick it back in my jacket.
I would hazard a guess that the gestures are not done in software but are hardcoded in one of the chips because of the processing power needed to perform them. This meaning they might not be able to change or add new gestures.

Where did you guys find the manual? DJI doesn't even have instruction videos made yet.....I bought a SPARK but comes with no manual. Am I missing something?

Yes, videos emphasize slow steady motions and watching for green light/red light changes. Spark has built-in feedback to user if he knows what he's looking at.

I would only use the gesture to controll during the selfies, after that I would switch back to the remote, i wouldn't even trust the smartphone for bringing it back to land.

But good points for sure.

yup!!!! gesture mode on a moving object.... uuuuh...methinks not. asking for disaster around water.. you may notice it takes a quick pic below itself. and if you moved....big ooops

When in gesture mode if you send it away it is tracking you and following you. Make the Y signal and it comes right back to you. I have been doing this on land and would be sure it is working well before trying it on the water.

I'm wondering if they can't add video to gesture mode because it has to be able to assume all motion is a gesture. If it's following you across the finish line and you raise your arms in triumph, then what? Since selfies are motionless, less chance of confusion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex