Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Storing batteries in foam case: thermal overload during discharge?

Northern Bob

Join
Feb 8, 2019
Loc
Saint Lazare, Quebec
Let me describe a hypothetical case and then ask my question.

I have returned from a flying mission and recharge my three batteries in hopes of flying the next day. Perhaps a large weather front moves in faster than expected and prevents flying. For whatever reason the batteries remain in my case for 10-12 days before use.
At the 7-10 day mark I understand that these Intelligent batteries will auto discharge to 60% (?).

My question is this: as the batteries are surrounded by dense foam, a great insulator, would there be significant heat trapped by the foam to be detrimental to those batteries during discharge? If you have any knowledge/first hand experience about this I’d love to hear from you.
NB

Let me describe a hypothetical case and then ask my question.

I have returned from a flying mission and recharge my three batteries in hopes of flying the next day. Perhaps a large weather front moves in faster than expected and prevents flying. For whatever reason the batteries remain in my case for 10-12 days before use.
At the 7-10 day mark I understand that these Intelligent batteries will auto discharge to 60% (?).

My question is this: as the batteries are surrounded by dense foam, a great insulator, would there be significant heat trapped by the foam to be detrimental to those batteries during discharge? If you have any knowledge/first hand experience about this I’d love to hear from you.
NB

The discharge rate of intelligent batteries is extremely slow - it occurs over several days. In my experience any trace amount of heat seems to dissipate as quickly as it is formed. This is despite that foam is a poor conductor of heat and there is zero air circulation.

Occasionally I must store my batteries right after charging due to foul weather. But the case is in an air conditioned room at 78F -- batteries get much much hotter during use or when case is out in sunlight.

Crazy question tho... If you are so concerned the batteries will overheat during medium term storage in the foam case --- why don't you put them on the shelf instead?!?

Reactions: McCloudSpark
You will probably be fine..but

Since learning how flammable lipos are when I studied for part 107 I bought fire proof bags and keep all my phantom in one Mavic in another And spark and other small drones in a third. I also purchased individual fire resistant sleeves for each battery to keep them from getting all scratched up . Figured this was the safest since I keep mine in cool dry basement out of sight. I’m ready to travel. Next time we fly the batteries are ready to be carried on. I usually keep them around 30% stored.

I only keep mine in drone case but still out of drone When I am flying that day.

If you poke a hole in a lipo (harder to do with the plastic case around ours)it releases toxic fumes and starts on fire... difficult to put out and will do damage to surroundings quickly.

You will probably be fine..but

Since learning how flammable lipos are when I studied for part 107 I bought fire proof bags and keep all my phantom in one Mavic in another And spark and other small drones in a third. I also purchased individual fire resistant sleeves for each battery to keep them from getting all scratched up . Figured this was the safest since I keep mine in cool dry basement out of sight. I’m ready to travel. Next time we fly the batteries are ready to be carried on. I usually keep them around 30% stored.

I only keep mine in drone case but still out of drone When I am flying that day.

If you poke a hole in a lipo (harder to do with the plastic case around ours)it releases toxic fumes and starts on fire... difficult to put out and will do damage to surroundings quickly.
...and is virtually impossible to put out the fire.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme