Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Strobes and Daytime VLOS

Northwood Mediaworks

Former Spark & Mavic Air 2 Flyer
Premium Pilot
Join
Jan 15, 2018
Loc
Northern Ontario, Canada
Web
northwoodmediaworks.com
Just posting this as I know some folks are curious about strobes, perhaps it will help someone. I came from the Spark to the MA2, so as its about twice the size when unfolded, I was happy that it would be just that little bit larger in the sky. However, with aging eyes and varying contrasting backgrounds, its going to be small just a little later that it was with old Sparky!

With that in mind, I took the online advice of many and purchased some strobes. In my case, the Firehouse Technology ARC 2's. I had just one on the Spark, so I have now purchased two more (all three go on the MA2, I move one back when flying the Spark). I can now say that it really does improve finding the bird in the sky when trying to maintain VLOS. I made a short video today, which I will upload soon, (rural internet is too slow, city on Wednesday) so those speculating can see what its like on a day like today, where we are, its overcast and thunderstorms are looming. I placed one on top for manned aircraft reference. One red on the front and one white on the back.

Here's a still from that flight, it may seem like a speck at 210 feet, but without it, the drone would disappear in the backdrop of the trees. When flying on even brighter days, I still find it really helps extend my visual contact with the drone, I will sometimes place both on the rear of the drone, doubling the flash. At dusk/in the dark, these things are like little lightning bolts!

Arc at 210feet.jpg

Hope this helps the undecided. its a small investment but well worth it. I used velcro to attach to the spark, i purchased mounts for the MA2, one velcroed to the battery on top.
Cheers.

Fly safe!

I almost purchased that one for the Spark and then seen that it is bigger than the strobes I have.

I have upgraded to the dual cree strobes.

I liked one of the reviews on the Arc 2.

"Waaay better than the old ones. I can see it during the day." :)

Just posting this as I know some folks are curious about strobes, perhaps it will help someone. I came from the Spark to the MA2, so as its about twice the size when unfolded, I was happy that it would be just that little bit larger in the sky. However, with aging eyes and varying contrasting backgrounds, its going to be small just a little later that it was with old Sparky!

With that in mind, I took the online advice of many and purchased some strobes. In my case, the Firehouse Technology ARC 2's. I had just one on the Spark, so I have now purchased two more (all three go on the MA2, I move one back when flying the Spark). I can now say that it really does improve finding the bird in the sky when trying to maintain VLOS. I made a short video today, which I will upload soon, (rural internet is too slow, city on Wednesday) so those speculating can see what its like on a day like today, where we are, its overcast and thunderstorms are looming. I placed one on top for manned aircraft reference. One red on the front and one white on the back.

Here's a still from that flight, it may seem like a speck at 210 feet, but without it, the drone would disappear in the backdrop of the trees. When flying on even brighter days, I still find it really helps extend my visual contact with the drone, I will sometimes place both on the rear of the drone, doubling the flash. At dusk/in the dark, these things are like little lightning bolts!

View attachment 13213

Hope this helps the undecided. its a small investment but well worth it. I used velcro to attach to the spark, i purchased mounts for the MA2, one velcroed to the battery on top.
Cheers.

Fly safe!
Good idea, I have a single strobe which I rotate among the fleet..

View attachment 13213

Cheers.

Fly safe!
Thank you well done.

So as mentioned earlier, here is the video that goes with that still.... There are mounts for the Spark also, however I used velcro on mine, swagged down from the top at the back of the bird, so you could swing it out of the way to get at SD Card and release the battery.

Reactions: Spark 317

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme