Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Strong magnetic interference

Dabbler90

Join
Jun 5, 2017
I work in a plant with massive drive motors for a steel production line and wanted to do an aerial view of the process. Is there a way to use the Spark, or Mavic for that matter, that will not result in a potentially dangerous situation?

I work in a plant with massive drive motors for a steel production line and wanted to do an aerial view of the process. Is there a way to use the Spark, or Mavic for that matter, that will not result in a potentially dangerous situation?

If either platform doesn't "like" the immediate environment, you should get an error or advisement message on the screen indicating what's making them unhappy.

The biggest problem I've found is that they don't like rebar in concrete floors. I've just had to find "sweet spots" where I don't get the error message, mark it for future reference, and take off from there. Landing is not a problem...I just land anywhere I want.

Thanks, just powering up either vehicle brings up "Strong Magnetic interference" warning. I attempted 1 flight and it was NOT pretty. The equipment survived, but I was a nervous wreck!

You can turn on ATTI mode so the drone would no longer need compass - but that brings on a few other challenges and if you aren't an experienced pilot it may not be the best idea either.

You can turn on ATTI mode so the drone would no longer need compass - but that brings on a few other challenges and if you aren't an experienced pilot it may not be the best idea either.
Really? I guess I am a bit inexperienced, I didn't know it was possible to manually switch mode on the Mavic or the Spark. Where would that be in the Go 4 app?

You can not manually switch to Atti mode on the Spark.

Perhaps on other Drones, but not the Spark.

Some have wrapped aluminum foil around the rear half of the Spark to block the GPS and force it into Atti mode?

Last edited:
You can not manually switch to Atti mode on the Spark.

Perhaps on other Drones, but not the Spark.

Some have wrapped aluminum foil around the rear half of the Spark to block the GPS and force it into Atti mode?

If you are indoors, as the OP indicated was his situation, you're already in a GPS-denied environment. No foil needed.

Yeah, I thought about that after posting...

Thank you all for your input! Next attempt I will better document exactly what happens, whether I fly or not. Again, thank you.

I had a RC disconnect due to interference and i was in an open field, not near any large equipment. Still unexplained, it happened without warning. Luckily, the compass was fine and the auto-RTH worked. My theory is my android phone was not in airplane mode and attempted a bluetooth sync with my fitbit OR someone intentionally tried to stop by flight.
My thought is maybe around your area you might be fine at take off but then suddenly not... Good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena